Pro-C Deep Field Preset by bM

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It sure is pretty but everytime I look at this interface I get a headache. :-?

Can someone please explain in detail how this (mid-side) preset works?

What is the thinking behind the different settings for mid and side in this preset?

Thanks ...
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Do you want an explanation of Mid-Side processing in general - or specifically the mechanics of what this preset is trying to achieve?
Sound Engineer / Musician / Producer......but I'm always learning.

I understand the basics of mid side.

It's just this particular preset I'm interested in.

What is being done to the mid and the side in this example, in order to create ''deep field''?

Thanks... :)

In L/R mode if you unlink L/R you will tend to keep a "wide" stereo image. I imagine "deep" is the preset designer's (bM) notion of what happens when you unlink M/S. That's essentially all that is happening in the advanced section. The mid and side channels are about 30% linked, or 70% unlinked, however you want to look at it. If you were to turn the pan knob on the left fully to the left and the pan knob on the right fully to the right then M/S would be completely unlinked. Turn them both straight up to 12 o'clock and they would be perfectly linked.

Edit: In case it isn't clear what linking means, when either L/R or M/S are linked then signal from either will cause both to be compressed. Unlink them entirely and only their own signal will cause them to compress. Then you have a range between these two extremes to control how much either effects the other. Though I can't think of a purpose for it Pro-C also lets you reverse the linking.

This preset is in the drum section so here's a drum example. Unlinking mid side will make it so that when the kick in the center causes the middle to compress the cymbal panned hard right will not. If you link mid side then the kick will cause the cymbal on the right to compress.

Edit: Maybe not the best example for this particular preset since it has a high pass on the side chain at 75 Hz, but you get the idea.

Thanks Lads.

I've set up a chain which is really helping me to understand the mid-side presets in Pro-C a lot better.

(a) Drum Loop to (b) Pro-C to (c) bx_control.

This way, I can select a Preset and then easily decide whether I want to listen to the MID or SIDE after Pro-C does its thing.

It seems to be an excellent learning aid.

Thanks again for your help. :tu:

Return to “Sound Design”