Change of Sales Policy?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dear Urs + Co

I note now that all your synths are now in the login only section of JRRshop with a 10% discount.

I've been a customer of yours since 2004 and own your entire catalogue.

A significant part of the respect and esteem that you enjoy here on KVR is, IMHO, a hitherto very clear sales policy: discounts for early adopters, no further sales, no special cases. Nobody ever feels irritated that they should have waited to purchase one of your products because it might be cheaper at some future date. Whilst not an important consideration for you, purchasers who are inclined to part company with a product at a later date have always been reassured of a high secondhand value.

I imagine that you have made these changes due to complaints by US customers about EU VAT (though these same customers are benefitting from a very favourable exchange rate at the moment).
[EDIT: rod_zero correctly points out below that this is very unlikely to be the motivation.]

I am sure that many prospective purchasers will be overjoyed that you have made this move. Uncle E offers a fantastic service and, rightly or wrongly, I and many other EU customers purchase software there. Indeed, I have just filled the one missing space in my U-He catalogue, Hive, from JRR yesterday.

To be clear then, I am not writing from any moral highground (before the flaming starts)!

Your decisions are your own with regard to your sales policy and you aren't answerable to me or anbody else, so all I am doing is registering my surprise that this change of policy has taken place without any public posting from you or the team about it.

I'm just saying that it is kind of unlike you not to communicate these things (even if you are en route to MusikMesse!).

All the best

Nik
Last edited by lnikj on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are you referring to the 10% discount with a JRR coupon?
dedication to flying

Its the same as the intro price u-he is selling it for, I would think it would change once u-he changes theirs. So besides jrrshops own discounts, there is no extra discount

Not from where I'm standing.

Zebra $178.99
Diva $160.99
ACE $75.99
Bazille $115.99

No VAT (obviously!)

Well the usual group/forum codes dont work on diva at least, so its basically the same prices with jrrshops discount already applied since you cant use them at checkout on top of those prices

I always thought the price on u.he page didn't include VAT.
dedication to flying

@ezelkow1 - Sorry, not sure what you are getting at. Doesn't change my point does it? Until this deal with Bitwig came along the only place you could buy a U-He synth was from U-He, at U-He's prices. If you are in the EU, you can now buy them from JRRshop minus 19% VAT (rightly or wrongly), and for everybody minus a further 10%.

@rod_zero - Yes, fair point (FP edited to acknowledge this), I think ACE was the same price for everybody, but not the others. So I guess that is not the reason for the change in policy. I guess the change in policy may well result in a loss of revenue for U-He so I am not sure what is driving it

This was a mistake on our part. Our prices are the same as u-he's now. You can still benefit from not having to pay VAT when buying from us.

u-he may be looking at expanding into even more stores in the future. If this happens, we may lower our prices at that point to stay competitive. As things are now, though, we're here to help u-he and the last thing I want to do is cause any problems for them. I'm a u-he fan first and foremost. :)

Thanks for the clarification Eric!

Uncle E wrote:This was a mistake on our part. Our prices are the same as u-he's now. You can still benefit from not having to pay VAT when buying from us.

u-he may be looking at expanding into even more stores in the future. If this happens, we may lower our prices at that point to stay competitive. As things are now, though, we're here to help u-he and the last thing I want to do is cause any problems for them. I'm a u-he fan first and foremost. :)
Wow, thanks for OP for this thread i did not know you can buy u-he stuff without VAT.

Uncle E wrote:
u-he may be looking at expanding into even more stores in the future. If this happens, we may lower our prices at that point to stay competitive.

is it vision or concealed background knowlwdge?

if u-he becomes sale shop rummagejunk, will this satify the customers?

best netprice chace and happy hunting then!

Ole
there is a gamsfacex.urgs

We're talking to resellers. They want our stuff because people ask about it in their shops. They also see we're doing well and they want a slice of the pie. Hence we started to work with JRR and a few others to see how it works out.

After talking to many friends (think Fabfilter) who added retail to their own online shop, we expect 10%-20% more revenue. It won't be earthshattering if Guitar Center or Thomann take our stuff on, but it'll help us to grow horizontally.

We furthermore think we need to do this move because there are a couple of related things going on behind the scenes. We're going to collaborate with some companies on various projects - exiting stuff -, and a retail strategy might be an integral part of that. We'll let you guys in on it once the NDAs don't bind us from talking about it.

As for "sales" - we don't do any. We cannot dictate prices to retailers though. They can probably drop a few percent below our price on the website, espcially for VAT-free reimports. The margin is low enough though to keep it within a bearable range IMHO.

We'll see how it goes :)

Just don't do a CA and I at least will remain happy :-)
rsp
sound sculptist

Thanks for replying Urs. My original post was a bit of an overreaction to what turned out to be a mistake by JRRshop. I should probably have emailed you directly. Feel free to delete the thread.

Return to “u-he”