Downloads... by IP Range.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I now have three companies that use "IP-Range" as part of their ID process. So once I register with one ISP, I can't ever change it for a better deal with another ISP since it won't allow me access to the user account for things like downloads and updates. This seems to becoming a trend with more companies and so far, they tell me there is no way they can change it, even by request.

I have two regular and consistent "IP-Ranges" and while one, I can use anyone's bandwidth because it's the same provider, the other shows a range from a different part of the country. It seems to me if they insist on this, then they should at least put it in your account with them and allow you to register more than one and/or be able to change it manually.

I may have to dump the companies still in operation that do this, since it means having to always support the ISP financially also. Even when they no longer are sustainable.
Last edited by BBFG# on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'd dump them too. Good grief, what the hell is up with all this bloody fascism? Maybe I'm just getting old, but things have become too intrusive, too limited, too restrictive.

Gonna probably go back to hardware and tape, and I'm not really joking. Bloody subscription models and corporate ripoff wank.

Which companies are doing this? Is Toontrack one of them? I've not really investigated their copy protection, but I do notice if I disable network access the plugin wants me to authorize it. :x

Who is doing this? I'd like to know because I have two ISPs (one for home, and one for mobile/laptop), and they both obviously operate in different IP ranges. I do music on both my home desktop and my mobile laptop.

Yeah can you list the companies that do this so I can avoid them? Thanks.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

I could think of many reasons why someone would choose to change ISP or find themselves with a different IP address. Frankly, that's one of the worst copy-protection systems I can think of.

Camel Audio (which now defunct, won't be a problem any longer).
Native Instruments - wow.
And to some extent, XLN Audio. (Although the real problem with them, is they changed the behavior of the installer again.) Before, they allowed downloading for an offline machine, but restricted it by having to be the exact same OS and bits. Now it only works by directly downloading to that machine.
(There is a fourth I won't name yet, as the problem has been only in a difference of what I registered with and what I've tried to log on with.)

I think this has to do with their 'piracy-paranoia' and it gets tiring having to disprove their accusations that I may be one just because I'm using a different ISP.

Toontrack seems to work fine using either one. As does Steinberg, Izotope, U-he, Sonar, Korg, Make Music - as far as I know right now. But if it's a coming trend, it needs to brought up now before they all do it - in hopes they either stop it or factor in the practical reality for their customers,

Yes, their names should be stated explicitly so everyone can avid them. It seems pretty stupid as where I live internet is everywhere and I could roam with my laptop between many different ISP's in a single week.

I can understand monitoring logins to your mail or social media accounts for security reason so that if you log on from a completely different country then a security alarm is tripped. But for copy protection this seems idiotic, to put it mildly.
No signature here!

I've logged into my Camel account from several different IPs. I assume we're talking about the website here, i don't know about the installer app.

Well, I'm not sure how much I know about static addresses here, but it seems to be a 'range in locality' first and then an address set by the provider along with it. So while I have a major phone company for my chosen mobile ISP, I can go to the coffee shop or diner and use their ISP without issue. Even though they're a completely different provider, it appears they're in the same range. I would think that for most, the problem comes during travel and using the ISPs available from those locations?
My particular circumstance is that I use a phone company and a satellite company, and while the range of the first is seen as the area I live in, the second (satellite) pings from a completely different part of the country. And this seems to be the sticking point with them.

And yes, I can log on to those accounts from anywhere, but I can't download from just anywhere.

n/m

BBFG# wrote:My particular circumstance is that I use a phone company and a satellite company, and while the range of the first is seen as the area I live in, the second (satellite) pings from a completely different part of the country. And this seems to be the sticking point with them.
Hmm, that may be why I haven't seen an issue. Even though I do have two ISPs with different IP ranges, they're both geographically in the USA Pacific Northwest, so probably don't appear to be in different regions.

I am a big Native Instruments user and have definitely downloaded/activated products across the two different ISPs with no issues.

I've never had problems installing my NI products (downloaded) from different ISPs, using my account...

Not me neither. :shrug:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

If you change phone/internet carriers, don't you also change IP addresses? That could be a serious PITA.

However, I changed carriers in November and have done bidness with NI since, and I have had no problems.

SODDI wrote:If you change phone/internet carriers, don't you also change IP addresses? That could be a serious PITA.

However, I changed carriers in November and have done bidness with NI since, and I have had no problems.
yes you do.
if XLN would provide a different method as their online installer, i would consider buying it.

had no problems to install NI products on 3 different ips via my account. but i always download the demo/trail versions one can auth like a full version.

i hope others wont start it.

Return to “Instruments”