Ipad/TraktorDJ --> PA

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What is - from an audio quality perspective - the best way to connect an IpadAir (lightning connector) to an active PA, e.g a Yamaha DXR 10 http://www.disconetto.dk/images/monacor/DXR10_amp-p.JPG. As the pic shows the Yamaha active speakers have a mini mixer with XLR, 1/4in. jack and RCA-Ins.

Simarly what would be the suggested way to connect the IpadAir to a Yamaha mixer MG10XU, given that the mixer has a USB B plug and that you apparently can connect an Ipad as audio source via USB Audio. http://www.multimediashopping.it/pimage ... 49-581.jpg
I am, however, not aware of any Lightning to USB B connector?!

Lastly: Is there a noticeable difference in audio quality whether to use the headphone out or the lighning out on the Ipad?
Last edited by FrankT on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have not used lightning output for audio on the iPad, so I don't know how much this will help, but I've used headphone output and Traktor Control Z1 output, and I've never noticed any real difference in audio quality between the two.
DAVE'S LOUNGE
Podcasting the best in chillout, trip hop and downtempo music on the internet.
www.daveslounge.com

It is funny you mention the Traktor Z1 as I ordered one 2 hours ago :-)
I found a dealer who ships it with lighning to USB cable (B plug), so apparently I don't need any additional connectors such as Apple camera kits.

It appears I can use this cable also to directly plug my Ipad Air into the Yamaha mixer MG12XU. On this note: I have tested a Yamaha stagepas 600i yesterday and I could directly plug the default Iphone lightning/USB cable into the mixer. It even powered my Iphone and I could directly control and EQ the output. This is the way to go. Easy, digital and no need for silly connectors.
Last edited by FrankT on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So the mixer itself has a USB input? Nice touch. I shouldn't be at all shocked by that idea, but it never even occurred to me that anyone was doing that.

I've used the Z1 at a couple of gigs. (Live mixes here and here.) Having the physical sliders and knobs just gives me more of a feeling of control over the mix. Hope it works for you.
DAVE'S LOUNGE
Podcasting the best in chillout, trip hop and downtempo music on the internet.
www.daveslounge.com

Yep, direct USB-in for IOS devices, see here: http://im3.woodbrass.com/images/woodbra ... 600I-5.JPG
It comes with passive speakers and the mixer/amp has 680watts - should be good for anything up to 100 peps.
For more umpf you can connect an active sub, e.g. a DXS12. I A/B-ed them against the DXR10 yesterday. I preferred the DXR10, but the 600i isn't bad at all and it is a complete plug&play system. It is good value for money me thinks.

But back to the topic: any more comments on audio quality headphone out vs lighning out?

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”