Vocal manipulation

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So... 1:25 into this song.. I have no idea wtf is going on with that vocal sound there!! Anyone got any idea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pXEQQLSFNk&t=1m25s

Might be a synth with a formant filter. On listening to the whole thing, though, it could be a lot of manipulation in Melodyne or Auto-Tune.

It sound like the morphing between voccals and a flute, probably done in Kyma. I know Simon's got one.

I came back here after listening to it a few more times, now convinced that it's a synth sound (probably based on a pulse wave) through the kind of voice box used many years ago by Peter Frampton. After seeing PHY6's post, I'm not so sure.

little Kyma demo... http://youtu.be/nt9tXXaXRrM

That sounds like somebody using the auto mode in auto tune or any of the other billion plugins that do that effect. Regular Cher effect with a slightly slower correction speed and a singer who can actually sing.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

that's nowhere near what autotune can do.
this is realtime morphing. The ipad is only used as a controller to control the Kyma hardware.
Imagine the same with vocals and a flute, and there's your answer to the OP's question.

Sounds like Kyma to me.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I can do that with auto tune, or cubase's pitch corrector, or the Melda thing that does the same shit. All you need is a formant control and an adjustable correction speed combined with a good vocal take. You guys seem to want to make this more complicated than it needs to be. I'm sure you could do it with kyma as well, but it would take a whole lot longer.

JJ

Sounds pretty boring to me

Ah_Dziz wrote:I can do that with auto tune, or cubase's pitch corrector, or the Melda thing that does the same shit. All you need is a formant control and an adjustable correction speed combined with a good vocal take. You guys seem to want to make this more complicated than it needs to be. I'm sure you could do it with kyma as well, but it would take a whole lot longer.

JJ
I doubt you can do it any quicker in autotune, or at all, since what you hear here is spectral morphing, even playable in real time. Whit a lot of expression,in pristine quality.

Knowing the fact that one of the bandmembers from Younger Brother owns/uses a Kyma and makes these kind of sounds frequently in his productions.

So the answer to this topic would be:
It's done with spectral morphing.

There is a new version of Morph coming soon, now made by zynaptic....morph 2, that looks really exciting.

There is absolutely nothing in that sound that couldn't be done with the human voice, any of the tons of formant correcting pitch correction plugins on the market and a delay. It's just somebody going weeeoooheeeoooheeooh while singing a neat scale very well and being auto tuned. On some of the lower notes you can hear the formant being tweaked, and you can hear the correction speed being automated as well. You could do this with kyma, but it would be a huge waste of resources to make a very simple sound. There is no need for an audio morphing algorithm to do this.

JJ

Thanks for the feedback guys, kyma does seem like a good bet

Ah_Dziz wrote:There is absolutely nothing in that sound that couldn't be done with the human voice, any of the tons of formant correcting pitch correction plugins on the market and a delay. It's just somebody going weeeoooheeeoooheeooh while singing a neat scale very well and being auto tuned. On some of the lower notes you can hear the formant being tweaked, and you can hear the correction speed being automated as well. You could do this with kyma, but it would be a huge waste of resources to make a very simple sound. There is no need for an audio morphing algorithm to do this.

JJ
:clap:
Clusterfrog wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys, kyma does seem like a good bet
:dog:

... the have a flautist and a kyma.. and the effect sounds similar to the one on the demo video. Sorry but it's a no brainer.

Return to “Sound Design”