Cockos Reaper or the new Cakewalk Sonar hi fidelity/oversampling question.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Massive message that's actually very interesting for those in the know yet massive. I'm curious as to whether anyone out there is using Cockos Reaper or the new Cakewalk to upsample & oversample and save at a high bitrate and sampling rate (DSD quality in Sonar 384 kHz in Reaper) projects that are either purely digital that upsample best or mixed projects with sampler sounds as low quality as 16 bit 44kHz mixed in with pure digital sounds and other samples maxing out in bitrate and sampling rate at 24 bit 48 kHz such as Sonic Couture Geosonics.

Has anyone tried upsampling and ultra quality oversampling the afformentioned sound selections with an upsampling quality of 384 kHz and a bit rate of 32 or 64 bits with a quality mix and a superb DAC and listened through good headphones or speakers? If you have does it sound awesome? Cubase 8 won't do higher bit rate and sampling rate than 32 bit floating point and 384 kHz sampling rate but awesomely the new Cakewalk (unfortunately PC only though) can do *DSD* quality now.

There is zero available DSD media that is electronic that I know of but i can really sense how much difference listening to cd quality music upsampled to 192 kHz 32 bit in Apple's Audio Fidelia audio player makes. It's really sweet so I would assume upsampling to DSD and mixing down to DSD could be awesome. Just many steps closer to analog DSD is. All of the current DSD music available for downloadable purchase is limited to classical and jazz unknowns. There's nothing else. I don't dig that.

You could listen to things ranging from David Crosby - If I Only Remembered My Name, to Depeche Mode - The Delta Machine, to Miike Snow to Steve Reich to Robert Rich or even I.D.M. or Beck through Audio Fidelia and upsample it and it sounds sweet whether originally digital or originally analog.

Audio Fidelia is recommended from http://www.audiofile-engineering.com and I'll jump on Reaper if Cubase is never jumping on the DSD bandwagon just assuming mp3 128kbps streaming is good enough. 128 is "good enough" for many but I'm very curious about DSD. Some of my mixes sound very similar at cd quality to blu ray quality. I like to mixdown at 24 bit 96 kHz at the highest but I want to experiment with top fidelity mixdowns. Long drawn out post full of content hope someone reads acknowledges and answers.

The DAW Reaper's demo indeed seems wonderful even though it's low budget. Oh there's also http://www.signalyst.com HQPlayer for Mac and Windows that is way higher end than Audio Fidelia and only twice as expensive btw. Audio Fidelia is $70 dollars but has issues with loading files into the playlist for me and I tried the hi fi player JRiver but it lags a lot and seems buggy.

JRiver can do movies and music and a bunch of other stuff but if it chokes and malfunctions like I noticed with the demo it's not good enough. So many cheap apps out there JRivers around $50 dollars. So someone please tell me if they've tested hi fidelity mixdowns with any type of electronic music or even any other genre. Someone out there should do something like buy Cakewalk and do something really nice with with a new super DAC and report. What I notice in terms of oversampling with Voxengo and 2CAudio Aether is that the mixdowns take way longer but not much more really when comparing. And it seems like presence and clarity and punchiness of sounds can make a cd quality soundsource or modestly compressed soundsource sound as good as any other quality soundsource.

The sounds need to be normalized also to match higher quality mixdowns. I swear Reason could probably trick the listener out there that it was a 1 million dollar setup if someone simply copied presets from a famous electronic musician and programmed in or played all of the sounds through rewire with the right compressors and eq's if necessary. Ranging from Richard D. James to Depeche Mode to Richard Devine to New Order to Devo to whatever else. It would be indistinguishable from the original if a pro uses Reason. I want someone to do a remake and post it. Reason will never do higher than 192kHz though I assume and will always have a margin of weaknesses.

Post finished.

-Syn :wink:
My YOUTUBE slideshows, etc. - https://www.youtube.com/user/samabate2k

Up sampling will not create information that's not already there.

While you can massage the sound to make it different, there is no magic to make it 'better'.

DSD is usually captured upon record . For what it's worth, Reaper & Sonar don't actually edit/process at DSD rates, they only import/export DSD files (files are downsampled/converted to PCM for editing/processing). I think Pyramix is the only DAW which can manipulate raw DSD data - and you'd need DSD compatible hardware to listen to these files (btw - Steinberg actually built DSD support into the ASIO spec something like 10 years ago).
vespesian (sean)

You're in an amazing state - so stay there.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”