Harmony voices

Official support for: realitone.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Based on the video walkthroughs and the manuals, the following statement appears to be true. In The Ladies you can have multiple voices, and you can have harmony. But all of the harmony parts are sung by the same voice or set of voices. You can't have one voice sing a melody line and different voices sing harmony parts, except in different instances of the library. Two questions:

(1) Am I right about this?

(2) Assuming I'm right, how hard would it be to implement what I'm describing? That is, aside from some obvious problems like parts merging for a note or a whole phrase, parts disappearing for notes or measures at a time, etc.

Soundiron's Questionably Barbershop does more-or-less what I have in mind. Quoting from the manual, "the 'Auto-Voice' selections automatically selects different voices based on key range and polyphony."

Don't worry, Ladies, the barbershop gents are not going to sing you out of your jobs. They're a lot of fun -- especially for the price -- but not in your league.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by rrichard63 on Mon May 01, 2017 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hi Richard. Your interpretation is correct. All the harmony parts will be sung by the same singer (or set of singers.) I'm considering trying to do a poly legato where different singers can be on each part, but it's likely to be pretty complicated and suffer from the obvious problems you named.

Another issue is that since it would require some additional settings (to determine which singer does which parts, how many parts, what to do if fewer parts are played, etc.), it could turn out to be more work than just recording separate tracks.

Even now, personally, I use the Poly legato feature for sketching out ideas, but for the final tracks, even if I want the same singer doing all the parts, I would still give each singer their own track. This way they won't sound as "blocky" and I can do volume rides on each individual part, as well as little timing differences.

That's not to say I'm not going to try it. But I'm trying to weigh the benefit versus the cost.

Thank you for the very thoughtful comments. Whether I want the parts on one track or separate tracks depends on the style of music. Chordal styles like barbershop and bluegrass are obvious choices for one track, so you can play chords on the keyboard and get close to what you want pretty quickly.

Speaking of styles, add me to the, um, chorus of fans clamoring for the release of The Gents.

Thanks again.

--Bob Richard

You can split the keyboard in Kontakt and have each singer allowed to produce notes only in the region you define in Kontakt.
This can be accomplished with one Ladies instrument loaded or multiple Ladies instruments loaded into the same instance of Kontakt.
The first example shows deletion of samples which may or may not be what you want to try.
I used the second example to give each singer a defined range in Kontakt.
This is probably basic stuff, but it helped me understand it better.
keyboard split
Then you can tune each singer down 4 semitones to get the Gents.

Return to “Realitone”