Parallax/Paradromic - ElectroProg (Seismic Viewpoints)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This began life as an ambient piece but then grew some Dubstep legs. I toned down the percussion during the mixing process to keep the piece firmly planted in the land of chill. Most of the synths on here are Z3ta+2 presets with some light mods or automations. The mix was relatively straightforward as was the mastering.

EDIT:20221025 - removed mp3 link

on SoundCloud at 320kbps

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/parallax

Instruments and implements:-

recorded/mixed and pre-mastered in EnergyXT2.7 - Mastered in T-Racks 3

Z3ta+2
Axon
Tremor
DuneCM
FMERA
REFLEXplus
Stutter Edit
Breeze
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR -13

EDIT - 20150809

Here is Paradromic, a more minimal interpretation of the original track. I have cut back on the lead and bass synth lines, tweaked some of the vocal synth harmonies and made some minor adjustments to the StutterEdit processing.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/paradromic

Same tools used for this remix.

DR - 12

EDIT:20221026 - I remixed Parallax again in May 2022. I wanted to decrease the levels in the master slightly, and took the opportunity to revisit the EQ settings in the mix and re-mastered using the original chain.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/para ... ks5-master

Recorded and mixed in EnergyXT 2.7
Mastered in T-Racks 5

Z3ta+2
Axon
Tremor
DuneCM
FMERA
REFLEXplus
Stutter Edit
Breeze
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 12
Last edited by seismic1 on Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Very nice changes and orchestration with just enough mystery.

I like the space been the parts, it takes discipline to pull that off.

Gets nicely Vangelis-ish near the end.

Very nice, reminds of Ozric Tentacles at their best.

great sounds, great mix and composition, nothing not to like on this one tim. i was glued to my headphones all the way through. good good stuff! :phones:
btw, i think you know i'm a bass head and this had some juicy bass in it! :love:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

PatchAdamz wrote:Very nice changes and orchestration with just enough mystery.

Lately I seem to have developed a predilection for using pads with a vocal character in my tracks. I think the "soft" qualities associated with these sounds helps to maintain the space that your refer to. I think I've also been using less instrument instances over the last year or so, and my mixing technique seems to be a better fit here. I also have a bigger selection of reverb/delay FX available, so I'm spoilt for choice in that department. I really like the 2C reverbs on this more "ambient" sounding stuff, and REFLEXplus is a wonderful tool too.

Thanks very much for the wonderful comments, PatchAdamz. Glad you liked it :)

layzer wrote:nothing not to like on this one tim
+1

Lots of good tension and suspense. And for what it is worth I also
think the mix went very well.

Cheers :tu:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

seismic1 wrote:

Lately I seem to have developed a predilection for using pads with a vocal character in my tracks. I think the "soft" qualities associated with these sounds helps to maintain the space that your refer to. I think I've also been using less instrument instances over the last year or so, and my mixing technique seems to be a better fit here. I also have a bigger selection of reverb/delay FX available, so I'm spoilt for choice in that department. I really like the 2C reverbs on this more "ambient" sounding stuff, and REFLEXplus is a wonderful tool too.

It is musical and production growth.

More space, less clutter = most listener accessibility.

Again, nice job.

I like the sinister feel of this, combined with the fast hats building up the tension. The section at 5:30 works well, where it all drops away and then gradually comes back again. The whole thing made me think of Mr. X by Ultravox, with some Vangelis-y influence. Very enjoyable :)

layzer wrote:great sounds, great mix and composition, nothing not to like on this one tim. i was glued to my headphones all the way through. good good stuff! :phones:
btw, i think you know i'm a bass head and this had some juicy bass in it! :love:
Cheers, layzer. Thanks for listening and commenting. Glad you liked it :)

That smooth, deep bass synth is one of the DuneCM presets. It was such a good fit on here, that I left it alone, apart from some automated reverb processing and the usual eq job. I was a little worried about Frantz prized porcelain collection. He may still be clearing up the debris :wink:

highly enjoyed here, seismic! this was good built up. the Sound of the solo synth - somehow fragile and electronically detailed - was very attractive! also the rest of the Sound choice was very tasteful. I especially enjoyed the harmony progressions from 03:23-05:22.
Big thumbs up :tu:

sbj wrote:
layzer wrote:nothing not to like on this one tim
+1

Lots of good tension and suspense. And for what it is worth I also
think the mix went very well.

Cheers :tu:
Thanks very much, sbj. Glad you liked it, and happy that you liked the mix :)

Tension/suspense/chillout - multi-functional :wink:

And here I thought we would be hobnobbing with Hobgoblin again but we have flashed forward to the present day. I was concerned about the mention of dubstep which could have been a dubious step for you. Fortunately, this falls into the Seismic sweetspot of melancholic beat-driven moodiness. The result is excellent. Z3ta complements your music very well. The dark, bass-heavy sound of previous mixes is gone. This is a full frequency recording with a clear, transparent widescreen sound. The mix is flawless. The use of reverb is subtle and effective. My precious porcelain was completely undisturbed even at high volume. :ud:

My only minor complaint is what sounds like a false ending at around the 6 minute mark but I guess I got used to the track springing back to life.

Overall, very enjoyable. :tu:

PatchAdamz wrote:
seismic1 wrote:

It is musical and production growth.

More space, less clutter = most listener accessibility.

Again, nice job.
Thanks again for the great comments :) I fear it's going to be much harder to maintain that sparseness/space in my regular Electroprog infused techno. Let's see what happens.

kryptonaut wrote:I like the sinister feel of this, combined with the fast hats building up the tension. The section at 5:30 works well, where it all drops away and then gradually comes back again. The whole thing made me think of Mr. X by Ultravox, with some Vangelis-y influence. Very enjoyable :)
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, kryptonaut. It is much appreciated :)

Most of my recent tracks seem to be darker in nature than my earlier work. I'm trying to figure out why this would be. It may be because my current remix project is focused on the earlier stuff, and writing these new pieces is just a reaction to the lighter moods present in the older tracks. Or it may be that I am just a miserable old git, rebelling against the joys of the nine-to-five :wink:

Glad you liked it. :)

Nice composition : )

TrekStar wrote:highly enjoyed here, seismic! this was good built up. the Sound of the solo synth - somehow fragile and electronically detailed - was very attractive! also the rest of the Sound choice was very tasteful. I especially enjoyed the harmony progressions from 03:23-05:22.
Big thumbs up :tu:
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, wolf. Glad you liked it :)

I've had Z3ta+2 for a while, but only just started using it in my tracks recently. Hopefully, I'll be using this again soon. Glad you enjoyed the harmonies too. That aspect of the track required the most consideration and and tweaking.

Return to “Music Cafe”