New public beta available

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys - build 6.0.21 is available in the downloads area - its in the 'public beta' folder

Here's the change list:

- Performance improvements for Edits with lots of MIDI data
- Fixed a rare crash using external controllers assigned to parameter values
- Fixed a crash when deleting tracks using other tracks as inputs
- Fixed an issue where recordings would disappear if tabs are changed
- Fix for track inputs not updating correctly when moved
- Fix for track input devices not being saved correctly
- Fix for track input devices not being named correctly

- Fix for tempos of Edit clip renders
- Fix for copying and pasting folder tracks

We are tracking down the gremlins pretty fast - turns out there are some issues with compiling the app with latest version of Visual Studio which is required for various reasons - seems to be the cause of most of the plugin and ASIO related issues.

Melodyne folk are creating an update with a fix and we are chasing down some related nasties too

Will get it nailed ASAP
Tracktion Software Corporation

Good to see the T6 bugs being squashed at a rapid rate!

I don't suppose you use Visual Studio to build the Linux and OSX builds too? Can VS do that?

It'd be nice if there was sticky on this forum that gets updated with every new (beta) release. It seems you don't report every new release to KVR and its easier just to look at this forum rather than monitor the downloads pages.

Thanks TSC!

TSC wrote:- Fixed an issue where recordings would disappear if tabs are changed
This is presumably the cause of the problems I was having with long recordings (though I now think minimising T6 might have been the cause of it for me, rather than changing tabs). Done several tests of over ten minutes, including one of over an hour, and so far this seems to be okay.

Im still getting the issue where removing the input on a track which has started recording disappears the clip at after I hit stop, but up till that point behaves as though it is actually recording to a clip.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
TSC wrote: Im still getting the issue where removing the input on a track which has started recording disappears the clip at after I hit stop, but up till that point behaves as though it is actually recording to a clip.
Do you want it to keep recording in that situation or do you want the recording to stop? I guess it's weird that it acts like it still going, but I can't see why anyone would want to remove the input from a track that's recording.

Kang wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
TSC wrote: Im still getting the issue where removing the input on a track which has started recording disappears the clip at after I hit stop, but up till that point behaves as though it is actually recording to a clip.
Do you want it to keep recording in that situation or do you want the recording to stop? I guess it's weird that it acts like it still going, but I can't see why anyone would want to remove the input from a track that's recording.
Well, the first time it happened it was accidental, and yes, I wanted to keep the recording from the inputs that had originally been set up.
But even if you 'put the inputs back' as it were, its too late, and the recording itself eventually gets deleted (although you dont realise that until you stop Tracktion from recording, which is misleading). In the meantime, though, up until you stop recording, that audio is still being captured, so surely it makes sense to keep (some of) it?

Failing that, I think it'd be better to either prevent you from changing the inputs on a track you're recording to, or stopping the recording process at that point and keeping the recorded clip up to where the inputs are removed.

As it is, Tracktion is allowing slightly nonsensical behaviour (by not preventing you from deleting the inputs), misleading you when you do that (by making it appear as though recording has continued) then performing the worst possible outcome on your audio (deleting what you recorded). There are far better ways for Tracktion to deal with this(*).

((*)And to jabber on again about something Ive already raised elsewhere, I think the Abort buttons should be handled better, too. If they're not going to be moved away from the stop button, where I believe them to be 'dangerous', they should at least have an 'are you sure?' dialog. In fact, anything that deletes files off the drive should do.)

whyterabbyt wrote:....And to jabber on again about something Ive already raised elsewhere, I think the Abort buttons should be handled better, too. If they're not going to be moved away from the stop button, where I believe them to be 'dangerous', they should at least have an 'are you sure?' dialog. In fact, anything that deletes files off the drive should do.)
Not to say that you don't have many valid points here, but Tracktion does offer Safe-Record mode (Options > Safe-Record mode). It is advisable to use the for long recordings. It makes it harder to drop out of record accidentally by hitting clicking wrong button.

gigazaga wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:....And to jabber on again about something Ive already raised elsewhere, I think the Abort buttons should be handled better, too. If they're not going to be moved away from the stop button, where I believe them to be 'dangerous', they should at least have an 'are you sure?' dialog. In fact, anything that deletes files off the drive should do.)
Not to say that you don't have many valid points here, but Tracktion does offer Safe-Record mode (Options > Safe-Record mode). It is advisable to use the for long recordings. It makes it harder to drop out of record accidentally by hitting clicking wrong button.
Ah, I'd overlooked that. Seems to prevent you doing anything while recording. Definitely useful for me right now, although maybe be a bit too limiting in other specific circumstance. Cheers!

Unfortunately, latest beta version 6.0.21 still crashes as soon as I try to select my ASIO interface (BOSS GT-001)... Needs a hard reboot.

mpoirier wrote:Unfortunately, latest beta version 6.0.21 still crashes as soon as I try to select my ASIO interface (BOSS GT-001)... Needs a hard reboot.
I wonder if this is a Roland issue. I tried a Roland Tri-Capture interface and updated the drivers to the latest. I get and error "Unable to create audio i/o buffers" when I set it to ASIO in 6.0.21. It does work normally when set to Windows Audio.

Just thought I'd chip-in here and say hello..

Dave and I spent most of 2014 rewriting and modernising a huge chunk of the codebase in our move from T5 to T6 - the goal of this was to make things more reliable in the long run, and to make it less painful for us to add new features in the future. We're really satisfied with the way the code is looking now, things are much cleaner internally!

Obviously in the course of really big changes, a few gremlins will inevitably creep in, so thanks for your patience with the beta version! Dave has been doing a ridiculously heroic job of mole-bashing bugs as they get reported, most of which we couldn't possibly have anticipated, because there are far too many combinations of hardware/plugins/OS/project out there for us to test every way it could be used.

It seems like the main remaining issue is that some old ASIO drivers and plugins are turning out to be incompatible with our new build under Windows 8. We think this is because we updated our development environment from Visual Studio 2010 to Visual Studio 2013, and it's doing something that older 3rd-party binaries don't like. We're trying to figure out a workaround, and will post it when we can!

But overall, thanks for the great reception that T6 has got!

mpoirier wrote:Unfortunately, latest beta version 6.0.21 still crashes as soon as I try to select my ASIO interface (BOSS GT-001)... Needs a hard reboot.
I just pulled out all the audio interfaces I have lying around and tested each. PreSonus iOne, PreSonus iTwo, Tascam US-366, Roland Tri-Capture. I made sure drivers and firmware were 100% up-to-date.

Only the Roland Tri-Capture refuses to work in ASIO mode. The others seemed solid.

whyterabbyt wrote:
gigazaga wrote:
Ah, I'd overlooked that. Seems to prevent you doing anything while recording. Definitely useful for me right now, although maybe be a bit too limiting in other specific circumstance. Cheers!
It would still be a good idea generally for "aborted" audio files to get put in the recycle bin though, not made irretrievable.

(or even better, maybe have it go in a Tracktion managed sample pool, and at the end of the session you get asked if you want recorded audio to be kept or deleted?)

Looks like the ASIO problem is limited to Roland/Boss (same company) devices - we are looking into it further
Tracktion Software Corporation

6.0.21, some pluginS GUI is still sluggish on osx.
Any plan to improve ?
The same plugins within Logic X behave snappier.

gigazaga wrote:
I just pulled out all the audio interfaces I have lying around and tested each. PreSonus iOne, PreSonus iTwo, Tascam US-366, Roland Tri-Capture. I made sure drivers and firmware were 100% up-to-date.

Only the Roland Tri-Capture refuses to work in ASIO mode. The others seemed solid.

Please note that I have been and still using the GT-001 with T5 for quite while without a problem...

Return to “Tracktion”