which is your GO-TO Spectrum Analyzer + question about it

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:)

+ should a song always be looking like this for example?

https://sevenphases.files.wordpress.com ... png?w=1000

so it has a balanced frequencymix?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Voxengo Span

No.

You should use reference mixes when mixing down your stuff. I use reference mixes once I've got things pretty much where I think it's good, just to balance out levels where necessary. A few of my references don't look like that at all - decent gap in the mid frequencies, but that's also techno music so take that for what it's worth.

+1 for reference mixes!

My favorite analyzer right now is the free one from Vengeance. It's pretty great! I also quite like the offerings from Blue Cat .. they were my go-to until VPS Scope came out.

The only spectrum analyzer I use is my ears. I have never been able to make a connection between what I see in an analyzer and what I hear in my ears. I figure if it sounds like I want it to, I don't really need to know what it looks like.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

JJBiener wrote:The only spectrum analyzer I use is my ears. I have never been able to make a connection between what I see in an analyzer and what I hear in my ears. I figure if it sounds like I want it to, I don't really need to know what it looks like.
That's a good point, and I find myself gravitating towards that as well. However, when you're learning to produce and learning how to hear critically and what to listen for, analyzers can help a great deal.

What I look for in analyzers at this point is stray peaks that may need to be tamed a bit. But overall levels and things...no, I'd rather see how my mix stacks up to pro mixes out there instead.

nugen vizualizer, I like the level of customization and how snappy and real-time it feels, I wish it had an oscilloscope but there's the free Scope for that, it's pretty good.

MeldaProduction MMultiAnalyzer and MAnalyzer. And sometimes Vengeance Scope CM (quite CPU hungry).

I just use the one built in ProQ2 (or whatever EQ you're using).

+1 for VPS Scope from Vengeance Sound. It has a killer list of features along with the Spectrum Analyzer. The real-time waveform scope and the intuitive stereo-field display made this one a must-have for me.

IXL Analyzers... still havent got the same tilt for the curve on Span :/
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Normally Blue Cat Audio's Freq Analyst Pro...

Or Freq Analyst Multi...

Every once in awhile, Nugen's Visualizer.

Also Blue Cat Audio's Digital Peak Meter Pro is THE best Peak Meter out there for me. And customizable to see only what you want to see. I almost always use a version with only the top two of the four sections displayed below...

However, I think if I didn't already have so many basic utility plugs (Sonalksis, FabFilter, Flux), I would have to seriously check out Hofa Plugins. Several of them look really elegant and useful, including their IQ Analyzer v2...

Canartic
downtempo.dub.psychedelic.twang
lossless downloads here...

thanks a lot mates, i have from tracks the analyzer but it is so small etc. :(
imma get the vengeance scope CM plugin, imma check where to buy the digital mag!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

BDeep wrote:I just use the one built in ProQ2 (or whatever EQ you're using).
Same here for individual instruments, buses, etc. when I'm mixing.

For final mixdowns (e.g., when mastering/finalizing), my go-to is the SA in the Flux Pure Analyzer.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

I also second using Reference Mixes. At best I typically will check the RMS of my favorite commercial release that fits the style of the song I'm working on, but I do use a Frequency Analyzer to look at the Spectral balance of the mix. PAZ analyzer has been an old standby for me. I started using the meters in Ozone when I started using it. I don't really know why the meters all read different, but I those two have been the only meter's I've used for RMS. I then use Pro-Codec, from Sonnox, to measure my Inter Sample Peaks. Been a great 1,2, 3 punch for me thus far.
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

Caine123 wrote:thanks a lot mates, i have from tracks the analyzer but it is so small etc. :(
imma get the vengeance scope CM plugin, imma check where to buy the digital mag!
If you are on a MAC you can CM at the App Store / Newstand.

+1 on ref mixes as well. Magic A/B has become a staple for me. Also worth checking it out! :phones:
"Yeah Butch tell Paul McCartney what to do..." - Dave Grohl, Sound City

Return to “Effects”