Selecting the Best Studio Monitors

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When you are looking at monitors, make sure you consider the service / warranty side of it. I have been using pro audio gear for over 25 years and had the worst service experience getting the KRK Rokit 8’s repaired (under warranty). My recommendation is that you should really think twice before you buy a KRK product for this reason.

Hey. Thanks for the heads-up. I was about to upgrade my monitors, and Rokit 8's were exactly what I was looking at. That's disappointing to hear. Any recommendations (from you, or anyone else kind enough to chime in and help out) for something rather than the KRK's, preferably in that same price range, or below? The monitors I have now actually sound pretty good, but they're just 5", and, at least with this particular model, I have a hard time getting my sub bass right with such small speakers. I definitely want to stick to more "true monitors" that produce a fairly flat sound, but I'd like to be able to hear deeper bass well enough to be able to work with it.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and advice. I really appreciate it! And EasyG, I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience with KRK, but thank you for sharing it! Peace...

Edit-- I just saw the recent threads discussing what I just asked. I see they've listed (along with Rokits) Equator Audio D8, Yamaha MSP 5 Studio, Focal Alpha 50, JBL LSR8/LSR5, and Genelec M030, among several others. I'm always open to any more suggestions anyone might have. Thanks again!

Ymaha HS line are one of the best cheap studio monitors, they are not exciting but they are honest and translate quite well.
dedication to flying

Get some small Genelecs with a sub ... I've had my 1029A / 1091A system for 18 years, never had a problem, still love 'em.

rod_zero wrote:Ymaha HS line are one of the best cheap studio monitors, they are not exciting but they are honest and translate quite well.
Yes.

I have a pair of Yamaha HS5 monitors and they sound fantastic. Very, very clean and detailed. I also have a 100w sub that I occasionally use when I want to hear any very low frequencies that might be lurking around in my synth bass parts.

The HS5's work well for me because I sit very close to them (within arm's reach), in a smaller, treated room. The HS7 or HS8 models might be preferable in larger rooms, and when sitting farther away from the speakers.

The JBL LSR305 and 308 monitors are also excellent values for the money.
http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd - 150+ synth demo videos.
DP, Omnisphere 2, Diva, Zebra, Alchemy, Sylenth1
Montage 8, Moog LP, Yamaha MOX6, Virus TI Polar

Got a pair of Avid M-Audio 40s and no matter where they sit, despite the 4" "woofers" all I get is overwhelming boom boom boom, as opposed to my Sennheiser 600s and Shure 535 earbuds. STAY AWAY!!

I am second this - Yamaha HS5 is the best monitors you can get for ~$200. But you one should consider buying 2 different monitors because human ears get quickly adopted to sound of any particular studio monitors and this affects mastering. So instead of one pair of best monitors, just get two pairs of good from different brands.

Im not too fond of KRK's anyways.

Actually I'm wondering if there is a warranty forum?
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

I would recommend to anyone upgrading their monitors to also acoustically treat your mixing room as well. This is perhaps the most important upgrade you can make. That said, depending on your budget, you can't go wrong with Mackie HR824's. Solid performers in my view. If your budget allows, I highly recommend the Focal Twin Be. We just got a pair in my studio and they are simply amazing in their detail. If money is truly no object, go for the Focal SM9s, but you're looking at over $7k for the pair.

The Yamaha MSP5's are good if you are on a tight budget. "Forward" in the midrange but if you get a mix to sound good on them, I think it will translate well in most environments.

Service and repair also highly depends on the distributor of the country. It must not necessarily link to the manufacturer. That's my experience of over 20 years of analog studio with high end pro audio gear ;)

You should tell us the whole story.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

I had the opportunity to buy/sell multiple studio monitors and test them out to the same
room.

I've written a post about them and out of my surprise I ended up selling
the genelecs to get $300 monitors...

Feel free to check out the post here:
http://musicproductiontips.net/monitors ... mastering/

Hope this helps you save money and give you the best price to value ratio.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”