Bigwig taking 150% of my CPU....

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I am just wondering if somebody have the same issue?
I just spend over 1 hour with tech support from apple to find out if my computer have an issue because the CPU is going nuts every time I am opening Bitwig. I did try to uninstall Bitwig and reinstall it a bunch of times and I am still getting the same problem.
The CPU reach over 150% and my idle sometimes drop bellow 50%. And I am using Bitwig with a session with only 10-15 tracks.
Sometimes I am using Logic with some session with 80-90 tracks and the max CPU I got was 50-60%

What Bitwig is suppose to use of CPU normally?

I am on MacBookPro 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
with 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 and a SSD 750GB
Bitwig 1.1.6 (but had the same problem with previous version too)

It’s been months this thing is happening and it’s getting me so mad because I LOVE Bitwig but I just can not work on it and I have to use Logic :(

Please let me know if somebody have any idea for a solution! :party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I have a similar machine, I can get high CPU on Bitwig, but not that high.

No answers, but a few questions:
- Does it happen after a re-boot?
- Have you run Disk Utility (repair disk & fix permissions) just to be safe?
- What Java version are you running?
- Have you tried removing plugins one by one to see if it helps?

Winstontaneous wrote:I have a similar machine, I can get high CPU on Bitwig, but not that high.

No answers, but a few questions:
- Does it happen after a re-boot?
- Have you run Disk Utility (repair disk & fix permissions) just to be safe?
- What Java version are you running?
- Have you tried removing plugins one by one to see if it helps?
Hi, It happen at all time, I tried the Disk Utility but it didn't find any error.
I am using the latest Java and I triec to remove some vst plugins but it didn't help, do you think It's coming from some VST plugins? I wonder If I should remove all the 3rd vst I have installed and reinstall them 1 by 1 until error start again?

Download https://software.intel.com/en-us/articl ... -gadget-20
Monitor it while you're experiencing the cpu problems.

I've seen Macbooks, including my own beaten up ninja machine, that were not cooling as good as when they were new.
Using Intel's power gadget revealed that they reach cpu temperatures above 95degrees celsius under heavy load and as soon as this happens, the cpu's speed stepping kicks in and lowers the frequency of the cpu dramatically to save the cpu, therefore causing immense cpu problems.

Cheers,
Dom

dom@bitwig wrote:Download https://software.intel.com/en-us/articl ... -gadget-20
Monitor it while you're experiencing the cpu problems.

I've seen Macbooks, including my own beaten up ninja machine, that were not cooling as good as when they were new.
Using Intel's power gadget revealed that they reach cpu temperatures above 95degrees celsius under heavy load and as soon as this happens, the cpu's speed stepping kicks in and lowers the frequency of the cpu dramatically to save the cpu, therefore causing immense cpu problems.

Cheers,
Dom
Hi Dom,

thanks for getting back to me.
I downloaded the app and this the result I got:
As you can see the cpu is going crazy and I am using a session in Bigwig with only 7 Audio channel with almost no vast on it and 5 instrument channel, that's it.

Do have any idea what I can try to do? is a problem with my computer (it's only 2 years old) or with Bitwig? or with some VST? I have no idea what's going on :scared:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maybe just deselect you plugin folder? create a new one and copy one vst after another in that new folder, so you see wich one may cause trouble.

cheers

Suloo wrote:maybe just deselect you plugin folder? create a new one and copy one vst after another in that new folder, so you see wich one may cause trouble.

cheers
thank you Suloo, I am going to try this to see if it help :pray:

In my experience (I had similar problems in NI Maschine) the problem is in VSTs.
Also "Bitwig Plug-in Host 64" refers to Bitwig plugin engine.
Some plug-ins (like Reaktor ensembles) can be very CPU hungry.
One of the solutions is to bounce them to audio.
| keep-disco-evil |

yea, maybe a big sample library is scanned by a 64 bit plugin?

I had this sample problem and it was caused by using my massive home directory as a sample path. After reducing the scope of it to just my sample directories it worked great.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

OK I just tried for the last 2 days what you suggested to do and I am still having this issue. I remove all the path of my Sample Library. The thing I don't understand it's even after removing ALL my VSTs from my VST folder I am still getting really high CPU numbers? :? I don't understand why, since there no VSTs? Why the Bitwig plugin Host 64 is over 102% and the Host 32 at 89% when there is no VST?

What if you change the host process to each plugin in Bitwig?

Wich OS are running?

You could also try to run some optimisation and maintenance tasks. Maybe something is configured wrong.

http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/11 ... for-audio/

Did you update your audio interface drivers lately?

Was this problem always there or since a certain version?

If nothing helps i would consider reinstalling the OS.

Before doing something drastic like reinstalling the OS, do you have any other DAWs (or any demos you could install) you could compare in a similar scenario... if they run okay it might not be your computer but a BWS issue?

I just so mad of trying to fix this issue, So I went to the apple store and they found some corrupted files and other issues, so they recommended me to do a clean reinstall of OS.
I think it's better and In the same time I am going to do a good clean up of my VST and Sample libraries.
Thank you guys for your support to try to helping me fixing this issue! :tu:

Return to “Bitwig”