Original Track: Globalization (Electronic/Vocoder) .. feedback welcome!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,

https://soundcloud.com/casrya/globaliza ... inal-track

This is my first complete original track so I would welcome feedback! I have done quite a lot of experimenting and remixes before this though.

I am not really sure what genre this is so would also appreciate suggestions about how to describe it since I am not very experienced in the different electronic genres. It has elements of a number of styles and I was going for a thematic/film soundtrack feel while still aiming for something that could play on the radio and maybe even the dancefloor.

Here is a description of the main parts, the only samples were the FX at the start and finish. Tried to avoid unedited presets for the most part for originality but there are a couple of tyrell presets used for little effects that could be pretty recognisable.

- Main vocals are my own voice vocoded with the old Vocoder CM (which is actually pretty good, and after much experimenting I chose it over TAL Vocoder and MVocoder (trial)).
- The chorus vocals are UTAU (free Vocaloid style voice synth)
- Kick is saltline Korzenie, cymbals are Sennheiser Drummica with some dblue glitch in places, Clap is the 909 from Waldorf Attack LE.
- Industrial sounding percussion is the drummica snare mangled with Saturn and bifilter as well as gated reverb.
- Guitar is Rob Papen CM through Grind Machine CM and Guitar Rig Player, swept with BiFilter.
- Aggressive guitar at the end is z3ta+ into Grind Machine CM and Guitar Rig Player.
- Chorus synth and bass line are z3ta 2+
- The main grooves and melody were done with Kirnu Cream CM.
- The morse code at the start is generated so it does actually spell something 8)
- Key is E harmonic minor.
- Main tracks were compressed (and limited where useful) individually so didn’t squash the master that much (a few db) and the dynamic range is about 6-7db crest factor which hopefully is reasonably loud without being ridiculous :hihi:

I was pretty pleased with the result so hope someone else enjoys it and now I have to try to work out how to get some plays after all the time I spent on it!

P.S A 44.1/24 flac is available as a download if anyone wants to have a close listen.

Cheers,

Nice sound and the whole piece comes across as well-mixed on my my bad PC speakers and my not-so-bad KRK headphones. I can understand most of the vocoded words, I think.

Genre? The heavy 4-on-the-floor kick with the overlaid glide lead synth makes me think of house, but most house doesn't have that robotic feel. How about inventing the robo-house genre? :)

I dug the vocoder :tu:

Hey guys, thanks for having a listen, much appreciated! Robo-house, I like that :clap:

I was originally thinking progressive house since that is what some people call Avicii - Wake Me Up with its country/bluegrass verse and dance/house chorus and I figured that if you don’t know what something is, it is probably progressive right? But then I figured someone will come and tell me it isn’t and I won’t have the genre knowledge to mount a plausible defence :hihi:

Glad the mix sounds ok. I tried it on Sennheiser HD265 and Sony NDR-200D phones, some AktiMate mini’s and the final mix done on a decent quality full size hi-fi system. Especially the kick sounded different everywhere in the room as to be expected in a typical living area so I just tried to average it out across the different systems and also use a spectrum analyser as a guide.

Return to “Music Cafe”