Modular Synths...What Am I Missing?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh I see. You want to make VSTs.

Well then... Synth Edit is about it.

I've tried just about every software modular there is (and still get new things like OSCillot - a Max For Live device).
Nothing beats the 15yr old Nord Modular.
Reaktor comes close but is not as accessible.
Being able to create crazy feedback networks and cross-plug control with audio signals is where it's at.
Bazille is the only VST I recall that can actually deal with this.

secretkillerofnames wrote:Oh I see. You want to make VSTs.

Well then... Synth Edit is about it.

I've tried just about every software modular there is (and still get new things like OSCillot - a Max For Live device).
Nothing beats the 15yr old Nord Modular.
Reaktor comes close but is not as accessible.
Being able to create crazy feedback networks and cross-plug control with audio signals is where it's at.
Bazille is the only VST I recall that can actually deal with this.
While creating VSTs is a nice option, being able to use the modular AS a VST in my Cubase is a must. It appears WREN is just a standalone EXE which makes it totally unusable.

I did recently get Bazille and love it even though I consider it semi modular.

I take it the 15 year old Nord Modular is a hardware synth, correct?

The Nord Modular was hardware dsp with a software editor. Clavia did release a "demo" version which was a standalone software only version, with certain limitations compared to the hardware.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:The Nord Modular was hardware dsp with a software editor. Clavia did release a "demo" version which was a standalone software only version, with certain limitations compared to the hardware.
Yeah, well that doesn't help me either. :(

It seems like you've already tried most of the likely candidates. :shrug:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:It seems like you've already tried most of the likely candidates. :shrug:
Yeah, looks like until somebody comes out with the ultimate modular soft synth. MUX and KarmaFX are close but they're missing too many modules. Reaktor, you need a physics degree to really make a modular like what I'm looking for and I just don't have the time or patience to start digging into that thing and building my own.

i use eXT 1.4 and make my own simple modules in SE.. http://www.spaceraiders.co.uk/sick.html

spacedad wrote:i use eXT 1.4 and make my own simple modules in SE.. http://www.spaceraiders.co.uk/sick.html
Thanks but it's 32 bit and I'm on Windows 7 64 bit and most SynthEdit stuff doesn't work on my PC.

so am i,you just put them in your program files (x86) folder.

Winstontaneous wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Vaz I tried downloading the demo and Chrome gave me a virus warning and actually blocked the download. Wouldn't even give me the option of bypassing. Very strange.
I downloaded VAZ using Chrome (on Mac) last week and didn't get any errors.

Out of all the software modulars I've tried VAZ inspires me the most. I own KarmaFX, Tassman, Reaktor, Bazille, Kaivo, and Aalto; and have tried Sonigen, MUX, Void, VST Forx and pretty much everything else.

In VAZ it's trivial to set up multiple BPM clocks, microtonal scales (per instance, synth, or however many you want within a patch) and free-running (or synced) step, CV, or drum sequencers. There are enough low-levelish models to create elements similar to those found in Serge and Buchla synths. I've yet to hear a crazier (yet still-controllable) Comb or MS20 filter, even in this era of Zero Delay Filters. It has the only Granular implementation that sounds/feels "vintage" (if that makes sense--like what Dennis Gabor or Iannis Xenakis might have heard in their pioneering experiments).

Of course, it's 32 bit Windows only and no longer for sale as of the first of the year... :dog:
WAT? NOOOOOOooooooooOoOoOoo!
Sales of VAZ Synths products have been suspended in order to comply with the change in UK/EU cross-border VAT regulations effective 1st January 2015.
What does that mean?

Anyway, I love VAZ. Ugly as hell, but easy to work in and sounds great. Raw. I've always thought it was a UI makeover away from being a top contender in the software modular department.

And, wagtunes, why don't you consider Zebra 2 to be a modular?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
Winstontaneous wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Vaz I tried downloading the demo and Chrome gave me a virus warning and actually blocked the download. Wouldn't even give me the option of bypassing. Very strange.
I downloaded VAZ using Chrome (on Mac) last week and didn't get any errors.

Out of all the software modulars I've tried VAZ inspires me the most. I own KarmaFX, Tassman, Reaktor, Bazille, Kaivo, and Aalto; and have tried Sonigen, MUX, Void, VST Forx and pretty much everything else.

In VAZ it's trivial to set up multiple BPM clocks, microtonal scales (per instance, synth, or however many you want within a patch) and free-running (or synced) step, CV, or drum sequencers. There are enough low-levelish models to create elements similar to those found in Serge and Buchla synths. I've yet to hear a crazier (yet still-controllable) Comb or MS20 filter, even in this era of Zero Delay Filters. It has the only Granular implementation that sounds/feels "vintage" (if that makes sense--like what Dennis Gabor or Iannis Xenakis might have heard in their pioneering experiments).

Of course, it's 32 bit Windows only and no longer for sale as of the first of the year... :dog:
WAT? NOOOOOOooooooooOoOoOoo!
Sales of VAZ Synths products have been suspended in order to comply with the change in UK/EU cross-border VAT regulations effective 1st January 2015.
What does that mean?

Anyway, I love VAZ. Ugly as hell, but easy to work in and sounds great. Raw. I've always thought it was a UI makeover away from being a top contender in the software modular department.

And, wagtunes, why don't you consider Zebra 2 to be a modular?
I consider Zebra 2 semi modular because it's not completely open ended. You're limited to 4 OSC's, 4 FM OSC's and so on. Yeah, you can build a pretty big beast but to me, modular means I can have 16 OSC's if I want, like with Sonigen Modular, which may be the best free modular out there.

wagtunes wrote:I consider Zebra 2 semi modular because it's not completely open ended..
...and everyone with a hardware modular bursts out laughing.... then starts crying.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I consider Zebra 2 semi modular because it's not completely open ended..
...and everyone with a hardware modular bursts out laughing.... then starts crying.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

(that said, I'm fine with people finding Zebra semi-modular - certain aspects of classic modular synthesis are not available, such as circular routings and "audio rate everything". Which afaik are also not present in some of the softsynths that are commonly considered modular...)

wagtunes wrote:I am actually considering Reason but am waiting until I have the extra funds for it. It is a bit pricey but it's definitely on my watch list. Love the way Thor sounds and what you can do with it by itself. Probably after I do my taxes in April and get my refund, I'll look into it.
Not only that, you can find RE's that allow you to have a more modular approach - doing it myself right now with these (pretty cheap too):

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... lar-synth/

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... lar-synth/
Sweet child in time...

Maybe a stupid question:

Is there a Software Modular which comes with no Midi and Patch saving?

Return to “Modular Synthesis”