'90 - '00 old school sounds (trance, rave, hard, acid...)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, I've been lurking this wonderful site for a lot of years, but now it's time to be part of it.
You guys seem to be experienced in almost everything, so I'd like to ask what is the best way to reproduce a track like Lost in love, by Legend B.
The synth, the arp, the bass, the drums, the pads, the effects, etc. Arturia collection can help? What do you guys think is the best way to emulate these fantastic sounds? I don't think I can afford hardware instruments and I know that hardware will always sound a bit different from digital...

Hope I get some answers, thank you !

Never heard that track before (and never will again). That's cheap music, for that kind of stuff any standard synth with supersaw will do. Drums are also primitive, so take some free samples and spread them in your DAW 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote:Never heard that track before (and never will again). That's cheap music, for that kind of stuff any standard synth with supersaw will do. Drums are also primitive...
I didn't post this to know your musical tastes ^^
Drums are also primitive, you mean classic 808, 909 etc? What effects are put on them? What about the bass? Saying "supersaw" is not really helpful :\

Thanks anyway for the answer mate

These are very beginnings of trance, just pick the worst synth you can find and try standard patches. There's not much to reproduce in terms of sound.

Thread title is in fact confusing.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Well what title should have I used?
Anyway not really useful, again...

How about some actual sound examples? You can't just say "TrackXY", and then expect someone to tell you how every single sounds in that track have been done. That would be like asking "How do i make a trance track". Well, there's gazillions of possiblities...

Jones and Stephenson - The first rebirth
Albion - This is for
Legend B - Lost in love
Mega 'Lo Mania - Moonsign
Meng Syndicate - Sonar system
Sunbeam - Outside world
There's actually too many so I'll just ask what kind of synths/drums (I bet 303, 909, KORG M1) were used during that time, basses, etc. I know it's a generic question but there's literally nothing on internet

Sigon wrote:Well what title should have I used?
Anyway not really useful, again...
You need a synth capable of doing Supersaws and Bass, for example: http://www.superwavesynths.co.uk/product_ultimate.htm

There are many other VST's that can do this as well

Also a Roland TB-303 emulation like one of these: http://www.acidvoice.com/tb_303_vst_plugin_software.htm

And also some 909 type drums: Either samples, free VSTs like http://marvinpavilion.ojaru.jp/en/sound/vst.html or payware like http://www.d16.pl/drumazon

'90 - '00 is old school? Am I getting old? :o

Sigon wrote:Jones and Stephenson - The first rebirth
Albion - This is for
Legend B - Lost in love
Mega 'Lo Mania - Moonsign
Meng Syndicate - Sonar system
Sunbeam - Outside world
There's actually too many so I'll just ask what kind of synths/drums (I bet 303, 909, KORG M1) were used during that time, basses, etc. I know it's a generic question but there's literally nothing on internet
Well, you may take a look on Vintagesynth.com then, maybe you'll find your artists on some synth's page then (just type in your artist in the search form, i just tried, and it works great). I don't know what to answer to your question, because you listed tracks again, which probably feature loads of sounds, and asking for what synths or drum machines the artists used at that time is indeed generic, because you probably can answer that with "all of them, or none, it depends really". The best would be to post a Youtube vid of one particular track. Then you ask "How was the bass made". Or you ask "What drum machine was used for the drums". That can be probably answered quite easily.

Sigon wrote:Hi all, I've been lurking this wonderful site for a lot of years, but now it's time to be part of it.
You guys seem to be experienced in almost everything, so I'd like to ask what is the best way to reproduce a track like Lost in love, by Legend B.
The synth, the arp, the bass, the drums, the pads, the effects, etc. Arturia collection can help? What do you guys think is the best way to emulate these fantastic sounds? I don't think I can afford hardware instruments and I know that hardware will always sound a bit different from digital...

Hope I get some answers, thank you !
Ahhh Lost in love, one of my favourites!

A gated supersaw, analogue synth bass, 909 drums and throw in some 303-esque filter action and your back in 1999. :hyper:
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

Wow Sigon, you really had bad luck with repliers here. "Cheap music" "worst synth". I feel really sorry that those people are your first experience as a poster here. No worries though, not everyone is like that :)

Personally i love that track. I have some sweet memories of it! When i was 15 i went to Austria on a trip in order to learn (improve) my german. We went there a buss (me, a few teachers, and a lot of strangers my age). Im not sure what city it was, probably Berlin, but we stopped there and i went browsing in stores for music. This was in the age of CD's and online buying hadn't started yet, at least not for electronic music. Anyway, i found this cd called Rave Computer there. Really good mix. Some people may look down on it but when it comes to trance it's not about how good synth or sample you use. Im seriously puzzled by that way of thinking. Hypnotizing people with music is not easy. Sure, high bpm and that chopping sound are hypnotizing. Back then though there were no trancegates which just about every synth has these days. I remember doing something like that in a Cakewalk with the volume CC. No quantisation so it took a looong while to get it right. Not 100% tight so a lot of character :)
These days you can have a compressor and all that on everything. Back then ... not so much. Now you have people working full time making samples that will tear down any club.

Making music in that style today is hard. You can't ignore the progress of electronic music since then. Trance in early 00's sounded huge in comparison. Supersaws to no end! :D

I would think that Legend b had one or two analog synths, a rompler from roland and a sampler .. akai or emu. All this connected to a mackie mixer. Three effects units and maybe a cheap compressor or two.

Using stuff like alchemy or nexus is a pure overkill for this.

Arturia, Diva and/or synths from TAL is what i would recommend to cover the analog. Alpha Juno and Juno 106 are more likely to have been used than a jupiter. I can't believe those guys back then earned so much money on this that they could afford minimoogs and modulars. MS-20.. SH-101 guaranteed. A 303 of course! D16 has one and so does Audiorealism. The latter has a version 3 coming out "soon".
As for drums i recommend a sample set from Zenhiser called RetroTech Drummer http://www.zenhiser.com/retro-tech-drummer.html
It's basically sounds from that time but with modern know-how and processing. They did a really good job on that one.

And then the rompler stuff. This is the stuff like choirs and strings. My first rompler was a CS1x from Yamaha and by todays standard it really sounds bleh! But you had to be very creative making the very best of what you had! Blend stuff like rock organ and electric bass to get a sound worthy a bassline.

I guess a lot of your success in doing what you want to achieve is in your restraint.

There's a sampler called TXW16x which is an emulation/inspired of a real Yamaha(?) hardware sampler from that time. http://www.kvraudio.com/product/tx16wx- ... ec/details
That one really lets you sample(!).
One way to keep restraint could be to pick 2-3 analog emulations and then sample them into TXW16x. Remember there's a limit on your sample memory! TX16Wx is kind enough to provide how much you use. 16Mb should be about right.

As for effects etc im not sure what to recommend. Maybe VintageVerb from Valhalla would be right. Delay... did you get that one from Native Instruments? Standard EQ and compressor should work. Not sure you need much emulation there. I like SK Note's Cuttertone. It lets you mono the bass but also apply some kind of frequency compression. It has something to do with preparing for pressing vinyl though im not sure for what purpose but i sort of really like that plugin! The C165 compressor is really good too! It has a sound with it's autosetting that would work really well! While not essential for this but while mentioning SK Note i must say that MatterTone is really great for bringing drums a nice snap!
If you want console emulation (i think you should! it's fun and it feels good ^_^) i recommend Klanghelm's SDRR (sex drugs and rock'n'roll!) in desk mode. You could sample through the digi mode as well! The toys we have today.. it's fantastic :D

If i remember the track right it uses a reverse reverb on the kick. I think no vst reverbs has that. You can emulate it if the reverb has a gate mode and some other settings but there's no simple solution for Alesis's MicroVerb 4's preset 18 :D

Please post your progress and sound examples. I'd like to hear how it's going!
:hug:

Thanks to everybody
And, woah Crackbaby, your post is so much gold, gonna read it again tomorrow when I have time to search all this stuff so I can understand better how this cheap music was created :^) ahaha, no really, thank you!!

Before buying all the stuff, I figured I'd better post here. I usually don't like when people talk about thousands of vsts and then only use half of them, that's why I'm trying to sort them out.

So, (question to Crackbaby especially) what do you think about this setup?

Rompler: KORG M1 and KORG WAVESTATION, they have a lot of sounds and everybody can recognize that piano :D Totally going for these.
Drums: I don't know about that RetroTech Drummer pack; you know, I could go for a 909 SAMPLE PACK and start messing with them, using some fx to get a better kick or adding some qualities. I mean, everybody at that time used a 909, right?
Synth: Here comes the synth part. I thought about DIVA, TAL BASSLINE, SUPERWAVE ULTIMATE. I don't know if I should go for the ARTURIA reproductions (they got the Jupiter, CS-80, Prophet, MiniMoog, etc), but I honestly have no idea if these are indispensable if I'll get the first three.
Acid VST: I don't think I can go wrong with ABL2, lots of people say it's the best and I heard some sound sample. It's friggin' cool!
Effects: Still not sure what's essential here and what is not. Will look for some of the mentions you did in your post CrackBaby

Thanks

Nice choice, my suggestion would be:

-Korg M1 (sound of the 90ies indeed)
-909 kit (nothing else needed, techno defined)
-Synth: Zebra, Hive (or Sylenth) can do all 90s sounds (especially Zebra has some nice oldskool-patchbanks), no need for emulations here as no one will notice in the mix.
-303: ABL2/Phoscyon, or you even could get away with doing your own 303 sounds with the synths I mentioned, only golden ears may notice in the mix, :P
- FX: Camelspace (now offered often in the MP) for that inevitable Trance gate,
-maybe a free sampler like Zampler for those cheap 90ies vocal stuttering/pitching effects.
-some cheesy free vocal samples ("BASS!!", "E-E-E-Ecstasy!", "I need your love"...) you may find on every other Computer Music DVD... :lol:

Don't know why people bitch about Legend B, of course by today's production standards it may sound 'cheap', but back then it was really cool stuff, a real techno trance classic which moved a lot of people.

Kids these days... :roll:

Return to “Production Techniques”