Omnisphere Setup

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

Im quite a noob when it comes to MIDI. Trying to get Omnisphere 2 setup for Channel per note with pitch, timbre and loudness all setup so the Linnstrument can operate at its full potential.

I understand how to set the linnstrument via the official site but the software side is really confusing for me. I'm using Logic and Rogers project files to get started but I have yet to program any CC stuff.... ever. Wondering if anyone can help with an Omnisphere setup?

Hi lxm,
I recently added Omnisphere 2 to our Recommended Sound Generators page, accessed from the LinnStrument page, including the following comment regarding achieving polyphonic 3-dimensional expression:

"You must create a 'Multi'. Create your sound on Part 1, then from the Utility menu select 'Clone Part 1' to copy your sound to parts 2 through 8 for 8-note polyphonic expression."

Given that you're new to MIDI, you're welcome to give me a call at 510 666-6930 if you need me to step you through the details.

Thanks for the response Roger!

I got that far but am confused on how to program the Y and Z parameters like you have setup with the Logic project files. How do I set those up?

If you're asking how to set them up in LinnStrument, LinnStrument sends Z (pressure) using either Channel Pressure, Polyphonic Pressure or Control Change. The emerging standard for sending Z in Channel Per Note mode is to use Channel Pressure, so I'd suggest using that, which you can select in the Per-Split Settings. For Y-axis control, the emerging standard is Control Change 74, which you can also select in the Per-Split Settings. And if you want to play notes with polyphonic expression, you'll need to set MIDI Mode to Channel Per Note, sending each note on a separate MIDI channel. Given that Omnisphere's "Multi" receives on channel 1-8, you'll want to set LinnStrument's Per-Note Channels to 1-8.

If you're asking how to set them up in Omnisphere 2, you'll need to create a sound in Part 1 that responds as you wish to Channel Pressure, Pitch Bend and CC74 messages. Then you should select Utility menu > Clone Part 1 in order to copy the part 1 you created to parts 2 - 8. Now you should be able to play each of simultaneous notes on LinnStrument with 3 dimensions of independent expression.

Roger_Linn wrote:
If you're asking how to set them up in Omnisphere 2, you'll need to create a sound in Part 1 that responds as you wish to Channel Pressure, Pitch Bend and CC74 messages.
This is the part im stuck with. Do I do it within the plug? Or Logic? I dont understand how to set Channel pressure or CC74

That's a tough one because the answer requires that I give you a fairly lengthy tutorial about products I don't make. One problem with making a MIDI controller is that it unfortunately assumes a working knowledge of MIDI. That said, how about starting with the sounds in my Logic project file to see how it's done, then use that knowledge to create your desired sounds? I can tell you that Logic's MIDI Mono Mode (that enables polyphonic expression/bends) only permit polyphonic pressure and pitch bend but not Y-axis control. Omnisphere does permit fully polyphonic 3-dimensional control, but every time you make a change to the sound, you must "Clone Part 1" in order to copy it to all 8 voices.
Or perhaps someone on the forum would like to help this gentleman with a Logic tutorial?

Roger_Linn wrote:That's a tough one because the answer requires that I give you a fairly lengthy tutorial about products I don't make. One problem with making a MIDI controller is that it unfortunately assumes a working knowledge of MIDI. That said, how about starting with the sounds in my Logic project file to see how it's done, then use that knowledge to create your desired sounds? I can tell you that Logic's MIDI Mono Mode (that enables polyphonic expression/bends) only permit polyphonic pressure and pitch bend but not Y-axis control. Omnisphere does permit fully polyphonic 3-dimensional control, but every time you make a change to the sound, you must "Clone Part 1" in order to copy it to all 8 voices.
Or perhaps someone on the forum would like to help this gentleman with a Logic tutorial?
I tried to see how to do it with the project file and I still dont get it. So it's done within Logic not the plugin? Is there a "search" I can google to learn how this all works? I understand Logic and Omni need to send CC information to eachother but thats about it :neutral: :dog:

My understanding of MIDI was having one(88 Keyboard) for years and just playing it to trigger sounds. I cant be the only one I would think thats had a similar experiance. A primer for this stuff would be really helpful.

Logic includes a number of its own plug-ins, for example a modeled analog synth (ES2), a sampler player (EXS24) and others. For tutorials, you might try searching for "Logic Pro X Tutorial" in YouTube, or you could simply take the tutorials included with Logic Pro X. It sounds like you are interested in learning the basics of MIDI and modulation, so those would be good places to look in Logic's documentation. At this point it seems that we're having a one-to-one conversation, which isn't the best use of a forum. That's why I suggested a call, which I believe would be easier for you.

Think I've got it???? for anyone who needs help.

"TIMBRE" (Y)

Logic - Set to touch automation

Omnisphere - Learn MIDI CC(on whatever paramater you want ie cutoff)

Logic - Select CC74

Omnisphere - Clone part one for note per channel if you desire

Omnisphere - IF you are in are in note per channel mode right click the GUI "MIDI learn and automation", "clone part 1 midi learns". IT wouldn't work otherwise.

Still figuring it out. Been pulling my hair out :(

Still cant seem to set up Loudness Z with Omnisphere. Not sure how to map it!?

Hi LXM,
Unfortunately you probably can't use the MIDI Learn feature of many DAWs in order to set the receiving sound generator to the message that LinnStrument is sending. The reason is that LinnStrument sends out 3 simultaneous streams of continuous messages (for X, Y and Z), so the receiving synth won't know which of those messages to use. I realize that you are frustrated, which is why I will now for the third time invite you to call me at 510 666-6930 to help you. While I can't give you a personal tutorial for all the sound generators made by other companies on the market, I can give you some useful information that will save you time and frustration. The advantage of a phone call is that you don't have to wait a day for each response of the back-and-forth conversation. I appreciate your purchase of a LinnStrument and truly would like to help you.

I have Omnipshere 2 running in logic, using the LinnStrument as the controller. Out of the box, most Omnisphere 2 sounds appear to support 3-D expression. So I cloned part one for Nylon Guitar and got 8 channels of it. Put the LinnStrument in Channel-per-Note mode. Played two notes with pitchbends in opposite direction, which is what I heard. On my LinnStrument, y is set to CC1 and z is set to CC11. Other than the cloning, I didn't do any configuring of Omnisphere 2.

ClifAnd2k wrote:I have Omnipshere 2 running in logic, using the LinnStrument as the controller. Out of the box, most Omnisphere 2 sounds appear to support 3-D expression. So I cloned part one for Nylon Guitar and got 8 channels of it. Put the LinnStrument in Channel-per-Note mode. Played two notes with pitchbends in opposite direction, which is what I heard. On my LinnStrument, y is set to CC1 and z is set to CC11. Other than the cloning, I didn't do any configuring of Omnisphere 2.
That does indeed work well BUT the sound will cut off the second I lift my hands from a pad. Is this normal. I prefer it to ring out naturally when I remove my hands from a pad(s) like Rogers Logic template instruments.

Also finding the responsiveness isnt quite the same with Omni as the Logic demos. Why could that be?

Thanks for the offer Roger I just prefer to figure this out on the forum. Im sure it will help someone else in the future(I hope)

The sound should not cut off when you lift your fingers unless the patch is programmed like that or you have something setup wrong.

With the Linnstrument set to Y=CC1, Z=Chan Pres then you need to use the "Wheel" and "Aftertouch" sources for modulation in Omnisphere.

Everything should just work.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

BobDog wrote:The sound should not cut off when you lift your fingers unless the patch is programmed like that or you have something setup wrong.

With the Linnstrument set to Y=CC1, Z=Chan Pres then you need to use the "Wheel" and "Aftertouch" sources for modulation in Omnisphere.

Everything should just work.
It does indeed cut off the sound using CC11. I dont think I could set up anything wrong with either Lin or Omni.

Trying to use Chan pressure does not give me the desired effect using Filter - cutoff or resonance. I just want the volume to swell like the Logic presets available.

Maybe you can explain exactly what you want and I can send you a multi showing how to set it up?

Do you want pressure to control the volume rather than the usual amp envelope?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”