Melodic psytrance

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some sort of melodic goa/full-on, along the lines of Space Buddha or Digicult. As usual, not very sure about mixing, any kind of production advice is welcome :)

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/recursive-matrix
Last edited by recursive one on Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Great melody and flow, again :tu: .

I think there's something wrong with the bass, like it's totally in mono while other elements are quite wide and panned around.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger, thank you! :)

Will look into the bass (indeed, it's fully monoed. Aren't the psytrance basslines supposed to be in mono? Full-on bass should be one of the easiest sounds to make but for some reason I often struggle to get it right).

Catchy, melodic stuff is what I miss in a lot of Psy / Goa tracks (I'm not that deep into the genre though), so I enjoyed this one. :tu:

You might to want to check out this guy (one of my faves) which also does great melodic Psy stuff imo (though combining it with breakbeats, which I even like more than 4 to the floor full-on tbh.)

soundcloud.com/tau-muon

(didn't make it an ambedded link to not derail this thread, just meant as maybe inspiration :))

edit:

Just checked out your SC page, noticed you also have some Breaks stuff there, right my taste.
Listening now... :phones:

No_Use, thanks for the listening and for your link! I checked it out, very unusual and well produced music, followed him.

I uploaded a new verison of my song, tweaked the bass and some other things.

recursive one wrote:Aren't the psytrance basslines supposed to be in mono? Full-on bass should be one of the easiest sounds to make but for some reason I often struggle to get it right).
They should be in mono and yes, getting basic psy bass is piece of cake, but getting bass you hear on records, not that much :lol:

Nice one, love the part after 3:25 :love:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila, thanks for the feedback! Glad that you liked the melody part :wink:

Top banana dude. Love it.

What are you using for those short growls you use before a transition?
Not the squelchy (ie, pitched) ones, just the straight growl.

I suspect it's just a filter sweep but they do sound good.

An example is at 0.11
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy, thanks for the listen! :tu:

Mushy Mushy wrote:
What are you using for those short growls you use before a transition?
Not the squelchy (ie, pitched) ones, just the straight growl.

I suspect it's just a filter sweep but they do sound good.

An example is at 0.11
That's Dune2. The sound is based on Dune's FM oscillator with some bitcrushing, envelope attack controls filter sweep and maybe some FM parameters, I don't exactly remember now - I made several such sounds, but only one of them made it into the final mix.

I love Dune's FM engine, while somewhat rudimentary it has very distinctive character - great for such plastic growling sounds.

recursive one wrote:That's Dune2. The sound is based on Dune's FM oscillator with some bitcrushing, envelope attack controls filter sweep and maybe some FM parameters, I don't exactly remember now - I made several such sounds, but only one of them made it into the final mix.

I love Dune's FM engine, while somewhat rudimentary it has very distinctive character - great for such plastic growling sounds.
Thanks for getting back to me.

But don't say that man :x I need another synth like a hole in the head :lol:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Great track!
DJ Warmonger wrote:I think there's something wrong with the bass, like it's totally in mono while other elements are quite wide and panned around.
Bass should be in mono, as it's nearly impossible for there to be any stereo separation at 150 hz and under. Maybe some of the upper harmonics could use some widening, but the low end definitely ought to be mono.

Not really a huge fan of this genre but for what you have here the melody defiantly goes well with the rest of the flow of the song. Like someone said before the instruments were panned a little wide and the mixing could be touched up a little bit more this is an overall good track, keep it up and you have my respect
Never forget where you came from, you'll never know once your gone

https://soundcloud.com/trilltek

Mushy Mushy, i feel you, it's like when someone posts here "listen to this shit! This brand new synth is gorgeous", and I do my best not to click on the link :wink:

DJ Maytag, Trap Tommy, thanks for the feedback!

I may return to the mixing later. Maybe I've posted this track a bit too early, but for me it's like "this one is done - time to move on to other things". I have to force myself to call my tracks finished at an almost arbitrary point.

Choon :) Great sounds. I'm listening on monitors. The central bass doesn't bother me. Great melodies and I loved the lead synth that came in at 3:25.

Good work :)

I was trying to improve this track for two months, changed some synths, adjusted levels and stuff. Maybe it's overcooked now, but I'm feeling myself falling into an endless recursion loop of making changes and being not happy with the result.

Please let me know how it sounds now.

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/recursive-matrix

Return to “Music Cafe”