What's the worst delay for piano?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm serious. If I really want a badly delayed piano, what should I use?

arkmabat wrote:I'm serious. If I really want a badly delayed piano, what should I use?
You could probably dial in a really nasty delay in Sonic Charge Permut8.
http://soniccharge.com/permut8/

It can get pretty ugly. It's probably best to demo it and use it in subtle amounts.
:borg:

Trick question: any delay is wrong for piano!

Use a delay which allows for delay time modulation, so you get pitch shift effects... For example, a MF-104M with lfo in square mode and with some heavy modulation and decent feedback would not be nice on a piano sound. For extra uglyness, make sure the repeats are out of time, so they mess with the rhythmic content.

Anyway, any delay woul do bad on piano, in my opinion the only one that sometimes could work is a very simple delay, so every complex delay is your friend to get an ugly piano sound.

arkmabat wrote:I'm serious. If I really want a badly delayed piano, what should I use?
Apparently UPS is the worst delivery service in the world. Try them.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

If this were a punch-line to a joke I would say latency!! Surely that's the worst type of delay, to the musician anyway!! LOL

On a more constructive side, if you were looking to throw money at it, I would say H-Delay or Kramer Tape.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/delays#

Great thing about those plugins is they are more than a one trick pony and you can get a lot more out of them than just a nasty delay sound, so would definately be worth an investment of you were going that way.

If not, I would say anything tape-like, distorted, with lots of wow and flutter!!

Oh, and if you do buy Waves, wait for the plugin to come on sale, Waves always has sales

...overly excessive Rubato, accidental Ritardandos, and misplaced Fermatas! :wink:

Ping-pong; off-tempo and detuned. :help:
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Duke Nukem Forever? Half-Life 2 Episode 3?

60 milliseconds?

I think the manual method would get the best worst results here. Make several copies of the piano track, offset them in time (randomly, of course), add different effects to each one (e.g., Efffectrix on one, crazy filtering on another, time-stretch another), and drown all that in some metallic sounding reverb.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Try a case of beer and no sleep for 24h.
Result: Mod-Delay with 250-8000 ms ...+ a modulated frequency shifter in the feedback path.
Mix: 100%
- WonderEcho -

foosnark wrote:Duke Nukem Forever? Half-Life 2 Episode 3?
Doom 4 :(

IK Amplitube echoplex running through Plogue ChipCrusher.

Thank you.

Return to “Effects”