Running a daw in a vertual machine?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am thinking about loading up my old XP system and daw in a virtual machine on my new win7 rig.

I wonder if it would work out... will the asio driver work, how will my virus TI behave, will my daw find all the patches and samples i used in my projects... and so on...

I am looking for some opinions

any help is very apreceated!

greetings

Why? Why not just run under Win7? Or dual boot?

"Will it work" is a broad question based on a lot more detail than you've provide. What's your "real" hardware? What was your "real" hardware on XP? What VM software are you considering? What other workloads would run alongside the VM? Probably many other questions...

hey, tnx for the response.

as to why:

I have set up a very elaborate system with many things over many years.
recreating it on win7 is not 100% possible

Dual boot is not an option because of your third question: hardware.

Unfortunately my XP is running on a soket 775 mainboard with dualcore and refuses to boot on my new i5-2500k (bluescreen on startup)
Rest of my HW is basically the same, i think the mainboard is the issue.
So i have alrdy seen someone mention that the VM will have the same problems and that i will have to boot in savemode and delete the
conflicting drivers to then install the needet ones.

And even though i am using PC's for a very long time iam not quite sure how do detect and eliminate this 'conflicts'
Other than my DAW i worry about little things

As to what software i wanna use: I intendet to try Microsofts Disc2VHD and load it in the some of the supporting freeware hosts

greetings

Latency will be much worse under VM. If your installing XP fresh, it should be fine. You may need to find an XP SATA driver for some chipsets though. You cant easily take a HDD from one machine to another and expect it to boot without problems. This is due to mobos having different chipsets. That also applies to trying an existing XP install in a VM.

tnx UltraJv for the tip with the latency. I will try to get rid of the old chipset drivers and configure the XP Hdd as dualboot in my new rig

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”