Program Change events with Step Sequencer MIDI clips

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I'm just having a play with Tracktion 5 to record some MIDI accompaniments, and I wanted to set up a 2 bar count in.

The best solution I could see was to set up a MIDI Step Sequencer clip at the beginning (quite quick, but did I miss any other obvious way?)

That's fine except I can't see a way to send a program change - the midi gets sent out to a digital piano, and I need to send a MIDI Program Change (including Bank Change) to pick the right percussion set.

The normal MIDI instruments let me set a program change for the whole clip, but I couldn't see a way to do that for the Step Sequencer clip (or for the individual sequencer clip tracks).

And, is there any way to name the step sequencer tracks or note names?

Thanks for any help or clues you can offer!
Steven

3. Program Change: Take a look at p113 in the T4 manual (obtainable from downloads on the T site). I'm trying to work it out, but not doing very well. You might manage better!

4. Step sequencer track rename: click on track details area at left of track and it'll let you rename it in the Properties Panel.
Note: if you click on the numbers (1-8) at the left of the Step Sequencer Clip, it'll let you change the note in the Properties Panel.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Thanks Jabe - I think your suggestion "3." is what I've done - I put an empty normal MIDI clip at the start of my percussion track, selected channel 10, and set "Send Program Change" for the whole clip. My step sequence clip comes right after the empty clip, and is configured to output to Channel 10 too. It seems to have worked, and I just have to ignore the silent bar at the start of the edit.

I had already set up the MIDI output for my digital piano in the MIDI section of the Settings tab, so that the correct bank MSB and LSB values are available for each bank of patches. Which makes sense to me, though it wouldn't have a couple of weeks ago. :D

For the step sequence clip "Track" names, I don't want to rename the whole track in the edit - I've got that named "Count in", which works fine for me. In the T5 Step Sequencer clip there are 8 little "mini tracks", numbered 1 to 8. I sort of wanted 1 to say "sticks" and 2 to say "snare", or something similar. I guess I can just click them and listen if I forget :)

busywait wrote:For the step sequence clip "Track" names, I don't want to rename the whole track in the edit - I've got that named "Count in", which works fine for me. In the T5 Step Sequencer clip there are 8 little "mini tracks", numbered 1 to 8. I sort of wanted 1 to say "sticks" and 2 to say "snare", or something similar. I guess I can just click them and listen if I forget :)
New in T6... ask and ye shall be given...
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Return to “Tracktion”