Why have you Not Purchased Orion over the Years?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Orion

It would appear that Orion is gone for good. I thought this is a much needed discussion and that we can prove the devs wrong that we can't talk about this in a civilized fashion. I was rude to Bonez in the past over religion and was very much in the wrong. I think Orion would still get some use if they brought it back at at discounted price.

For me it just didn't get enough advertisement as other DAWs do. That, and even by 2009 it seemed that development was already slowing down on it. It's interesting that 5+ years later it still gets praise occasionally and many still use it, though no longer developed.

Speaking as someone who never used it... it always seemed to me that the target market for Orion was unclear. It always struck me as a "beginner's host" - from a mere cursory examination, mind you.

If you're new to the whole computer music shebang and start to look around, you'll find Protools, Cubase, FLStudio, Live, Logic - Orion didn't exactly have a high profile. If you've been around, you're probably so used to your workflow and your host of choice that switching would take some convincing.

From a casual glance, it always looked a bit unprofessional to me - judging a book by its cover, I know. But I was not in the market for a new host, and there was nothing there that said: "try me instead!".

It has no decent support for recording and manipulating audio.

Nothing complex. I tried it and didn't see any value in it for me, like hundreds of other things I tried and didn't buy.

I think any developer with the skill to creat something so nice should be applauded. :clap: That obviously doesn't automatically mean everyone will actually like it and buy it.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A DAW is a huge investment, mostly of time, effort and inspiration. For anyone who's serious about his work, the choice of tools is very important. Especially if you have to make the correct choice which is tricky with software that evolves over 10+ years. And so on.

In short, back then (for me 2003-2004 and onwards), it was obvious that Orion is not good enough, there were not enough resources behind it, and that all of this guy's work is quite 'meh'. In retrospect, all those who didn't buy Orion were right. Orion died because of lack of interest in what was on offer, so the relatively small resources were redirected to coding a synth, which is - surprise, surprise! - also not good enough, despite trying hard.

Over the years, other small developers also faded out/changed direction, but some of them left behind classic software that I will always love, whether I use it or not, e.g. EnergyXT 1.4.1, Jeskola Buzz, Sonicbytes ERA, Albino 2, etc. Is Orion in the same league? Not at all, IMHO.

Orion may be "not complex", "a beginners DAW","not good enough",but has whatever you elite, pro's use made you the next big thing? Are you any better off for using the state of the art DAW? I think not! You are just believing your own hype. Stop sucking your own dicks, you are unknown, unsigned, and just like the rest of us. :hihi:
"Everything we hear is an opinion,not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective,not the truth." _ Marcus Aurelius

Silence....just what I thought. When you debut your next commercial release..HOLLA! :!:
"Everything we hear is an opinion,not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective,not the truth." _ Marcus Aurelius

I bought it millions of years ago and thought to myself, "damn, this is a lot for your money". It would have been great had Richard kept up with it and brought it into the future. I thought it was pretty damn good and I'm sure others did as well. You know what? I think I'll break that puppy out and... :hihi:

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

@ Karma_tba

As I said above, some of my alltime favourite music apps are freeware, cheapware, abandonware. Orion is not one of them, never will be. Whether I'm signed, unsigned or other is irrelevant. The OP asked a question, anyone is free to answer on topic or offtopic. I don't like harsh language, expletives, etc. but I'll be the same as you and reply: go f**k yourself, idiot!

Karma_tba wrote:Silence....just what I thought. When you debut your next commercial release..HOLLA! :!:
That silence is just us bowing our heads in proxy embarrassment.

I used it for a while and found it was fantastic in terms of workflow, things just seemed to fall out of it quickly. But I recall that I could never finish an entire track in there, I was always forced to use something else alongside it. That's a killer.

toothnclaw wrote:@ Karma_tba

As I said above, some of my alltime favourite music apps are freeware, cheapware, abandonware. Orion is not one of them, never will be. Whether I'm signed, unsigned or other is irrelevant. The OP asked a question, anyone is free to answer on topic or offtopic. I don't like harsh language, expletives, etc. but I'll be the same as you and reply: go f**k yourself, idiot!
I may be an idiot ,but you have not justified your criticism. If your lack of commercial success is irelevant so are you, fool.

ariston wrote:
Karma_tba wrote:Silence....just what I thought. When you debut your next commercial release..HOLLA! :!:
That silence is just us bowing our heads in proxy embarrassment.
Are you speaking for everyone or just yourself? Proxy? You are the Donald Trump of music!

it took less than one page to see this thread go belly up :party:

i sold it because of workflow issues and support was less than stellar...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”