Most common formula for time parameter mapping for envelopes

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use time = (10^x-1)*range for input 0-1 ... it turned out its bit "unnatural".
Is there any common exponential transform that feels more natural in the whole range?
giq

Hi itoa,

I found this blog series very helpful with regards to envelopes:
http://www.earlevel.com/main/2013/06/01 ... enerators/

I think your question is mainly answered in the second part.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

I was asking about a convenient slider - time value mapping. This article explains how envelopes work. Thanks anyway.
giq

An interesting question. Never wrote any softsynths.

Is it known that envelope knobs or sliders follow exponential curve? Maybe old synth controls are sometimes linear potentiometers, though there were common tricks to make linear pots behave somewhat non-linear according to what fixed resistors are combined in a network surrounding the linear control.

Presuming the early generation EG's had satisfactory control feel, most of the early units were not sophisticated, voltage controlled or whatever-- Just physical variable resistors and assorted simple control logic steering the various variable resistors into some kind of integrator.

If you can snag a few antique synths for temp testing, you could set up simple patches and record the audio envelope of various knob/slider settings to derive a pragmatic map of the relationship of control position vs time, and sustain control position vs level?

The question is rather about exp sharpness and range
giq

Maybe a simple x^2 or x^3? I dunno...

Common practices from synth creators :) ?
giq

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”