"Single" presets in Rack Mode

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

Really happy with my Receptor Trio. It's great to be able to effect audio inputs to create new sounds while on stage. I have created some preset effects chains and stored them in the Singles bank to be used in Mixer Mode. For my guitar track I load in the Peavy amp modeler with all it's effects. However this does no work so well for the cajon that I use for rhythm base. Though the mic I use is well matched for the instrument it needs some EQing which I handle with TrackPlug. From there it's nice to add some dirt and another fav is to occasionally run it through the dfx Resampler. It's a fantastic way to spark some interest in the middle of a song. In Mixer Mode I have set up a Single preset for the channel I run the cajon through. I don't know how to do this in Rack Mode however. If the two sends on the right side of the GUI are dedicated to an overall reverb and an overall mastering mix (as shown in the manual) then where can I run additional effects for my cajon? I have tried using multiple channels which makes the audio run parallel but this leaves a rather thin sound when blending the straight EQ signal next to the dirty distortion. Also, adding the resampler just adds the sound to the other two and doesn't really offer a distinctly different sound. It's also fun running the cajon through the MadShifter.

I would love to be able to run the EQ'd signal though distortion and the the MadShifter. Can this be done in Rack Mode? It's frustrating to know that I can do this is the other mode in the same machine with the same OS. I should add that there are two other mic inputs that I'd like to do this with.

Thanks,

Stuart
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

I like many things in rack mode, but I miss having the effect chain option that I used frequently in mixer mode. The workaround I use is to set up guitar rig on an instrument input track to run multiple eq's, compressors, etc, though this only allows using the guitar rig effects.

I have been working with sending instruments through the Peavey Revalver. There are some cool things in there and then special effects can go through the sends (reverb is always dedicated #2). I 'm now running into the issue of global midi commands. There's an instructional video that talks about this as a good thing that once you set the CC's for on e preset then they will be the same for all. This just means that I really have to plan ahead as I program and all rack strips must be in the same order and the same quantity (2 guitar strips, 2 cajon, 1 vocal, piano, mallet, strings, what-have-you). I have more freedom with my Mac rig at school with one controller.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

I love the global midi control in rack mode you are right about the planning, but it pays off. In mixer mode I used a korg nono kontrol that I was constantly needing to change presets to control all 16 channels. I now set up my presets around my Akai mpk keyboard instead, which has a set of 8 faders/knobs. I have found for me that I am able to be much more responsive with improv when I am not having to change scenes on the midi mixer and keep track of more than 8 channels at a time (though I still end up creating some presets that have more channels...). It has been helpful for me to set up send 1 as a general reverb and compressor, with send 2 being the massive ambient verb/delay send. I have send 1 set as an insert and 2 set set as a send with the knobs on each controller channel setting the amount. the thing that has been most useful for me is using the eight programmable buttons the Akai has to send program changes for the presets that I use most often. I do dance accompaniment as well, and I have found it necessary to keep all my presets in RAM to do things the way I like to-keeping a general logic between presets with the midi control is absolutely necessary, but it allows me an incredible in accessing sounds on the fly!

Ah, yes. Understood. And it's nice to have someone who understands what I'm trying to accomplish. An accompanist at Skidmore knew of the Receptor and thought it was a programming nightmare. So far I haven't been able to prove him wrong, however, I see where you're headed with keeping knob/fader options dedicated. It's been a year of learning and reconfiguring this thing. I have so many applications and needs for this thing that it's been a little overwhelming. The guys over the phone at Muse gave me either an "I dunno" or "not possible" three times. I've been really trying not to trade in for a $800 used Mac and bomber software. Thanks so much for keeping me afloat.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

I wouldn't give up my quattro for anything! Getting my sounds/presets/controllers set has been a long and involved process, but it has been a pleasure and much less time than compared to what it took trying to do something similar on a laptop. I would recommend sticking with a limited number of programs that you know well (I mostly use kontakt, absynth, lounge lizard, and guitar rig) and creating a general template for presets: vst ch 1- melodic instrument, 2 -percussion, 3- synth.. live input ch1- guit, 2- mic... and only create as many presets in a performance tag as you can fit into ram. These are suggestions specifically for improv/accompaniment, where different limitations apply than regular performance use.
Anyway, I chose to take the "programming nightmare" over hauling 20 instruments around, so the time investment has been worth it.

BTW-feel free to PM me-this is such specific geeky stuff that there are not that many people to talk ideas with. None of the musician's I know have spent enough time with it to have interesting conversations, and my wife's eyes glaze over withing 20 seconds of me talking about it.

Return to “Muse Research and Development”