Can you run apps you buy on more than one ipad?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can you run apps you buy on more than one ipad? or do you have to buy a new app for each one? how does all of that work?

Yes, as long as all your iOS devices (iPads, iPhones, iPod Touch) are on the same account, you can buy the app once and use it on all of them. My family has 5 iPads and two iPhones, so I buy an app and it's instantly available for any/all of them.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my experience has been that sharing one account also means everything in your icloud backup is also shared. All the photos, safari bookmarks, everything you do on one device shows up on all the others.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Family account sharing now... How ever that works.

deastman wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but my experience has been that sharing one account also means everything in your icloud backup is also shared. All the photos, safari bookmarks, everything you do on one device shows up on all the others.
but you can switch off icloud syncing...

Right. I'm just saying it's all or nothing, right? Like I can't back up all my family photos from all our devices without having my iPad littered with my kids random photos?

This is relevant because it makes me want to set up separate accounts for each person. But then there goes the possibility of app sharing.

Unless I'm missing something.

arkmabat wrote:Family account sharing now... How ever that works.
I totally forgot about that new feature. :dog:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201085
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

No, no,no. You can share an iTunes account but keep separate iCloud accounts through your personal Apple ID. Check settings. iTunes allows you to set a separate ID than the rest of the apps use. You should set up your devices with everyone's own iCloud (since after all, they come with a free account) Then change just the iTunes ID so it's the same for everyone for purchases.

I believe you can do this for up to 10 devices.

audientronic wrote:No, no,no. You can share an iTunes account but keep separate iCloud accounts through your personal Apple ID. Check settings. iTunes allows you to set a separate ID than the rest of the apps use. You should set up your devices with everyone's own iCloud (since after all, they come with a free account) Then change just the iTunes ID so it's the same for everyone for purchases.

I only partially followed what you wrote here. Are you saying to have multiple icloud accounts tied to a single Apple ID? Or do we need to create multiple Apple IDs but you can use a common one for apps and individual ones for icloud? I'm confused...

awesome info. I had no clue about any of it

deastman wrote:
audientronic wrote:No, no,no. You can share an iTunes account but keep separate iCloud accounts through your personal Apple ID. Check settings. iTunes allows you to set a separate ID than the rest of the apps use. You should set up your devices with everyone's own iCloud (since after all, they come with a free account) Then change just the iTunes ID so it's the same for everyone for purchases.

I only partially followed what you wrote here. Are you saying to have multiple icloud accounts tied to a single Apple ID? Or do we need to create multiple Apple IDs but you can use a common one for apps and individual ones for icloud? I'm confused...
B.

I'm saying the thing about sharing your itunes account with your family is a non issue. You will not have your kid's photos on your phone. Each person who owns an ios device gets their own icloud account free with it. And each device also allows you to set an apple id for purchases that is separate from the apple id used by the other apps on the device. So everyone can share the same purchases by using the same apple id, but their icloud activities will remain separate by using their own separate icloud accounts for everything else.

Important thing is to first set up the devices separately for each person, then change the purchase ID. Do not set them all up as belonging to you.

audientronic wrote:
I'm saying the thing about sharing your itunes account with your family is a non issue. You will not have your kid's photos on your phone. Each person who owns an ios device gets their own icloud account free with it. And each device also allows you to set an apple id for purchases that is separate from the apple id used by the other apps on the device. So everyone can share the same purchases by using the same apple id, but their icloud activities will remain separate by using their own separate icloud accounts for everything else.

Important thing is to first set up the devices separately for each person, then change the purchase ID. Do not set them all up as belonging to you.
I guess that's where I went wrong, seeing them up as belonging to me. I guess at this point I just need to set up new icloud accounts for each device and I'll be good to go. Thank you!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”