Studio One 3: Did you upgrade?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi gang,

we all waited looong for the update - I guess everybody's now trying extensivly the demoversion...but what I would like to know....did you upgrade?

let us know, are you happy with the purchase?

At my site...I am undecided with a strong tendency to buy it...not.

I was perfectly happy with 2... So I really didn't care much about the upgrade. However, the extra sounds, instruments and a couple interesting features thrown in for the price of a synth seemed like a deal to me. Plus I still have 2 if 3 goes wonky. So, not a tough decision on my part. I prefer the black/grey to blue also... I'm good. 8)

No upgrade path from Producer to Artist... and without VST support, some missing functionality compared to Producer, and many of the soundsets, it'd feel like a downgrade anyway. Looks to me as if they'd want people to buy the Pro version.

Yes... I'm for the most part very happy with V3. Lots of great features. Having one or two plugin problems (with Waves metal filter which I didn't have with V2).

I've not bothered to download any of the soundbanks or samples - Because I've gigs upon gigs lots of that content.

Easily worth the upgrade imo. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Not yet, will do so soon.

I have not upgraded from S1v2 (Producer) yet, but that's primarily because it's not my main DAW and I rarely collaborate with anyone who uses it anymore, so I can't really justify the $200 upgrade price. That said, I bought S1v2 Producer at some ridiculously low no-brainer price, so I'll keep an eye out for a similar deal on the upgrade to S1v3 Pro and maybe take advantage of it then.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote:I have not upgraded from S1v2 (Producer) yet, but that's primarily because it's not my main DAW and I rarely collaborate with anyone who uses it anymore, so I can't really justify the $200 upgrade price. That said, I bought S1v2 Producer at some ridiculously low no-brainer price, so I'll keep an eye out for a similar deal on the upgrade to S1v3 Pro and maybe take advantage of it then.
Exactly the same for me. :)

I paid for the Pro upgrade and have had a few sessions to start to get a feel for it. Visually it took some tweaking to get it to look the way I wanted it to, but even after a short time with the new GUI, V2 now looks ancient to me. Some people like the minimalist look of V2, but I'd have a hard time going back now.

As far as stability and performance go, I had one unexpected crash, but it was after I closed a song, so it didn't impact anything. There have been numerous complaints about CPU usage, but I actually increased the Process Precision from 32 to 64, which requires more CPU, but I didn't see any increase in CPU and overall I've noticed my songs load more quickly and my plugins open more quickly as well. It just feels more snappy than V2 on my system (PC, Windows 7, AMD quad core).

Of course, there are missing features I'd like to see like mixer undo, automation on the project page, a better browser management system, but I'm very happy with V3. Features like the new Arranger and SynchPad suit my composition needs pretty well.

Nope, but probably will in a few months or a year when there is a sale...
Play it by ear

TrekStar wrote:Hi gang,

we all waited looong for the update - I guess everybody's now trying extensivly the demoversion...but what I would like to know....did you upgrade?
Yes.
let us know, are you happy with the purchase?
Yes, great update.

Why would anyone bother making a great DAW when so many sheep will buy beautified horse turd?

Updated, kinda disappointed :(

Cons:
Dark UI (white on black text) has been quite problematic. I find it really difficult to read when switching from a black on white text environment, or a bright light.
Presence XT being limited in making your own libraries.
Arranger track is pretty limited and not even remotely on par with competitor's options.
Higher CPU usage for me.
Mai Tai is totally useless to me.
Audio editing wasn't improved in any way.
Default shortcuts still suck and require a fully custom solution for laptops.
FX chain implementation is really frustrating if you've used any other multi-VST chainer or modular system like Mux. It's frustrating to use period, actually.

Pros:
The new browser looks neat.

Dude, this is the Cubase killer IMHO! I am in heaven with this! Presonus took the best of the 1,000,000 DAWs that I have, and welded it all together to make a superb, extremely efficient to use, DAW of the future! Is it perfect? To some it might not be. To me? It is! I was going to blow this off as just another DAW, but I am so glad that I didn't because I just found my home. This does everything I expect it to do and does it really easily and efficiently. I can not get this smile off my face.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Robert Randolph wrote:Updated, kinda disappointed :(

Cons:
Dark UI (white on black text) has been quite problematic. I find it really difficult to read when switching from a black on white text environment, or a bright light.
Presence XT being limited in making your own libraries.
Arranger track is pretty limited and not even remotely on par with competitor's options.
Higher CPU usage for me.
Mai Tai is totally useless to me.
Audio editing wasn't improved in any way.
Default shortcuts still suck and require a fully custom solution for laptops.
FX chain implementation is really frustrating if you've used any other multi-VST chainer or modular system like Mux. It's frustrating to use period, actually.

Pros:
The new browser looks neat.
Trying out the demo I am tending to agree with you Robert.

The new GUI is a pain IMO. After using it for an hour or so, I couldn't see properly - where are the edges between the sections? Kept clicking on the wrong spot. Customising it doesn't help that much either - it's just too flat for my tastes.

Presence XT's "upgrade" is a joke. Can't load user samples or make keymaps. Still only one stereo output - great for drum kits :roll: I never used it before, and I won't use it now either.

Mai-Tai sounds good, but then again I don't need another VA, especially not one that uses so much CPU.

I didn't notice much difference with the CPU hit on the projects I tried, but yeah, audio editing is the same. As is MIDI. No! MIDI editing is worse now because the editor's background is too bloody dark and cannot be changed.

No undo for the mixer/multi instruments/FX chain! Great!

I know that many S1 users love V3, but for me it's not much of an upgrade, more like an up-bloat.

I'll continue trying it till the 30 days expires, then I'll decide, but so far the more I use it, the more I want to go back to 2.

chk071 wrote:
cryophonik wrote:I have not upgraded from S1v2 (Producer) yet, but that's primarily because it's not my main DAW and I rarely collaborate with anyone who uses it anymore, so I can't really justify the $200 upgrade price. That said, I bought S1v2 Producer at some ridiculously low no-brainer price, so I'll keep an eye out for a similar deal on the upgrade to S1v3 Pro and maybe take advantage of it then.
Exactly the same for me. :)
:tu: Yep , me too S1V2producer here :party: . Im sure they'll do a SALE eventually Im guessing the day after ThanksGiving ( late November ) maybe sooner ? On a positive note it looks like a nice upgrade , these seem like the Top 4 features and improvements imho , arranger track , scratchpad ,instrument effects chainer thingy, and GUI improvements . I wont comment about what I think seemed cheesy . :tu:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”