Will there be a 1.3?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm really keen to find out if certain features will be added to Bitwig in the future, and if they'll be in the next update. As far as I'm aware, there's been no official word on this yet?

For me, I'd like to see:

VST3 support
Fades and crossfades
Custom key mappings and macros

There's a few other areas where Bitwig could be improved, such as better MIDI and audio editing tools, but those listed above are the most important to me. Any chance we could get an official word on the future plans for Bitwig?

Thanks.

@Eta Carinae
What makes you think there won't be a 1.3 update? Sources?

maybe he forgots the "what" upfront..

I don´t see why there wouldn't be 1.3 update or 1.4...
I think bitwig team is working hard to close whats missing functions in bitwig compared to more full grown daw before stepping into 2.0.
It feels like 2.0 will be their large sellingpoint.
That is my belief, i could have wrong. but just cause the devs haven't yet announced about 1.3 update doesn't mean
it wont come. Last time most of us got to know there would be 1.2 update during the beta testing of 1.1. Just cause Dom
was nice to share a bit secret about it, that they had nice plans for 1.2. I doubt it would be a smart move to just jump to 2.0 this quickly. I give my 2 cents that we will likely see more. I feel pretty sure about it and hopeful that it will be more 1.x updates before any thoughts of bitwig 2.0.
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

Ok. Maybe I stated it too difficult at first occasion. I will try again. Can someone give me an example of an application which has been immediately upgraded from 1.2 to 2.0? Really? I guess that would be some fascinating piece of software then. Curious.

She Changed Her Mind wrote:Ok. Maybe I stated it too difficult at first occasion. I will try again. Can someone give me an example of an application which has been immediately upgraded from 1.2 to 2.0? Really? I guess that would be some fascinating piece of software then. Curious.
Probably there are. But i bet my money there will come more updates that are 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5.
A lot of functions missing yet. 2.0 is suppose to be their flagship highly doubt they will release 2.0 as bitwig is now. But some people in this forum thought there will not come more updates that are 1.x cause they haven't been announced. I think announcement will come when they have made clear when they start working on it.
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

some kind of ghost/linked/pattern clip concept would be very nice, or some OOP like inheritance system between the clips, in this case u would able to create base(master)clips and derived clips which would able to overwrite some aspects of the base one(s)(multiple inheritance would be definitive fun :D ), and able to add new properties too it, like the block view in Reason just on clip level

diagram for the non-programmers

each car has color, horsepower, number of seats, but only the racecars have nitro, and only the trucks have trailer property, we don't need full OOP so I don't want to introduce the concept of instantiation :D
Last edited by xbitz on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote:some kind of ghost/linked/pattern clip concept would be very nice, or some OOP like inheritance system between the clips, in this case u would able to create base(master)clips and derived clips which would able to overwrite some aspects of the base one(s)(multiple inheritance would be definitive fun :D ), like the block view in Reason just on clip level
What I do understand about it is that they seem to work on some kind of 'alias' clip concept. Where you can link clips otherwise than in the arrangement view, I guess.

aliasing would be cool, but some clip level inheritance system would be superbly unique in the DAWs world AFAIK ... after it some in-built revision control system (git like) also would be good :D

xbitz wrote:aliasing would be cool, but some clip level inheritance system would be superbly unique in the DAWs world AFAIK ... after it some in-built revision control system (git like) also would be good :D
Aw yiss, I concur :)

I don't know but I wouldn't be so sure that there are going to be a lot of updates after 1.2. 1.3, maybe. But a lot of people bought Bitwig in part due the features promised for v2 and beyond, and those are cool features anyway, so I doubt they want to postpone them for too long. Since beta testing for 1.2 is going to start around the end of feb, 1.2 should be out around the 1 year anniversary. 1 year is about time to start thinking of the next major upgrade. If you go to 1.5 you could be adding 9-15 months judging by the release of 1.1 and 1.2. Then there are only so many big features to add that I can think of. If they go to 1.5 and each of those releases is as big of a deal as 1.1 and 1.2, then they may be well on their way to feature parity with Live 9 before they ever charge for a single upgrade, and can't see how that makes business sense. And personally, I think that what we've got for 1.1 and 1.2 is about enough to justify an upgrade, but that will depend on the price of course. 1.1 and 1.2 also arguably fill in the really obvious stuff that was needed to be a "real" daw, like multiout and folders and glaring usability kinks, so it's as if the foundation is completed.

All speculation of course though, maybe Dom will come around.

just mention it, because we haven't got native ReWire support, MIDI time code (MTC) based syncing(in/out) beside the already implement MIDI clock based(out only) one also would be very welcomed

Ogopogo wrote:I don't know but I wouldn't be so sure that there are going to be a lot of updates after 1.2. 1.3, maybe. But a lot of people bought Bitwig in part due the features promised for v2 and beyond, and those are cool features anyway, so I doubt they want to postpone them for too long. Since beta testing for 1.2 is going to start around the end of feb, 1.2 should be out around the 1 year anniversary. 1 year is about time to start thinking of the next major upgrade. If you go to 1.5 you could be adding 9-15 months judging by the release of 1.1 and 1.2. Then there are only so many big features to add that I can think of. If they go to 1.5 and each of those releases is as big of a deal as 1.1 and 1.2, then they may be well on their way to feature parity with Live 9 before they ever charge for a single upgrade, and can't see how that makes business sense. And personally, I think that what we've got for 1.1 and 1.2 is about enough to justify an upgrade, but that will depend on the price of course. 1.1 and 1.2 also arguably fill in the really obvious stuff that was needed to be a "real" daw, like multiout and folders and glaring usability kinks, so it's as if the foundation is completed.

All speculation of course though, maybe Dom will come around.

Makes totally sense to me... i think after 1.2 the wait is for 2.0
1.1 and 1.2 are fair free updates...

She Changed Her Mind wrote:Ok. Maybe I stated it too difficult at first occasion. I will try again. Can someone give me an example of an application which has been immediately upgraded from 1.2 to 2.0? Really? I guess that would be some fascinating piece of software then. Curious.
This came up before, with most companies in the old release cycle era, 1.5 was about as high as you would expect but versioning was different in the older development model.

When I said that Bitiwg is more of a Release early, Release often type company, Dom piped in and agreed.

A lot of software companies saw a way to make more money, started clouds releases and then called there software v2015, so they could sell an update per year, go figure. :)

I agree with what's already been said. If I was Bitwig and competing in this DAW market, I would make sure before i left 1.x for 2, the DAW was comparable to all the other DAWs it's getting compared to plus 10% functionality on top that is Bitwig original.

Just my opinion. :)

Mike
Michael Schmalle
http://www.teotigraphix.com
Surfing on sine waves

Maschine4Bitwig - Studio, MK2, MikroMK2, MK1
http://www.teotigraphix.com/bitwig/maschine

Well, they will upgrade to 2.0 when they unlock Bitwig's modular system. Simple as that.

Return to “Bitwig”