'Smoothing' of modulation frustrates key tuning of E-Kick, E-Snare and E-Tom devices

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bitwig Studio seems to apply some kind of 'smoothing' (i.e. interpolation, lag) to (e.g.) the E-Kick, E-Snare and E-Tom device's Tune parameter. When these parameters are modulated using the 'KEY' expression of the Note Mod device, this results in a portamento-like effect (comparable to e.g. the Polysynth device with its Glide parameter set to ±60ms).

I have created a short video (4.1MB .MP4) to illustrate this issue; also see the corresponding project file (21KB .zip). This only illustrates the (mis)behaviour of the E-Tom device; the other 'E-Drum' devices (mis)behave in a highly similar manner, though.

While this portamento-like effect may be desirable in some cases, in many (arguably, even most) others, such a lagged response is not desirable at all - much like a synth that always has a fixed amount of portamento is generally not desirable. Moreover, a comparison to other synths, including the native Polysynth device, arguably demonstrates that it is not necessary (e.g. to prevent audible artefacts such as 'pops' or 'clicks') at all to apply such smoothing. Imho, this seems to be a very unfortunate design flaw.

So, I would suggest that it should somehow be possible to have such smoothing not be applied to these parameters, since that would make them much more usable as 'tuned' instruments - which is what I would like to do very much, but without this portamento-like effect. An on/off switch would already be greatly appreciated, a fully configurable smoothing amount even more.

Also, or perhaps alternatively, I would suggest that such smoothing should be configurable by the user at the source (rather than the target) of modulation, i.e. it should be added as a parameter to the KEY modulation source in the Note MOD device.

Return to “Bitwig”