First attempt at Pop Sounding Song

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Guys,
Thank you in advanced for taking the time to view this song and I would like to have peoples opinion on how the song sounds on the creative perspective, how the melody sounds (in my opinion it might be a little strange) and if I could get some help on what I should do better eq and mixing wise that would be a huge help since I am relatively new at this.Thanks again for your time and courtesy
https://soundcloud.com/jonathan-rivera0 ... ns-bootleg

Melody/songwriting, sound combination and actual arrangement is great. Length is perfect.
Mix has some sort of slight muddiness preventing the clarity of the instruments and voice coming through.
Is that reverb or some effect on the main keyboard part or on the master channel?
My latest crazy track "The Quick Brown Fox sampled the Lazy Dog": http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=425647
15 Free DIVA Presets: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5892108

Yea Synchanter thnx for the feedback and yea I did put reverb on the main keyboard part and then I added a bit of extra reverb on the master channel cause I thought that might make it sound "better".

Synchanter wrote:Melody/songwriting, sound combination and actual arrangement is great. Length is perfect.
Mix has some sort of slight muddiness preventing the clarity of the instruments and voice coming through.
Is that reverb or some effect on the main keyboard part or on the master channel?
Yea I put some reverb on the piano and on the master cause i tried making it sound "better"

Could dial back the reverb, especially on the muffled drum part at 0:30.
IMHO I guess the reverb is being used to tame the louder parts and to glue the whole thing together.
Instead compression on the louder instruments could work, and EQ adjusted on each channel to enable all the parts to fit together.
My latest crazy track "The Quick Brown Fox sampled the Lazy Dog": http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=425647
15 Free DIVA Presets: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5892108

Synchanter wrote:Could dial back the reverb, especially on the muffled drum part at 0:30.
IMHO I guess the reverb is being used to tame the louder parts and to glue the whole thing together.
Instead compression on the louder instruments could work, and EQ adjusted on each channel to enable all the parts to fit together.
Alright, thnx will do brooooo :D

Too much compression on master bus, causing vocals to almost disappear when the main beat kick in. Please be gentle :) .

As Synchanter said, EQ every channel, cutting every freq you don't need.

For example, high-pass everything but bass and kick.

Vocals seems to have some artifacts. Did you stretched it too much?

As far as composition, you're good to go. Top notch melody & harmony :tu: .

First attempt at Pop Sounding Song: Almost Achieved!

Hope this helps you!

XorXisT wrote:Too much compression on master bus, causing vocals to almost disappear when the main beat kick in. Please be gentle :) .

As Synchanter said, EQ every channel, cutting every freq you don't need.

For example, high-pass everything but bass and kick.

Vocals seems to have some artifacts. Did you stretched it too much?

As far as composition, you're good to go. Top notch melody & harmony :tu: .

First attempt at Pop Sounding Song: Almost Achieved!

Hope this helps you!
Thnx XorXist for your time and explanation will take all of this into consideration next time and yea i just opened up the project and I agree, I think I might have stretched it out a little too much

...I would like to have peoples opinion on how the song sounds on the creative perspective, how the melody sounds (in my opinion it might be a little strange)
Yeah, I think you did a good job with it.
The melody is still there in the vocal and the ducked chords are still effective holding it all together. Maybe it was confusing to some to be your original song composition, i`d be sure to make this more clear that it is not. You have mangled it creatively, and adding what seems to be your own sounds as well, and turning it into a dance mix...no?
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

annode wrote:
...I would like to have peoples opinion on how the song sounds on the creative perspective, how the melody sounds (in my opinion it might be a little strange)
Yeah, I think you did a good job with it.
The melody is still there in the vocal and the ducked chords are still effective holding it all together. Maybe it was confusing to some to be your original song composition, i`d be sure to make this more clear that it is not. You have mangled it creatively, and adding what seems to be your own sounds as well, and turning it into a dance mix...no?
Yea I didnt made this song I just got the acapella and figured out the three chords and just went from that, other than that I made the synths and everything else so it was basically a remix. I wanted to give it a dr luke kesha type of sound though just way cheesier though lol.Thnx for you time and opinion.

Yea I didnt made this song I just got the acapella and figured out the three chords and just went from that, other than that I made the synths and everything else so it was basically a remix. I wanted to give it a dr luke kesha type of sound though just way cheesier though lol.Thnx for you time and opinion.
Ah...I see! I couldn`t tell what was yours and what was altered from the original.
All was yours besides the vocal...now this shows very skilled and creative work!
I think it turned out very well, and the sound came out well...except maybe for the vocal drop-out...if that wasn`t intended.

PS: listening again i`m wondering how you managed the vocal re-arrangement.
It sounds chopped and made to fit a new time signature...or is it just moving along more quickly? It also sounds a little re-pitched?
Just curious if you don`t mind sharing how you did it?
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

annode wrote:
Ah...I see! I couldn`t tell what was yours and what was altered from the original.
All was yours besides the vocal...now this shows very skilled and creative work!
I think it turned out very well, and the sound came out well...except maybe for the vocal drop-out...if that wasn`t intended.

PS: listening again i`m wondering how you managed the vocal re-arrangement.
It sounds chopped and made to fit a new time signature...or is it just moving along more quickly? It also sounds a little re-pitched?
Just curious if you don`t mind sharing how you did it?
Yea I use FL Studio and the original acapella is at a much slower bpm thats why I had to go in the sample and look at a couple youtube videos on how to stretch the sample so that is why it sounds a little weird and off beat at times.

Return to “Music Cafe”