Online Exchange - chat

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can we discuss a possible rule for naming of online presets (directories, type, etc.). :)

At the moment it is sort of a mess...:

Aaaaaaaaah.... Duplicating folders... what a mess :D. Needs to be fixed ;).

But about the rest of it, I'm afraid it won't work :). People are messy animals :D. I don't think there's even a remote chance that we'd make people follow some rules. One of the reasons for the new preset exchange - now you basically have everything in ONLINE EXCHANGE directory and it's not moderated - except cases when some starts submitting idiotic/cloned presets, in which case I can simply ban him.

About the old online preset exchange system - I was originally naive, I thought people will follow some structure...my friend told me it was an idiotic idea and it won't work...well, he was right :D. There were dozens of presets submitted automatically every time, and about 1% of it was usable, none of them were in some "structure". So right now, instead of submitting everything, you do that manually and if you submit crap, you may get banned for life. Hopefully that's enough to make people try to make the structure "nice", but eventually there will be lot of directories and stuff, that's inevitable.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Well, at least some information how the presets are transmitted/sorted would help. Me for example didn't know that the directory-name will be transmitted, too. Ok, now I know... lesson learned.

But let me ask (with regard to the image in the first post): If I'd store a preset in a dir called "Pad" would it show up in the dir "Pad" that another user created?

I have to say that so far I haven't tried Preset exchange in version 9. I wouldn't call myself a good preset designer, so it's very intimidating to read that you get banned if you submit a preset that doesn't get considered as "useful". And since I own the Total bundle and MPowersynth, which makes 76 plugins, I'll have to make 76 presets to only once get presets for each plugin. And there are quite a lot of them that I don't master yet...

I really like Cableguys' approach. There you simply click on Sync preset library and it's done. Or version 8 of Melda, which was also nice.

Am I right by saying this or did I misunderstand the whole thing ?

Wanterkeelt wrote:I'll have to make 76 presets to only once get presets for each plugin. [...] I really like Cableguys' approach. There you simply click on Sync preset library and it's done.
Valid point, imho.

elassi: Currently there's the bug with duplicating directories, but it shall be fixed and then all presets submitted in Pad directory shall be added to a single Pad directory. That's ideal if the users will follow the existing structure.

Wanterkeelt: That's exactly how it was and it just doesn't work. Infinite administration and almost no presets at all...
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Why not get rid of the folders entirely and put the presets under user names. E.g. If I submit presets it should come under "satyatunes" and elassi's presets under his user name. Allow users to follow a simple naming convention for naming presets. The simplest would be 3 letters for categories and 2 letters at the end for username. Examples:

PAD Blue Horizon sT
ARP Trance Basic sT
BAS Wobbler sT

Who is going to decide the quality of the presets? It's subjective. You may like it whereas I may not. It won't be fair to ban anyone. Secondly, people make mistake. A simple wrong click may submit something that may not follow your structure but Is it fair to ban the person?
The whole objective should be to create a community of sharing between users not create a complicated system with lot of rules and expect every one to follow.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

I'm okay with sorting presets following existing dir names (=the Pad example of Vojtech).

Still one can use the naming Satya suggests. I think this makes sense too and is somewhat common (="PAD Blue Horizon sT" etc.). Eventually anyone who contributes wants his presets to be found (I suppose) and a little bit of self-discipline does help a lot to achieve this.

For the banning aspects, well, my stomach hurts here too. But IF Vojtech keeps this forced rule than he can also establish a rule to follow naming conventions. Read: No proper naming, no preset approval.

OTH I doubt Vojtech will try something new for the third time. :D

satYa: No no, it needs to follow the default folder hierarchy. "PAD xx" is really an ancient convention, and it's not used anywhere in the synth, so it would become a huge mess. You simply add the preset to Pads folder and the system does everything for you, how easier it can be? ;) There shall be a video about how to use it...

Who is going to be a judge of quality? Me of course! :D But I have no intention of banning people as long as they contribute with something useful. But you will get banned if:
- You submit a commercial preset, which is obviously illegal (and yes, we have a winner, there's already one person banned...)
- You submit some total junk - like you take an existing preset, move one harmonic and submit it as a new preset. Or submit something, that doesn't even generate sound. Just something obvious that says "yeah, I just want to download some presets, I'm going to contribute, f*** you all" :D

elassi: As I said, don't worry here! The banning rule is there just because of the "bad guys". Sadly my experience says "if there can be people, that just won't do anything and want everything for free, then there will be some eventually...". And as I said, I already banned one person, who submitted a 3rd party commercial preset... I was always hoping for "goodness of people" and they always disappointed me... :(
Vojtech

whoa.. one ban already? Honor system doesn't stand a chance these days. Like you I was also expecting that people will be honest and will not abuse the system. I was wrong. I have no issues with folder system as long as it doesn't create a mess. It will be very confusing and time taking if it creates mess. I guess you are already on top of it.

Now that it's established that a banning is inevitable. I have some questions:
1. Is it spam proof yet? what if someone creates 100 bogus presets and uploads it? there should be some limitations/rules on how many one can upload per hours/day, etc.
2. Is the clean up automated? lets say after #1, you ban the person. does the system then delete all the presets submitted by the banned person? this would be very useful
3. I would also suggest to allow the users to ban/block someone at their level. For example, lets say I don't like presets submitted by person X and will not like to download any future presets by that person, so I should be allowed to block that user so it doesn't sync with my system

I am over-thinking this :-D
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

Yeah, too many people have no honor these days, that's why I keep the good ones close :D.

So:
1. No spam, I don't think it's necessary, the opposite could be a problem - people creating nothing.
2. No, I have to do that manually, not a big deal. It can be scripted, but I hope it won't get that far.
3. Well, that's probably an overkill indeed :).
Vojtech

Sounds all cool so fare.
But, does the exchange work already?
I did press the online exchange button in the synt settings, but it says it cant connect to the online server.
Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers
classic

Hi classic, just tried and everything seems fine. What OS and plugin are you trying? Do you have the 9.00b3 installed?
Vojtech

Is that a message from the plug-in itself, or from something-else?
Is your Internet Security program blocking access by the DAW?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Strange.
I still have the 8.10 version.
Any time I check for updates it says no updates found.
I have to check this manualy i guess.
See if it works than.

Anyway. Where can I find the update installers???
Can´t find them on the developers HP

Return to “MeldaProduction”