Is Bitwig a slow and sluggish DAW?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
do anybody else experience Bitwig as a sluggish, slow to load, prone to freezing-type DAW? I often do and it's becoming quite of a problem when working with big projects.

The thing is, I really like Bitwig, it's fantastic in most respects but damn is it a hazzle to use in large, CPU-intensive projects. As soon as the plugin-count starts racking up it becomes harder and harder to even load projects succesfully. I have a modern PC with a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and the DSP-graph rarely passes the half-mark but still Bitwig freezes time and time again. It's annoying to say the least.

I have a hard time defining this as a distinct "bug" which prompts me to post it as a thread rather than a bug-report.

Is it just me or do other people experience similiar things?

since the latest builds it's quite solid over here. Wich Bitwig version are you using? Still performance issues can have different reasons, so still might be better to write support, they can comment your setup and suggest stuff best.

Also which plugins do you use?

LAMeduck wrote:Hello,
do anybody else experience Bitwig as a sluggish, slow to load, prone to freezing-type DAW? I often do and it's becoming quite of a problem when working with big projects.

The thing is, I really like Bitwig, it's fantastic in most respects but damn is it a hazzle to use in large, CPU-intensive projects. As soon as the plugin-count starts racking up it becomes harder and harder to even load projects succesfully. I have a modern PC with a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and the DSP-graph rarely passes the half-mark but still Bitwig freezes time and time again. It's annoying to say the least.

I have a hard time defining this as a distinct "bug" which prompts me to post it as a thread rather than a bug-report.

It's definitely just you. and I recommend that you :
1. try to isolate the usual suspects; the vst's.. (a) try using a high count of tracks first, no vsts what so ever.. say a 50 tracks song. (b) use same vst on all of these tracks then see what happens. (c) Try using a 64-bit vst first then replace those instances with a 32-bit version of the same vst. (d) If all works fine up to this point change the vst's on all tracks with another one.. again 64-bit first. (e) keep changing these variables until you start to see the system slows down as described.

2. Have your preferences point the cache to a 7200 RPM Drive.. better yet to an SSD drive if you can afford one.

Hope that works as a starting point.

LAMeduck wrote:Hello,

Bitwig is slow for me even with not much DSP load. This acts slow for me when alot of midi information and midi clips is in project. Like moving a clip or a note gets incredible slow... Ive repported this before, they would look on performence they said, they saw my video recording and they agreed. But i havent seen a perforemnce fix on this yet
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

Do you get this bug window when Bitwig freezes where you can send the bug report directly from the program? If yes, definetely try to use that. AFAIK reporting it this way also sends some log file to the support which helps the devs tracing back the cause.
If not, regular bug report might help you nevertheless. Probably they have some experience where the best places are to look at first. Maybe you can send them the list of plugins (+whether you use them in 32 or 64 bit) you use?

Some people might fetch the pitchforks here, but if you are dead serious about audio, get a Mac.

I'm collaborating with a friend that has a beast of a PC (32gb ram, i7, ssd. Massive specs) and we are sharing my Bitwig license. I just have a macbook pro 2014 i7 15". The exact same plugs etc on a massive project starts to get sluggish on the PC whilst my mac carries on without a hitch. We thought it was the Bitwig differences on the different platforms, so we loaded Ableton on both machines and made similar plugin heavy project on there. Also got a few dips and spikes on Ableton on the PC, no problem on the Mac.

If you really want to carry on with a PC, I recommend bouncing as much as possible and A/B between two projects, bouncing and copy/pasting the clips between them.
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about fidelity. I just make music.

It does freeze here and there, there are things that set it off. Slow? No. Mouse is slow. Like, try adjusting automation on several copies... you'll scream in frustration soon enough

blouaap wrote:Some people might fetch the pitchforks here, but if you are dead serious about audio, get a Mac.

I'm collaborating with a friend that has a beast of a PC (32gb ram, i7, ssd. Massive specs) and we are sharing my Bitwig license. I just have a macbook pro 2014 i7 15". The exact same plugs etc on a massive project starts to get sluggish on the PC whilst my mac carries on without a hitch. We thought it was the Bitwig differences on the different platforms, so we loaded Ableton on both machines and made similar plugin heavy project on there. Also got a few dips and spikes on Ableton on the PC, no problem on the Mac.

If you really want to carry on with a PC, I recommend bouncing as much as possible and A/B between two projects, bouncing and copy/pasting the clips between them.
sounds like a misconfiguration to me

this might help: https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support ... -daws.html

The only time java is slow and sluggish is because of a slow and sluggish developer :)

Edit: Oops wrong thread
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about fidelity. I just make music.

The automatic data 'thinning' when recording automation from control devices sure makes me wonder if Bitwig Studio actually wants to behave like a slow and sluggish DAW. :?

I'm expecting it will eventually be better. It's still ver. 1.2. The journey has just begun.

I get severe slow down when selecting many clips, even on only 6-10 tracks. But otherwise I do not experience much.

I find the loading time a bit slow around 17sec compared to Renoise around 2 sec on Ubuntu liinux OS.

As I mentioned earlier, there is an issue with the TurboBoost on Linux. I had a poor Bitwig performance until I've switched CPU governor to the "performance" one.

Code: Select all

sudo cpupower frequency-set -g performance
I suspect that you getting a similar issue on Windows. Though I don't know how to solve it on Windows.

Return to “Bitwig”