Digital Sound Factory Emu Emax- is it worth $99

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/node/27

Do they even have redistribution rights? Is there a good free sample pack somewhere? Thanks.

i believe the company owns all rights to emu products and sounds and or just sounds.

Can't say if it worth 99$ but I doubt that there are any problems with licensing as they were the ones who recorded and programmed many of the soundsets in E-MU synths and samplers.
No signature here!

DigitalSoundFactory normally does several sales over the year where one can save 30% to 40%. Definitely worth to wait a while with the purchase.
And you have to be aware of that what you get are basically the (more or less) dry samples of the Emax. Most of the special features of the original hardware, like e.g. special filters, are missing. So the sound you get from these sample packs may differ from the original hardware.
Instrumental synthwave/synthpop with classical elements: https://www.feiyr.com/x/CaMResonance2022

They even have 50% off sales and I would say it would be worth it at that price if the sounds appeal to you.
Many of their sets are based on the EMU samples though, so if there are specific sounds you want, check them all out and see if you might get one of the less expensive sets to fit your needs. (But definitely wait for 50% off sales and watch the Cakewalk Store closely because they sometimes do a blow out equating to even more off).

OP is asking about the Emax bundle - not the Proteous bundle, Cakewalk does not carry the EMax bundle.

The Factory EMax sounds were not all that great originally, there were some gems that might still be useful but generally anybody that bought a EMU EMax was sampling their own sounds and not using the factory sounds really.

There is noting or no information provided about if the samples have been converted to stereo or if the samples have been resampled to 24bit etc.

I would not buy them. basic Kontakt factory sounds would be pretty much the same or better today.

The Proteous sound libraries have been converted to stereo 24 bit but they really don't live up to having the original hardware in side by side comparisons.

I used to own a EMU EMax II SE with hard drive. I never used or kept the factory floppies, I always traded samples with friends or made my own.

MachineClaw wrote:OP is asking about the Emax bundle - not the Proteous bundle, Cakewalk does not carry the EMax bundle.
They do however, carry the 'smaller sets' based off a selection of samples from it though. Which is what I was recommending the OP to check out also.

I agree with MachineClaw. I had an Emax for many years, and always found the factory sounds to be utter crap. Okay, that's too harsh, and I suppose there were a few gems. But still, I would say that no, it is not worth buying.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

The real problem is the fact that the sounds are well dated and have little use for most anything but nostalgia for most people. Not to say they are crap or worthless though. They still can find a place for anyone knowing where to use them. I personally find the hardware versions and even the emu software versions much better than the samples for either Kontakt or DimPro just like the last two comments have pointed out, and there seems to be a jump in quality/presence between Kontakt and DimPro libraries too.
But I don't think they're crap.
And I would still wait for the 50% sale DSF has about once a year.

Okay, I'll be watching for the sale. Totally worth it. Cool. Thanks.

What "emu software versions" ? Where?

Like the free Proteus VST? The same sample base?

arkmabat wrote:What "emu software versions" ? Where?
I still have my Proteus X2 and a couple of libraries.
It hasn't worked on any OS for me after Vista though.

arkmabat wrote:What "emu software versions" ? Where?
As I said above I have no experience with the Emax pack but I do have the Proteus collection for Dimension Pro and I also use E-MU Emulator X3 with all the E-MU libraries quite a lot. And there is a clear difference between the sounds. Emulator X3 libraries make full use of the filters, modulation and FX options and they do sound almost identical to the real hardware modules. Dimension libraries are more like basic RAW sounds and sound often lifeless and thin.
No signature here!

Okay. Thanks for the explanation. The drum sounds are part of my interest, and raw would be fine for that I'm guessing.

Return to “Instruments”