"Inappropriate" effects on the master channel

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm starting to develop a habit of sticking some totally wrong effect on the master channel, setting it to 100% dry signal, and doing some automation to let some wet signal through at key points, especially the very ends of sections. A trance gate with a filter to turn the whole track into one giant pluck, for example, or a big delay so that everything turns into a whoosh, the suddenly goes back to normal.

So, is anybody else into doing things like this, and what are your favorite effects? I seem to use KillerGate+ a whole lot, usually starting with the filtered arp preset.

I'm not even doing this to be creative or original, I'm convinced it really works for mainstream pop/EDM tracks without making them sound weird. It really just sounds like there's another instrument showing up briefly in the mix.

LiveCut :party:

I'm using a delay in this context. Make an one or two bar pause and turn the delay 100% wet at the last kick hit (then back to 100% dry again).

Other usual suspects are glitch/stutter plugins (I like NI Finger, it is very convenient to trigger it from a MIDI channel).
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

A tempo-synced tremolo is fun on the master.

I like to put weird textures on the master and then mix them in like 1% wet. Quite good is a short reverb going into something that'll texturise it, or something like Plogue Chipcrusher. This can really fill out the background of the mix.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I did a remix where I put GrossBeat on the master and tweaked it in real time.

Some interesting ideas. I've been thinking of trying truc2 - it can tempo-sync all kinds of effect parameters in fancy ways. Fading in the wet signal from that for a bar or two with something like distortion amount falling every quarter-note could be a good way to really emphasize the end of a section, then let things go back to normal.

Not really sure what qualifies as "inappropriate" but I often have like 6 different kinds of EQs, 3 seperate instances of a clipper, a compressor, and a limiter - which I think qualifies as nerfing the SHIT out of the dynamics, which might not be appropriate, fortunately the industrial-like stuff I have been doing lately seems to feed off of this idea, which it was probably the style that drove me to nerfing the dynamics so much, rather than me nerfing the dynamics to lead me to an industrial quality.

In some cases I have used D_Blue Glitch on the master bus to automate between the unglitched track and the glitched version. Though when I do this it's usually as a very brief, one-off, spurt. Like I used it's gate effect to chop up the end of the climax of a song before.

Sometimes I put a high-pass or low pass (or both) filter on the master for automations sake, in fact, I don't see any more logical way of doing this, unless - say, like in my most recent track I posted - you don't want EVERY single instrument to get filtered.

In a couple of cases I do believe I have add "dirty-a-fiers" which just had a variety of different destructive knobs to make the outgoing signal nasty. In one extreme case I believe I also used a vibrato coupled with the "dirty-a-fier" to really make the signal ugly and out of tune.

I tend to use logic's phaser on master track with uncoloured, lowest modulations and (very) lightly dry/wet mixed signal to induce a discreet, vertiginous feel on some arrangement

I do that rarely. The projects I remember where I put a plugin as effect on the master buss used:

- U-He Satin as a heavy tape saturation effect, but not automated, just as a sound flavor
- SondToys FilterFreak as HP-sweep in the break
Last edited by stardustmedia on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Stutter Edit (used extremely sparingly!), Permut8 (to sometimes turn an entire track into a bristling mess before going back), Valhalla Shimmer (or any reverb, really) to get the track lost in oblivion, granulators, Turnado, you name it. Messing with an entire track at once is a really neat effect if you don't overdo it.

Krakatau wrote:I tend to use logic's phaser on master track with uncoloured, lowest modulations and (very) lightly dry/wet mixed signal to induce a discreet, vertiginous feel on some arrangement
thanks for the idea, Krak !
I'll bet this sounds cool . . . (he goes away to mess with it) . . .
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

ariston wrote:Stutter Edit (used extremely sparingly!)
Wish I could use SE on the master.. that'd be fun. Curse you, Logic, and your midi routing..!

Naenyn wrote:
Wish I could use SE on the master.. that'd be fun. Curse you, Logic, and your midi routing..!
Yeah... Logic and its MIDI routing. But there is an easy work around. Just route everything to a buss without an output. Open a new instrument track, add Stutter Edit as MIDI-controlled plugin and route that track to the master buss.

Your whole song now plays at your finger tips ;)
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Naenyn wrote:
Route your master track to another track that can accept midi
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Effects”