Spatial positioning idea

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was thinking it would be nice to have a spatial positioning effect from Melda. Of course now in Mreverb this concept already exists to an extent, I think a separate and more powerful plugin would be nice.

The graphic interface of Mreverb(where you move the icon around the soundstage) is great. I think it would be nice to keep this, but instead of a reverb use delay/ERs and EQs.

I think something like "proximity" by Tokyo dawn would be good on the dry signal. As the source moves backwards in the sound stage the high end is rolled off and the volume decreased slightly. Also I believe Mstereoenhancer gives a nice room effect using some sort of spectral effect(I might be thinking of the wrong stereo effect). Adding that effect and then decreasing the width as the source moves back would also help add depth to recordings.

From there you could add left/right/center delays to mimick the effect of echoes bouncing off the walls. Of course the delay times would be calculated based on width and length parameters. The walls could also have things like hardness parameters that would let you specify how bright or dark the reflections should be, which would simulated materials such as wood, drywall, etc. A parameter that would allow you to adjust how much a delay feedback into another delay would be nice too. Perhaps even a disfusion control or something similar would be good. Experimenting with a delay of the dry sound based on its position in the room might also be useful(or not)

Of course most of this could be done now with MXXX, but I think the real magic of this plugin would linking it to other instances. In Mmultianalyzer you can see what the other instances are doing and if in this plugin you could see where other insturments are positioned I think this would be a great help. Have all the instances' parameters linked such width, length, material/hardness, feedback, etc and then in each instance you can move each instance around while seeing the other instrument positions. This would be really powerful along with the A/B functions in all melda plugins. For example if you were doing an orchestral piece you could audition many different panning and depth possibilities easily.

There is already a plugin similar to this called Virtual sound stage, but it's expensive, works slightly differently and I believe it's geared towards classical music. I think this could be a cheaper, more versatile alternative.
I know you're busy, but I think this would a valuable plugin that wouldn't have much competition.

I've been looking for practical and reliable 3D-audio placement software for use in a stereo signal for years. The only one I've been impressed with so far is Q-sound; all HRTF-based solutions are very touchy and don't work consistently.

From my limited understanding of how Q-Sound works (which they never actually explain, though some hints appear, as in , paraphrasing, "an alternate set of time-constants is available through an alternate set of capacitors." Which seems to suggest that location and directivity may be harnessing phase, volume, Doppler fx, frequency response and delays between the ears, rather than mapping to HRTF. Whatever they're doing, works very well.

If there ever is a plugin developed for this by Melda, I would suggest they keep these things in mind and develop a good solid working solution.

Already in progress folks ;).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

:tu:

MeldaProduction wrote:Already in progress folks ;).

Wow. Sounds great. Next time I'll save myself the trouble of writing and remember that you can read my mind. This is the 2nd time. First MCompare and now this.

Neat!
+1
this is where I live, hear... <3
:::DDD

MeldaProduction wrote:Already in progress folks ;).
A tool like for example Virtual Sound Stage? You must be kidding. Is there anything you do not have in progress? Haha! :D

Well I would find it unbelievable great to see such a tool from Melda. Yesterday I downloaded the demo from Virtual Sound Stage and I have to say that this tool is unbelievable! It nearly takes no CPU with multiple instances. I tried to rebuild something like this only with MReverb inside MXXX, but unfortunately it took doulbe to triple the CPU as VSS. So now a question by the way: are you also aware of CPU usage regarding such a tool?

In the end I would clearly wait for your tool, before buying something else, hehe.
System: Win 10 64 bit / i9 9900K (8x 3.6 GHz) / 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM / 1TB M.2 SSD + 2x 500 GB SSD / RME Babyface / Reaper

Tagirijus.de

Hehe I have many projects in progress :D. Too many ideas... :D

Tagirijus: Reverbs always take lots of CPU, this one should be much easier in that aspect.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

I know, I know. :) ... nevertheless I am totally looking forward to this thing you are talking about. :)
System: Win 10 64 bit / i9 9900K (8x 3.6 GHz) / 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM / 1TB M.2 SSD + 2x 500 GB SSD / RME Babyface / Reaper

Tagirijus.de

Interesting.

Melda has become a place I trust a lot. I am really looking forward to this.
SOUND!

Sorry for offtopic, but:
1. You are right, hehe.
2. Nice to meet some other german guy here.
3. Very nice to meet another EBU R128 "supporter".
4. Your studio looks very cool! :)

Tagirijus.de

Thanks for the off topic :love:
SOUND!

Any news on this?
I'm looking and evaluating lots of spatial plugins since a long time, but the one I think has the best sounding is the one by Wave Arts called "Panorama": http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/panorama/

Just listen to their examples (best on headphones).

Anything planned like this by Vojtech? I'm sure he can do even better... ;)
http://www.wildcafe.com -> artist website | http://www.danaandwild.com -> artist website
http://www.phonicfusion.com -> label website | http://www.bedengler.com -> parent enterprise

http://www.web-kasse.at -> web project

I actually already have this done, including various other psychoacoustic clues and even realtime raytracing, but I decided not to release it and it will be part of the "mixing revolution".
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:I actually already have this done, including various other psychoacoustic clues and even realtime raytracing, but I decided not to release it and it will be part of the "mixing revolution".
That's great to hear. I thought you abandoned the idea. The mixing revolution is sounding better and better.

Return to “MeldaProduction”