Narrowing a stereo image ... I don't think the MPlugins I own can do that, but ... maybe?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi - I was wondering if any of my plug-ins (MCompare, MAutoVolume, MAutoDynamicEQ) can be used somehow to narrow a stereo image while avoiding all the usual artifacts (comb-filtering, etc.). A whole bunch of my samples are way too wide (piano, strings, etc.) for my liking!

I suppose if what I own can't be used to do that, I'd be interested in looking at a Melda plug-in that could ... are there any?

Thanks!

http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/ ... ord=stereo
That's the stereo spatialization plugins.

Personally, I use MStereoSpread for basic stereo adjustment without adding any 'fake' stereo effect.

Yes! But note that if your samples are not "mono compatible" there just will be artifacts, nowhere around it, yet :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Yes! But note that if your samples are not "mono compatible" there just will be artifacts, nowhere around it, yet :D
Ah, I had heard there might be a way to do just that, for example someone suggested splitting the "mono incompatible" file into L/R components and adjusting the phase of one side or another before then recombining to get a good result.

This is way over my head, thus the simplistic nature of my OP!

Thank you! :)

Well, sure, good luck! :D That's the problem, if you have just a natural delay, you can use MAutoAlign. But the phase may be distorted anyhow and changing all the time, in which case...
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Well, sure, good luck! :D That's the problem, if you have just a natural delay, you can use MAutoAlign. But the phase may be distorted anyhow and changing all the time, in which case...
Ughh ...

But thanks!

Wouldn't a plain seperate L/R pan with PanLaw settings like in Mutility be enuff?
set L & R to whatever like 65% then adjust the PanLaw to your likeing for the blendined monosignal's character. But then if you have, as already mention, mono compability issues it would require more complex work and innovative methods specific to each sound. In such case there are no simple solution.

If your source is not mono compatible, there is no solution right now. If it is, you can use pretty much any of our plugins, which has a gain :) - just set it to Side channel mode and lower the gain ;).
Vojtech

I seem not to understand the problem here. MStereoProcessor lets you easily narrow down stereo width without any problems or artifacts. What do I miss?

Yes, but if things are out of phase, there is no way to fix it. Just try inverting one channel's phase, widening control will then be, well, gain ;).
Vojtech

Ah, I see. Just tried it. I learned something new :-)

Return to “MeldaProduction”