Massive - is it always cold and digital?

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Everyone is saying Massive is only good for hars and aggressive leads, basses.

I don't say it was easy, but i finally managed to get some serious almost
analog warmth and softness out of it.

How are you using the old beast?
This is my take on it:

Sure it would be even more funny if i had a noname soundfile and ask you: what synth was that? :D

Cheers, :)
Joseph

Yet another absolutely brilliant sound design... One of the very best soundset I've ever heard for Massive (yeah, coz I couldn't care less for those gazillions EDM stuff really).
Jo, you're the man!!

Those are some nice sounds indeed. Makes me want to give Massive another chance :)
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

i'd never have guessed it was Massive, nice job!

Thanks Joseph.
Yes sometimes i find Massive very difficult to fit into the mix.
Well done ;)

Well, in my opinion, besides the beautiful analog-sounding lead, it is still sounds mostly digital, but in a good way. I would say Waldorf synths are renowned for this type of shining sounds, good to know that Massive is capable of creating a similar sound palette. Good job.
Peace and tolerance

It sounds very digital to me too. Some nice sounds but I wouldn't describe much of the examples as warm.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

It can do warm, a couple of Leap into the Void banks (Flow and Beauty from a synthesiser) feature many warm pads. These look interesting, will there be an intro price?

hollo wrote:Everyone is saying Massive is only good for hars and aggressive leads, basses.

I don't say it was easy, but i finally managed to get some serious almost
analog warmth and softness out of it.

How are you using the old beast?
This is my take on it:

Sure it would be even more funny if i had a noname soundfile and ask you: what synth was that? :D

Cheers, :)
Joseph
Sounds great. I reckon you should make a soundset and then advertise it in the Instruments section, rather than in the actual forum where you're supposed to advertise. Maybe you could even post a bit stealthily so it doesn't actually look like an ad? Just a suggestion.

BTW I like it when Massive sounds cold and digital and harsh, that's why I bought it.

Recurrent question that has been in numerous Massive related threads already. As you seem to have hijacked the instrument forum to make the promo of your soundsets, disguised in an innocent question :wink: ( I wont throw you a stone for that, given the weakness of the soundware forum where half of the threads should be in the sampler forum ) :

Digital isnt equivalent to cold. You can be desperately digital and sound somewhat warm, or sweet etc etc. After all Massive shares with a billion other synths the paradigm of substracive synthesis : It has -admitedly rather digital- filters, and modulators for them. And also some digital versions of traditional *analog oscillators*.
And finally, a synth is only what one makes of it.

Anyway here's my take on Massive ( Some other audio demos on the site ) Digital, but cold, well, I dont think so :shrug: :

Waves Grooves step 3Waves Grooves step 2
Wave Grooves -210 presets for Massive-
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

It sounds very pleasant, whether it is digital or analog, who cares. I am a bit fed up with that omnipresent "analog = warm = good" stereotype...

fluffy_little_something wrote:It sounds very pleasant, whether it is digital or analog, who cares. I am a bit fed up with that omnipresent "analog = warm = good" stereotype...
Well, the OP did make a case of differentiating between cold and warm by using the analog thing somewhat and, to be fair, it's a comparison that usually holds up - that's why it still pervades in the main. Of course, yes - no one really cares probably but the OP did invite responses by declaring that he got "some serious almost analog warmth and softness out of it." Cue folks agreeing or disagreeing...
Last edited by do_androids_dream on Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbl post

Frankly, I still don't know what that "warm" character even sounds like that is said to be so typical of analog. In another thread someone posted Diva sounds and I found some of them cold, frankly.
Even the Jupiter 8 had something polished about its sound, which some people consider cold and digital to a certain extent.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Frankly, I still don't know what that "warm" character even sounds like that is said to be so typical of analog. In another thread someone posted Diva sounds and I found some of them cold, frankly.
Even the Jupiter 8 had something polished about its sound, which some people consider cold and digital to a certain extent.
Some sounds in the original demo is not "digital" in terms of "bad sound" (I myself think that this demo shows an outstanding skill of sound design of its author and also the great possibilities of Massive), but "digital" in terms of "distinctive sound of wavetable sythesizers". That's it.
Peace and tolerance

Return to “Soundware”