Where to start?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys, I have decided to give producing a try again, I have zero musical background. I gave up a couple of months ago and didn't really learn anything and got frustrated. I started on FL and basically all I did was make melodies and play around with that on FL Keys. This time I am on Logic Pro X. I have bought myself a MIDI Keyboard and am ready to do this seriously.

My question is this. What things should I learn? I want to structure my day so I learn about something every day. I want to be good at this more than anything else in the world. This is what I want. But how do I go about it? What kind of things should I begin by learning?
Thanks guys.
Cedrick.

You need to learn music in order to develop musical ideas.

I would recommend taking piano lessons first with a teacher that can also teach composition.

For learning synthesis check out Syntorial: http://www.syntorial.com/

For mixing pick up a book, I like Roey Izhaki Mixing Audio: http://www.mixingaudio.com/
dedication to flying

It depends ... what sort of music do you want to "produce"? For modern styles, EDM, etc YouTube has a million "how to" tutorials.

thecontrolcentre wrote:It depends ... what sort of music do you want to "produce"? For modern styles, EDM, etc YouTube has a million "how to" tutorials.
I wanna produce Progressive/Electro/Swedish House. That is the plan.

Cedrick Miller wrote:I wanna produce Progressive/Electro/Swedish House. That is the plan.
Oh, you don't need to learn music, then :wink:

You could start here.

Learning a bit about music theory most certainly would't hurt, even if you want to do electronic stuff.

I'd suggest a couple of books: The Secrets of House Music Production and The Dance Music Manual. Those along with Youtube videos on how to do certain things with your DAW/plugs should be more than enough to get started. Then it's just doing it and learning...

Music theory/lessons and continue playing/practicing every day, you need it no matter what, less you know, more you have to rely on happy accidents and way more experimentation, so that's priority, you are making music first and foremost, don't listen to people who are putting you down because you are into electronic music, many trained musicians were too, but where's fun in mocking them, right...

I would suggest just keep going like that until you start getting ideas and arrangements done fast, than start exploring synthesis and production techniques, but my sincere advice is don't jump until you get good with composition, structure, arrangements...that's foundation and you will get more eventually just having this under control than knowing how to get some flavor of month sound or production trick, that stuff end up in few minutes videos on YouTube, this stuff don't, so invest heavily into your foundation and be competent as musician.

In the end of the day, you will have more edge one day if you ever become serious about doing something more and bigger, many folks suck at doing electronic music which is popular these days, so you are one step ahead of bunch if you get music part properly, than with some good production skills, again, ahead of bunch, just don't listen to folks trying to put you down, keep going.

Some good advices here. I have been making music about year now(i'm 17 years old). It was pretty random thought at the time to start piano lessons, but it is good one. I started to go in percussion lessons too. Great stuff for anyone who wants to produce music, even with styles you mentioned.

Most times you will get advices about mixing, mastering or tools for those. Logic pro is wonderful tool. Learn to use it inside out. You don't need anything else at this point.

I'm upgrading my monitoring, audio interface and room. Then analog mono. This all after 1 year it took to get know my current tools as good I can. Learn Ultrabeat! I know it looks like spaceship, but it is worth of gold. Same with ES2.
I did my programming learning mostly with those. Keep learning and try to set your workflow as good you can.

Just some time ago I did my 1st composition for the video with piano. If somebody would have say to me 1 year ago i'm composing and playing my own music..well you get the picture.
Here's my piece for inspiration.

https://soundcloud.com/flyinggeorge/piano_work27

Just keep pushing and learning.

I wish you all the best,

-George

Flying George wrote: Here's my piece for inspiration.
Excellent, George. So expressive. It's fairly long piece for a single piano sound but you kept it interesting all the way through. Nice work.

Cedrick Miller wrote:I want to be good at this more than anything else in the world. This is what I want. But how do I go about it? What kind of things should I begin by learning?
Thanks guys.
Cedrick.
Hi Cedrick,

A lot of us find learning from videos a bit easier, I know I do.

Here are some videos that are very good at covering essentially all of the topics that relate to music production.

Music Production Video Tutorials

Good luck!
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Cedrick Miller wrote:Hi guys, I have decided to give producing a try again, I have zero musical background. I gave up a couple of months ago and didn't really learn anything and got frustrated. I started on FL and basically all I did was make melodies and play around with that on FL Keys. This time I am on Logic Pro X. I have bought myself a MIDI Keyboard and am ready to do this seriously.

My question is this. What things should I learn? I want to structure my day so I learn about something every day. I want to be good at this more than anything else in the world. This is what I want. But how do I go about it? What kind of things should I begin by learning?
Thanks guys.
Cedrick.
First off, congratulations. You have returned to the thing that made you frustrated. Why did you return? Probably because you love to do it. This in itself should be a pretty illuminating realization because a lot of people bounce around from one activity to another, letting their frustrations rule them, and without really ever recognizing the things they love. So congratulations on recognizing what you love to do.

The really important thing to understand though, is why you're frustrated. I'd venture that you're frustrated because of "the gap". What's the gap? Check it out. https://vimeo.com/85040589

The cool thing is, if you continue to do the thing you love...your experience and talent will eventually deliver to your tastes and expectations. It just takes time. If you continue, you'll eventually find yourself in a place where you are not only doing the stuff you love but creating pretty great stuff as well.

Cedrick Miller wrote: I want to structure my day so I learn about something every day.

One comment I would make is that just doing it every day is the BEST way to grow and learn.
If you do it, you will get better.

You got the right attitude!
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”