Omnisphere 2 First Impressions?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Someone mentioned to create this thread from the other Omni 2 thread and seems like a good idea. So, how is it? Can someone please make some videos for those of us who have, or choose, to wait for the servers to clear up. It'll give us something to do in the meantime :D Cheers
Last edited by Tjivory on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This thing is DEEP. If you liked the original Omnisphere, you'll like the upgrade. It has lots more of the wickedly awesome sounds that came included with 1, but there are more, and the sonic capabilities even more intense.

I have played through about 200 of the new presets. I guess I have about 2,800 to go. There are just a bazillion new sounds. Lots of them are VERY interesting and inspiring. I could easily compose tons of music with just the new sounds I've heard already.

There are definitely a lot of sounds skewed toward people doing EDM, Dub, and other kinds of electronica. That's not really me, but I understand the need to keep the presets current.

So far I have not come across many sounds that you could call traditional. I would say that - like Omnisphere 1 - there is an emphasis on sounds that you're just not going to hear anywhere else. Very creative sound design. This is like a Kronos on acid.

The interface remains easy to use (at least for me). Tweaking sounds, effects, and arps is easy as pie.

I am looking forward to making some demo videos, but I want to play with this thing first. :)
http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd - 150+ synth demo videos.
DP, Omnisphere 2, Diva, Zebra, Alchemy, Sylenth1
Montage 8, Moog LP, Yamaha MOX6, Virus TI Polar

While I'm happy to wait for my boxed version, I'm frankly a bit surprised that Spectrasonics hasn't posted a bunch of demo tracks. How am I to go on for the next few days without knowing what the Furby™ sound source sounds like as a synth!? :cry:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

mwalthius wrote: I am looking forward to making some demo videos, but I want to play with this thing first. :)
Lol, that is quite understandable :hihi: I'm just glad to hear the first reply about it was positive, which bodes pretty well for it, though it was expected (it's Spectrasonics afterall). At the very least it's not a ST3 or RP, which is good enough for now.

If you do end up making a video, please showcase the new wavetable functions and create a preset for it if possible :party:
Last edited by Tjivory on Fri May 01, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anyone tried the "phrases" menu in the sound sources browser? Tons of new stuff in there including many new vocal samples. :-)

Check out the "thriftshop speaker" unit in the amplifiers FX menu, look at the list in the "device" menu, brilliant! :D

Posted in the other thread, copied here where it's probably more relevant...

Summary - kind of overwhelming. What I mean is - the sheer number of ways to start, combined with the sheer number of ways to manipulate is mind-boggling. One of my strong early impressions is that the 3rd party guys are going to have a field day and the market will explode with more specifically targeted packs... it just feels utterly inexhaustible. All those wavetables.. all those soundsources... Inner space... granular.... Etc... You can seemingly start from anything and end up with anything.

I'm just going to have to start using it day by day really. There are a couple of niggles I'd say... That browser is fantastic and all important, but it feels like they ran out of time to tag their own stuff properly. Some of Diego Stocco's new patches (fabulous of course) don't seem to even have categories or types assigned, so you won't find them in the obvious searches. Some fairly obvious looking tag combos don't return many results, and you know there's a lot more in there - indeed I found them later when browsing around other things. I hope they'll update the database in due course.

One other thought - would love access to power buttons for unison / granular etc from the main page. It feels like a little more button pressing than Omni 1 to get around the basics - perhaps that's inevitable, but I think there might be some refining they can do.

Some lovely factory sounds from Matt Bowdler (The Unfinished), Skippy and Plughugger, btw.

So it's.. beyond huge. So many great features and sounds, the UI is still so much better than everyone else's. For the price of the upgrade, simply astonishing. Any reservations I suspect are .0 ones, I guess the refinements and inevitable glitch fixes will come. And hopefully all the launch day aggro will be soon forgotten.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

This is my 1st impression:

Down for Maintenance ...
Sorry, the Spectrasonics Techshop is closed for maintenance. We will re-open soon!

Looks like their website has crashed as predicted. Best in, best dressed. :x
Been waiting months for this and now I cant even download it.

zerocrossing wrote:While I'm happy to wait for my boxed version, I'm frankly a bit surprised that Spectrasonics hasn't posted a bunch of demo tracks. How am I to go on for the next few days without knowing what the Furby™ sound source sounds like as a synth!? :cry:
:lol:

Due to the EULA I can't upload it either :P

I will just have to make a track called "Furbies on Acid"
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

What is the download size and how long did it take to install?

Kinh wrote:Down for Maintenance ...
Sorry, the Spectrasonics Techshop is closed for maintenance. We will re-open soon!
I'm starting to think that it is beyond human capability to cope with this sort of event. Has there ever been a large download release that went smoothly?
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

C'mon people, there's a whole other thread to whine about downloading and installation problems- can we try to keep this one for actual impressions by people who have used it?

Aural Chaos wrote:C'mon people, there's a whole other thread to whine about downloading and installation problems- can we try to keep this one for actual impressions by people who have used it?
I just want to know how long it takes to install and how big the file is before I drop $500

Mine is an upgrade, so I guess my download was quicker. The installer files are 20GB, but I guess that the download archive is approx 14GB. Both download, installing and authorizing went flawlessly.

Just ran a quick test. I found some presets to be heavy (over 1GB of sampled content!) but the sonic quality is VERY good. The User Audio feature, even if limited to one sample per layer, works like a charm. Their resampler is really good. This is a short video I took using only 1 sample from one of my commercial sample libraries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeGTPaXp79c

Am loving it - endlessly deep... Got lost for 45 minutes making my first patch.

The only strange behavior (bug?) so far is that the user sample I dropped onto the B layer went onto the A layer instead. Can't check if that is proper behavior (hope not), since the site-based manual is currently down.

Return to “Instruments”