Best and worst DAWs?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just out of curiosity what everyone thinks :D

I personally use LMMS though I don't know if I would say that it is the best, I find that once you figure out some of the quirks/subtle parts of it that you can really do a lot with it. I also like the set up with how it will divide into measures for you but also let you know the time ect. and it supports a wide variety of vsts and effect plugins. Definitely a good option for someone cheap/poor like me.

I also tried Reaper once, I didn't like it, and for some reason the connotation of Fruity Loop's always made me shy away from it. Plus why pay when I can get something that does the same thing for free?

edit: fixed typo
Last edited by Katelyn on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Merry Christmas everyone!

(Thought I'd start on a high note before this thread goes downhill) :hihi:

Best: REAPER.
Why? Cost, flexibility, efficiency.
Downsides? A bit tricky to learn at first.

Also Best: Maschine.
Why? Ease of use, natural, musical workflow.
Downsides? Quite limited in what it can do.

I love them together. Yin and Yang.

Worst? Who knows. Tracktion maybe. It used to be good -- but now it's so clunky and not well supported.

It depends on what you're working on. I use FLS for electronic and playing synths. Sonar for standard recording. I used AngryRedPlanet's Temper and did a lot with that in the past.

I only know Reaper, so-

-low cost, no real need to upgrade, ever
-renders videos
-basics are very easy to use(other stuff may not be so easy)
-low cpu
-stable
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

robojam wrote:(Thought I'd start on a high note before this thread goes downhill) :hihi:
:hihi:

/accidental post/

(no option to delete your own post? >.> somehow hit the quote instead of edit when distracted)
Last edited by Katelyn on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nope, if you get sick of us you can edit the original post and lock this, though
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

The worst thing i ever tried is Dark Wave Studio. Actually the version i tried first didn't even startup, but crashed with an error message... i heard it's best suited to produce Dark Wave. Says it all. :hihi: Some LMMS versions were one bug fest too. I'm happy i landed with some more solid DAW's quickly...

Reaper

Best: Cubase .. feature packed ball of recording and editing goodness.

Worst: Cubase .. totally retardomatic UI and mouse clickathon.

LIke women, can't live with'em, can't live without'em.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Reaper wasn't too bad actually, it had its up- and its downsides. Very stable, very CPU efficient, accepted any plugin i threw at it, even some Synthedit stuff which wouldn't run in Cubase. The downsides being that i probably would have spent weeks to get into it, to configure it to my likings. I probably would have configured it to act like Cubase more or less, but looking at the midi editor, i don't think that would have been possible in every way. Oh, and the literally 20 entries long menus annoyed me big time. I know there's a way to change literally anything about it, but really, i'm into making sounds, not into configuring stuff. It has to fit for me, and Reaper didn't. Also, i need a bit of base content to play around, and Reaper doesn't offer that either. But it's anything but the worst DAW for me. But IMO, you more or less need to know what you're doing to use it.

Best? The one that helps you develop your ideas as you want them, in a fast and efficient way and with the best quality.
Worst? Those that are unreliable, difficult to work with or lacking the features you need.

As we all have different needs and different ways of thinking/working, there are no best and no worst daw.

The one I use is clearly the best.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:The one I use is clearly the best.
I considered that a fact not worth mentioning. :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”