How to get this style bass riff….

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas on how to create riffs like the bass in this track? -

https://soundcloud.com/mixchopin/make-me-hot

The sound is cool, but its how the guy creates this kind of riff that interests me. Is it an arpeggio on a soft synth? That was my only guess. It sounds way too intricate to program and pretty sure its not played in by hand.

Thanks

Are you talking about the part that starts at around 1:26? Yeah, it sounds like it is played by hand on a synth. No arpeggio - too irregular.

I can't believe that bass is played in by hand. It sounds like there's too many notes being played for it to be by hand. Surely that's some sort of arpeggio?
soundcloud.com/feel-this-productions

feelthis wrote:It sounds like there's too many notes being played for it to be by hand.
An old trick is to record fast parts at half tempo. Or record it with many errors to sketch out the idea, then manually correct it in the piano roll.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

feelthis wrote:I can't believe that bass is played in by hand. It sounds like there's too many notes being played for it to be by hand. Surely that's some sort of arpeggio?
Yeah, good players can do that.

To me it sound like mono synth - and played by two hands.
Hold one note down - and play with other hand several notes that let first note come in between.
You lift higher note, and the other lower already down sound.

Tiny bit of portamento is also cool doing that so there is a slide - not that it's used much here.

And as said - riff probably recorded realtime as midi at slower tempo. You hardly program that, takes longer than learn to play it. And with two hands it's much simpler than it sounds.

feelthis wrote:I can't believe that bass is played in by hand. It sounds like there's too many notes being played for it to be by hand. Surely that's some sort of arpeggio?
I know people who can play like that ...

Return to “Production Techniques”