Old software for old hardware

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
Just for fun I set up an old PC (Pentium III @ 1,4 Ghz, 768 Mb RAM and a Roland UA-100 audio/midi interface), and now I ask to myself which software i could install on this PC.. I have a licensed copy of Cubase SX 3, which SHOULD run without issues on this machine (minimum requirements claims an 800 Mhz processor and 512 MB of RAM).

I will also record MIDI instruments, so I also need some "light" VSTi instruments..
Will be ok Cubase SX 3 for this old machine?
As for VSTi instruments I'd like to install some drum machine, synthesizers and arpeggiators.. Some advice? I could also install free software, or searching for some discontinued product.
Thank you.

I think, OpenMPT is great for you.

Check the steinberg website, they've released many of there legacy plugins, E.G. the model E.

Here's a few old commercial softwares that are now available as freeware. Maybe something from here?

Steinberg VST Classics Vol.1 and 2.

Rebirth.

E-MU Proteus VX.

Thank you, pigfront. I will try OpenMPT.

@ bill45: Thank you, I will take a look.

@ sprnva: Yes, I was thinking to these old software for free, but I am unable to find them. Some download links? Thank you.

Ok, I have found these software :-)

In anyway: would be a goodchoice, Cubase SX 3, for that old machine? There would be something better in terms of hardware requirements? On the manual of the Roland UA-100, they show and old version of CakeWalk.. Which version of CakeWalk would be ok for that old PC?

Many thanks.

You could try finding a Reason 2 license on eBay.

SunVox should also do very nicely; comes with everything you requested.
http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/

i have an old Dell Pentium 3 Windows Me OS that i use. host-wise the only thing i got to work were older versions of Audacity & VST Host. Milkytracker worked great. Pure Data worked great. Glitch worked excellent. i really didn't have any problems w/ any free VSTs, Plugins, Effects etc. & there are a ton of them out there that work fine. the main thing is tracking down older versions but you'd be surprised how many are still available.

Mu.lab had some latency issues & VST scanning problem but did install. Reaper had latency issues & i had problems using it w/ Pure Data so i ditched it. there were some others like EnergyXT & things like that which did not work due to latency or would not recognize my OS. maybe some would have worked if i had XP...

i also just recently downloaded some newer VSTs so i am going to see if they work or not.

its very do-able but it just takes a little research finding out what works & what does not.

As already said, trackers should run more than fine on a setup like this! I recall trying my first steps with music making using MadTracker on a single-core Celeron 1.4GHz-based laptop with only 256mb ram. Also try searching for really old versions of Fruity Loops (pre-6.x)! As for plugins, reFX Claw (then free) and anything from that era :hihi:

You could check the Kvr news database for software for those years when this hardware was current
Amazon: why not use an alternative

cakewalk-sonar.en.softonic.com/download

I think it's CWS6, not sure. It says 8.5. It's 101MB FYI

M1 and Wavestation?

Giova84 wrote: a goodchoice, Cubase SX 3, for that old machine?
I used SX2 on a much higher spec'd machine than that and felt very underspec'd for most of what I did. If you're just going to schlep loops around on it you'll be okay.
The minimum sys requirements particularly then were kind of disingenuous and marketing-driven IMO.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”