Here is a test to see how DUNE 2 and Zebra 2 stand up to each other
using a patch I created for both called SerialKillerLD_-_01 which is so
close to each other on both synths, first person to pick out DUNE from
Zebra will get my praise for their skilled ears. I made this patch for DUNE
and then made for Zebra2 when I bought this on tuesday when this preset
was one of the first sounds I created for DUNE2 last year in June 2014 and
now I made this patch again using my ears and looking at what was happening
in the DUNE 2 patch...one of the things I like to do since 2009 is make presets
and try to recreate them in different synths.

Note: I included a Speech synth sample indicating which is which with one
or two being indicated what synth is what.

Finished 27th February 2015: if you said 1 is DUNE 2 you were right, the purpose
of this test was to see how similar to Supersaw/Hypersaw/DetunedSaw sounds
were on each synth using a preset I created last year on DUNE 2.

http://www.audiobombs.com/items/943/zeb ... lerld_-_01

Here are the presets for DUNE 2 and Zebra2 to show in each how different
the programming was in each patch even though they sound alike but it's
zebra that is louder and it's release time is longer as mentioned.
Last edited by syntheticillusion on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No. 2 is DUNE 2 (just guessing)
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No 1 is dune!

Dune is 1 (listening on my iPhone speaker but I am still very confident. Hehehe)
Play it by ear

1 Dune, 2 Zebra.

2 is louder. Don't know if it's actually bettter which is highly subjective anyway, but might be percieved as better because of that.

I also don't get the purpose of a blind test here, because these are not emulations of eachother nor are they meant to sound the same :shrug:
Last edited by Nielzie on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

The difference is in the reverb. Since I only own Zebra 2 and not Dune 2, I can't tell you which is which but I can tell you which one I like better.

Number 1 is a little cleaner on the verb. It's not as "over the top and washed out." Now, I don't know if this is a function of the verb or how you used it. If you put too much verb on number 2, that will distort the sound more.

It probably would have been a more fair test had you not used verb on either because it is clear that they are not the same level.

Now if what I'm mistaking for verb is actually envelope release (it is possible) then the release on number 2 is longer and it's muddying the sound.

Either way, I prefer 1 over 2 but that doesn't necessarily mean that 1 is the better sound "raw". It just means the patch itself was done better.

Now, having said all that, since I know Zebra 2 is an amazingly clean synth I'm going to go with 1 is Zebra 2 and 2 is Dune 2. If I am wrong, then the problem is with the synth patch construction and not with the synth itself.

I guess that 1 is Dune 2 and 2 is Zebra. There is slight differences in the top end in example 1 i guess, and in example 2, there seems to be a bit more pitch modulation on synth 2. Anyway, the differences are so subtle that it's almost impossible to say. Good job in getting the sounds to match so close. I guess there was some EQ'ing involved too?

Sound to me like #2 has either a higher sustain level (on the amp envelope) or longer decay time. The notes overlap and mask each other much more than on #1. Otherwise, they sound close enough that I'd say either would work equally well in the same context.

Number 1 is DUNE2.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

I don't like those sounds, they are very messy, noisy, and a bit irritating. Synth1 would suffice for that :hihi:

Test is not good IMO...
2nd example is significantly wider, wetter and louder...

+Zebra can do good "superwaves"... you just have to know how to program them.

Here's a small test I did a while ago:

There will be 4 different ones in this example: https://app.box.com/s/typumsfz7cs4ecq4hjeq

1. Standard Zebra eleventh mode (16 cent detuning, -8 cent kb tracking compensation within mod matrix)
2. "True Stereo" Zebra supersaw (same as above just made from 2 oscs hard L hard R, wave: phase-locked "saw" resembling saw harmonic series, this wave gives smoother results than a standard saw)
3. Harmor simple saw (random harmonic phase for each harmonic in the series)
4. Harmor (same as above only with unison (9 voice "random" spread, full stereo, pull phase randomness)

remarks:

1. sounds OK but it sure can do better
2. improved Zebra supersaw: more detail and smoothness (here's the patch, solo lane 3: https://app.box.com/s/t7vxbuozjh2ru01b2dcx )
3. Character of "random phase partials" check especially the lower note(s), this one usually gives best results especially with lower notes and/or poliphony
4. Same as above but using the built in unison set to 9 voices, random, and voices phase set to max (random)

Note that the last Harmor example may not sound that great... possibly because the unison character and the additive synthesis.
It's posted only to show the important benefits of "random phase partials" with achieving very smooth results.

Unless this is some tom foolery were the guy is intentionally trying to trip you up I say dune is 2.

I'll add if he wanted to trip you up he could double layer zebra.

I'll also add that NO, this isn't a good test. It's awash in effects and any synth on the planet could be used, including freeware. It also isn't the best recording. So just go with it and have some fun.

Return to “Instruments”