Which hosts and subhosts fully support VST3 now?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I only know of 2 that seem to fully support VST3 - Cubase/Nuendo and Studio One. I don't use Sonar or FL Studio though so not sure what level of support they offer. Just being able to load a VST3 plugin is not in itself full support if the host does not also support and load/save the VST3 native preset format (which is vstpreset format). Several hosts that claim VST3 support fall down when it comes to loading/saving presets.

Full support
Cubase/Nuendo
Studio One
Sonar X3
Plogue Bidule
FL Studio

Partial support
Tracktion 5
Metaplugin
Samplitude Pro X2 (to verify re preset support)
Last edited by aMUSEd on Sat May 23, 2015 10:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Samplitude Pro X2 (Just released and now supports VST3)

Including their presets?

aMUSEd wrote:Including their presets?
I'm not sure about that.

My guess is VST3 is pretty much a strict standard, so it might include Presets. but it is safer to ask Magix.

I would have thought it did, at least previous plugin formats have always had their own 'standard' preset format and that is what is used by plugins that rely on the host to handle preset loading and saving which should be built into every host that conforms that that standard for cross compatibility. For VST 2 that's fxb/p and AU it's aupreset. Although some VST3 plugins do handle their own preset management (as do an inceasing majority of other formats these days) there are still some that seem to expect the host to handle it - Padshop for example, and these all use vstpreset as the format. Hosts that are compliant with that standard like Studio One handle this just fine, my concern is that some companies are skipping the preset handling part and just adding in the ability to load the plugin, which may be simpler but means in practice you can't use plugins like Padshop in VST3 format.

Bidule now has some support for vstpresets - it loads them but in one long list - still needs to be able to navigate between different subfolders.

Reaper 5 has added VST 3 support.

HobbyCore wrote:Reaper 5 has added VST 3 support in the Reaper 5 pre1 test version.
FTFY.

A good start but it's not all there yet, so far no support for vstpresets (let's hope they don't forget this) and many VST3s refuse to load on my system.

How about VST 3.5 and the latest VST 3.6
Are they any good?
No-one seems to mention them.

No idea if even Studio One supports the latest VST3.6 yet, or what difference that would make. Do any of them?

does this also take into account the per-note expression thing? i'm not aware of s1 supporting that?
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

I don't think it does, so really no hosts support the VST3 spec fully except Steinberg ones. But I do think there is a difference between a host not supporting certain features like per-note expression or side chaining, and not even being able to load a plugin's presets. At the very least if they are going to support loading a plugin they should allow loading and saving of its presets, otherwise what is the point? It's pretty basic really.

I've been on the fence about upgrading Sonar to X3, but according to Cakewalk:
X3 has a fairly deep VST3 implementation. All prior operations common to VST2 are supported of course, as well as a bunch of VST3 specific ones. Some highlights are:

...VST preset support. You can save and load VST3 presets in the .vstpreset format.
http://blog.cakewalk.com/developer-note ... ancements/
Bachmaninoff

bachmaninoff wrote:I've been on the fence about upgrading Sonar to X3, but according to Cakewalk:
X3 has a fairly deep VST3 implementation. All prior operations common to VST2 are supported of course, as well as a bunch of VST3 specific ones. Some highlights are:

...VST preset support. You can save and load VST3 presets in the .vstpreset format.
http://blog.cakewalk.com/developer-note ... ancements/
That's cool - I was wondering about Sonar as it's PC only so I've not been able to try it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”