Synclavier for sale in Australia

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

here's the link for you'se yobbos what might be interested. :wink:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Synclavier-D ... 35e708171b
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

I know of some people in the 80's that started work to clone one of those - if this is the piece I think it is.

They xrayed all circuit boards to see all connections without unsoldering.
They were silly expensive as I recall - and could not sacrifice the unit.

Were they superseded by Akai MPC1000 or something? :D

They were superceded by computer technology. IIRC, the Synclavier was the pre-cursor to the DAW. Everything was built right in, including access to in the box, ready to go instruments of all types.

I never personally saw one, but a lot of big names had 'em. I remember reading somewhere that Zappa used to compose on one.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

IIRC, Zappa's Jazz from Hell was done on a Synclavier.

I think Eddie Jobson was a big fan of these and made some great tracks with them.

UVIs "The Beast" is their take on the Synclavier. Cheaper and much easier on the spine.

Sting had one too. I saw a video of him composing a tune for his new band after the Police - We work the black seam I think it was. It could print scores of parts, display notation on multiple staves, sequence and play sample based instruments. They were 200k in the money of 30 years ago.

All those $$$ monsters that used to show up and strut their stuff at the big music shows like NAMM and the Messe pretty much keeled over and died overnight in the face of commodified tech - samplers and computer based sequencing. (Literally in the case of the ex Commodore guys who founded Ensoniq :hihi: )

Thriller.

I had one. Swapped it for a cement mixer.

Kriminal wrote:I had one. Swapped it for a cement mixer.
Was this for a cover of Ready mix Revenge?

If the seller gave me that Synclavier for free with the only condition that I use it and not sell it for Vegas gambling money, I would decline the offer.
A Synclavier would have been really nice to own thirty years ago, but my Mac with Logic Pro and various other plugins would just destroy it.
I'd also save a bundle on electricity if I didn't have to run that 3,000 watt rack.

Neat. Probably would love to play with it ... until the point where its various inconveniences piss me off :-D
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Yeah, basically the DAW's we have now are what things like the Synclavier and Fairlight were trying to be three decades ago (within the limitations and obscene expense of the technology of the time). I was just saying to my brother the other day that I wish it had been possible to get a cheap PC and a few hundred dollars worth of software and do digital multi-track recording when I was starting out. Back then, things like this were utterly beyond my reach and seemed almost mythical. Now, I wouldn't want them if they were free...they'd be too much of a PITA compared to a modern computer setup.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

I spent some time with a Synclavier in the late 80s. It was impressive tech for its time, but I wouldn't want to go back to those days now.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

She Changed Her Mind wrote:Thriller.
I thought it was "beat it"

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”