Hours And Minutes - New Tune - Feedback Appreciated.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I put together a two minute piece on Saturday night.
Spent a couple of hours after work tonight seeing what I could do with it.
Came up with this.
Still work in progress but I'd really appreciate comments / feedback.
Thanks.
https://soundcloud.com/landslide-victor ... nd-minutes

IMHO, it's not bad, but I think this needs more work.

Here's my 2 cents:

1) In general, this songs seems to lack a clear idea. It sounds a bit like you try to bring a lot of interesting arpeggiator sounds in one song without having a clear structure and buildup.

2) The "intro" (~ first 25 seconds) is too long for my taste.

3) You have an interesting melodic arpeggiator movement at 0:24. Unfortunately, you repeat it throughout your track which makes it a bit boring. More melodic diversity would make your song more interesting.

4) I like the string motif in the background at 1:40. Again, try to extend this with more variety.

5) I am not a fan of the arp coming in at 2:06. Yes, it brings some much needed change, but I don't feel it fits that well with the rest of the track.

6) If it is your goal to build this track around the different arp sounds you could also think about changing the sounds and creating some variation through more modulated effects, filter sweeps & volume automation (i.e. move one arp to the foreground and then back again, so it is more interesting to the listener).
I think you already use this on some of the string sounds, but there might be more areas where doing this would be worth considering.

well, the composition is good but many of the sounds sound thin and weak, very ITB sounding. did you use
an all-in-one sequencer like komplete to make this?

here is a short demo i made entirely "In The Box" on my HP Elitebook 8730w notebook:
the arps are albino3, notice how thick they sound? bass is korg m1 KLC, soft pad is an EnergyXT2
sampler instrument multisampled from my hardware MKS-50.
filter sweeps is the old Steinberg Model E!

https://soundcloud.com/layzerkvr/9a-1
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Thanks, Gustar and layzer for your comments and excellent feedback.

Gustar, you have given me plenty to think about and work on. I agree with what you've said.
Thanks.

layzer, I used Reaper with various vst instruments. I used two different sequencers, two instances of each. Each of the 4 arp tracks with a different synth. I really need to learn how to fatten up the sound. I need to learn how to add effects properly,too. Early days in my learning curve. Thanks for your comments.

Return to “Music Cafe”