Serious question. Moog Voyager or Moog Sub 37?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

which would you choose and why?
I also have a possible connection to a Moog Voyager XL at a hard to resist figure...
Thanks in advance :-)
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

The more I read, the more I lean towards the Voyager XL...bugger.
Wishes he couldn't read...

The XL is seriously droolworthy.
If you can afford one do it man.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:The XL is seriously droolworthy.
I sent a rather cheeky email 20 minutes ago regarding a brand new XL.
Could save me $2200...australian so it's probably only worth a decent coffee...I haven't had one for years.

werp wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:The XL is seriously droolworthy.
I sent a rather cheeky email 20 minutes ago regarding a brand new XL.
Could save me $2200...australian so it's probably only worth a decent coffee...I haven't had one for years.
:lol:

Not that you will be considering resale already but I suspect the limited run of the XL will mean it holds its value a lot more than a standard Voyager.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Desk real estate being what it is, an XL would have to become my main midi controller I'd have to dispose of the ImpOSCar. ... I'm not sure I could lift the XL without having more titanium inserted in my person...well, there's that decision made. I'll have to allow an extra hour in airports getting through metal detectors. No biggie if they give me a chair..
Starts plotting.

Thinks I'd prefer the drive of the 37... But no cv outs on it...I could wait until this Tribute edition has run its course and then Moog will release the Sub 37 stage II but with 61 keys...
Then plug my cp-251 as for the third oscillator and..oh sod it, I should have been asleep yesterday :-(

The Voyager XL could open the door to modular rabithole.

but yeah if you have a good offer for the XL and you have the money get it.
dedication to flying

I have a voyager + the CV output expander. Basically the cheater XL. It is excellent working with my MU modular gear. However, I also use the MIDI output quite often just to get pitch, trigger and gate into the modular. So, depending on what you might want to do, the 37 may be just as capable as the Voyager for driving a modular.

There are so many functions in the 37 that the Voyager does not have, I'd be sorely tempted to go that direction. And then live with using MIDI to drive modular. Both are super for controlling VSTi.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I forgot that the other downside is lack of octaves on the 37 keyboard. I guess that would be an important part of the decision for a "main controller"
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Can you really go wrong with any of them? ;)

I have a 37, love it. If given the opportunity though, I'd probably go XL. CV out would be fantastic, although the new firmware update to the 37 will make it incredible.

How is the midi implementation on the sub 37? People say the voyagers don't respond very well
to things like pitchbend and other controller data. are the newer moogs any better.

bill45 wrote:How is the midi implementation on the sub 37? People say the voyagers don't respond very well
to things like pitchbend and other controller data. are the newer moogs any better.
MIDI's worked fine for everything I've tried to do with the Sub. I'm not sure if I've ever tried MIDI automating the pitchbend wheel, but plenty of other knobs automation have worked just fine for me.

I have a 37 too and love it to bits! I would feel hard to justify the price of a Voyager XL but if money was no issue - i'd get one, sure :D

Does the Voyager have a sequencer and arpeggiator? The 37's is truly astounding - realtime step edit, sequence length edit 1-64steps, ratcheting, skips, ties, rests, swing...fun!

37 will never have CV outs though.

I'd get the Sub 37

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”