Why no Program to make a Daw?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You know how you could make your own video games back in the 80's with some video game maker software? why not something like this for making your own Daws? Templates for common and uncommon daw features and you build it up?

memyselfandus wrote:why not something like this for making your own Daws?
That already exists and will require only 10 years to learn :

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/produ ... mmunity-vs

https://developer.apple.com/xcode/

For a lot worse results and lots of burned time and nerves one might be crazy enough to try something like Max to build a custom music making environment :

https://cycling74.com/

:hihi:

I guess the first step could involve creating a program that will code for you. or something

memyselfandus wrote::hihi:

I guess the first step could involve creating a program that will code for you. or something
I think the problem in creating an app to build DAWs is that in no time it would start requiring more and more stuff that need to be implemented in the building blocks themselves, rather than by things the user could himself could build. Then it would lead to the same old situation that features are missing because the developer of the "DAW building app" didn't want to or couldn't add the features...

If it was a viable idea, it would have been done already. Reaper by the way comes quite close. Substantial parts of it are programmable by 3rd parties via the C++ extension API and ReaScript. But of course various things are missing with those possibilities too...And of course there are no friendly GUIs for building those things, because no one has bothered doing them.

I think people who desire the utmost control over their music making process will just learn to code or at least use something like Max, PD, SuperCollider or CSound to build customized environments.
Last edited by Xenakios on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It just hasn't been done "yet" maybe never.. but if I could go on a website and piece together my own daw right now.. I would be on that website. right now. piecing together feature types that are available in one daw but not the other daw that I like other features for that are not in the daw with the first feature. preferably a community driven thing.

Reaper is close to this concept. I'd really like to see some customized environment concepts done with something like max.
Last edited by memyselfandus on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You could with Max/msp or Usine Hollyhock, for example
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Honestly, I don't want this to exist. I don't want 874 "me too" hosts clouding the market. There would be nothing unique among them, no creativity, and REAPER users would have to create 874 new "Reaper vs....." threads. And who wants that mess?

(I love REAPER. Just having some fun, so relax ya'll) :lol:
My host is better than your host

It already exists, its called Synthedit
Just run it in standalone instead of saving as VST
You can build pretty much any kind of sequencer/instrument/effect, it loads VST plugins
What else do you actually want ?
Duh

memyselfandus wrote:You know how you could make your own video games back in the 80's with some video game maker software?
Technically this still exists today too...
there are a ton of different game dev tools for small or independent produces, but the most popular are:
RPGmaker and Unity Engine

/unrelated to topic question

Ideally every component would be modular. So the sequencer, the interfaces to the sequence data (piano roll, staff, etc), audio i/o, midi, translation between formats (midi -> osc for example) could all be broken up into their own units.

Now the problem: people often don't want a collection of cheaply glued together UIs and methods, they want a stream-lined user experience.

Now the real problem: implementing an abstract interface for all these components requires an in-depth understanding of every possible component. Such a thing is on the scale of genesis.
In the beginning CODER created the specifications and the interface.
Now the DAW was formless and empty, silence and darkness were over the surface of the DAW, and the Spirit of CODER was hovering over the keyboard.
And CODER said, “Let there be plugins,” and there were plugins.
CODER saw that the plugins were good, and he separated the i/o and processors from the databases.
CODER called the i/o and processors “data pins and f(x),” and the databases he called “11101101.” And there was much rejoicing.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

bungle wrote:It already exists, its called Synthedit
What else do you actually want ?
Windows 64 bit and OS-X support? :hihi:

Also it would help if Synthedit didn't have a track record of being buggy as hell with for example multicore machines. (I know, I know, allegedly fixed now but...That multicore thing just casts a very dark shadow of suspicion on how competent the Synthedit developer is.)

Ill mention Usine Hollyhock again.

Modular, customisable, scriptable, available SDK.

And this would probably be the easiest option of those available.

Lives API along with max4live allows extensive customisation.

Maybe you're looking for the n00bs option with a built in wizard so you don't need to learn any new skills
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I wonder WHAT is it exactly that "memyselfandus" actually wants from his DAW? He has been posting forum topics about all possible DAWs and their features for several years and just seems plain undecided on what to use. Sometimes I get the impression he has just really been using ProTools all this time and then posting around on forums trying to invent some topic that causes controversy to entertain himself... :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”