hardware synths with vst integration - like the vírus ti

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, this is 2015 and i would like to know which hardware synths have vst integration? Like the virus ti series, where you connect the synth via USB to the computer and you can use it as a vsti inside your sequencer. No need for audio or midi cables.

Note: im not asking for vst synths with a dedicated midi controller, like the arturia stuff.
Last edited by hcv242 on Sun May 31, 2015 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage Drum Machine Kits for the Roland TR8-S & MC-707 https://rhythmelectronics.bandcamp.com

Electron Analog4 and RTYM offer analog hardware synths with VSTi control.....supposed to be out this weekend!

http://eu.elektron.se/2015/04/overbridge-news/
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

The Yamaha MOXF6 and MOXF8 support VST audio in DAWs that support VST3. And like SLiC mentioned, Elektron's Overbridge will offer a pretty similar feature set to the TI... but Virus Total Integration has been on the market since 2005, and it's only been like the last couple of years that anyone has had anything close to what the TIs can do.

Thanks, guys. I also find it weird..ti since 2005 and nothing else.
Vintage Drum Machine Kits for the Roland TR8-S & MC-707 https://rhythmelectronics.bandcamp.com

hcv242 wrote:Thanks, guys. I also find it weird..ti since 2005 and nothing else.
Yeah, Roland had (and missed) a huge opportunity to do something cool with the Aira line, but instead ended up with this crazy instrument-as-interface solution that was locked down at 96kHz for some reason? Maybe that was their master plan all along so you'd have to get their MX-1 thing, but it pretty much guaranteed I wouldn't touch those devices.

The Prophet 12 also has a VST interface ($100 extra :( ).

gnosis123 wrote:The Prophet 12 also has a VST interface ($100 extra :( ).
If you want to pay over $3000 freaking dollars for a Prophet 12, you should have no problem paying an extra $100.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Shy wrote:
If you want to pay over $3000 freaking dollars for a Prophet 12, you should have no problem paying an extra $100.
I have the module. Looking at it the other way - if they charge $2k for the module, you'd think they'd toss in the VST (as Access does with the Virus).

gnosis123 wrote:
Shy wrote:
I have the module. Looking at it the other way - if they charge $2k for the module, you'd think they'd toss in the VST (as Access does with the Virus).
I would never think that. It is DSI, after all.

It's only a third-party tool for editing patches though, yeah? It doesn't actually support audio streaming over USB like the Virus or Overbridge can.

If we're just talking about patch editors, Moog does VST and app editors for some of their synths. I don't know how many other HW synth manufacturers actually publish their own editors, though, other than Roland. You can get third-party editors for just about anything that supports MIDI.
Last edited by UltimateOutsider on Fri May 29, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLiC wrote:Electron Analog4 and RTYM offer analog hardware synths with VSTi control.....supposed to be out this weekend!

Hard to imagine they'd release a public beta of this size and scope on a weekend.Or even late on a Friday.
But I'd be happy to be proven wrong....

UltimateOutsider wrote:
It's only a third-party tool for editing patches though, yeah? It doesn't actually support audio streaming over USB like the Virus or Overbridge can.
Correct. It does automation, but not audio streaming. Not nearly as nice as the Virus'.

gnosis123 wrote:
UltimateOutsider wrote:
Correct. It does automation, but not audio streaming. Not nearly as nice as the Virus'.
I don't think that's a big deal, because for audio streaming it would require analog to digital conversion anyway. Virus streams the digital audio that's generated within the synth, without conversion. So with the hybrid synth you may lose a couple of analog inputs on your interface or ADC, but that's pretty much the only downside, it can only be played in real time anyway.

SLiC wrote:Electron Analog4 and RTYM offer analog hardware synths with VSTi control.....supposed to be out this weekend!

Damn that does look good, I may just have to get an A4

There are even better reasons than that, IMO!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”