BAD NEWS, EVERYONE ...!! (who is 'print' reader of Computer Music ...!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ADM CM Blue Cat's FreqAnalyst CM Edition CM-101 CM-303 CM-505 CMplay Curve 2 CM EnergyCM IIEQ Pro CM LP10 CM WaveShaper CM

I don't know if others have noticed this, because there has been no publication (or warning!) about it, but CM is now doing what other magazine did before them. They are 'ditching' the DVD!

That's right: from the next issue on it is download from that cursed 'Vault' thing only ... !!

This is very unfavourable to people that have small bandwidths and download limits ...

The sneaky part is that they didn't publish or warn us beforehand ...

So ... if you're feeling as pee'd off about this as I am let yourself be heard, write to the editor (or pm Lee CM here). Let's petition them and let them know this is not a good development!!!

I for one am seriously thinking whether I should renew my subscription if they will not provide a DVD anymore! Then I'm better off with BEAT magazine (Which nowadays trumps CM in every aspect anyways! So many good things have disappeared from CM in the past years ...)

(If you have renewed your subscription, say half a year ago then you have paid for a physical DVD, so you can try asking for a partial restitution of your subscription fee)

Let us try to stop this nonsenses and neglect of people's needs for a change ...

"Kids! Get off my lawn!"

zxant wrote: 
I for one am seriously thinking whether I should renew my subscription if they will not provide a DVD anymore! Then I'm better off with BEAT magazine (Which nowadays trumps CM in every aspect anyways! So many good things have disappeared from CM in the past years ...)
Like? Beat always offered the worse content and the worse magware. The magazine part is really pretty much a joke. CM's articles are at least a bit interesting.

Of course, sorry to hear that for the people with low bandwidth. I have to admit though that i would think those are very few compared to the mass of people with a fast internet connection, so i can see why they think it's a good idea to ditch the DVD. No problem for me, as i always bought the digital issue, the import print edition is unaffordable here anyway.

I long ago stopped buying the print edition. Never had a subscription to it because I only wanted certain issues. Plus since it was an import it was hard to find, not to mention the DVD always seemed to get pilfered. At $5.00 vs. $15.95 the digital copy is a no-brainer. I usually pass on the samples so my download times are reasonable. Access to back issues is another plus.
"Everything we hear is an opinion,not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective,not the truth." _ Marcus Aurelius

At $5.00 vs. $15.95 the digital copy is a no-brainer.
Isn't a DVD a digital copy?

Digital copy in this context refers to the digital edition of the mag.

zxant wrote: 

Let us try to stop this nonsenses and neglect of people's needs for a change ...
Everyone's needs are different. I'd prefer a soft copy myself... (not that I'd read it any more).

Seems to me a much more convenient option.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I only stayed with the printed copy to get a DVD I could stash away. The last DVD was so full of errors that several videos wouldn't play and a number of the samples weren't readable. So as soon as they dump the DVD I'm also going download-only.

Karma_tba wrote: At $5.00 vs. $15.95 the digital copy is a no-brainer.
And if you take out a sub during a Zinio sale, that'll be about $1 per issue.

I'm sure it was a cost saving measure. The cost of the DVD, case and additional postage/handling probably started to add up. If this allows them to provide more content per issue then it will indeed be GOOD news...... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:I'm sure it was a cost saving measure. The cost of the DVD, case and additional postage/handling probably started to add up. If this allows them to provide more content per issue then it will indeed be GOOD news...... :wink:
Plus theft

Back when I used to read them at a bookstore to see if I wanted to buy a copy Id say at least half usually had the dvds stolen out of them. If the dvd is gone someone probably isnt going to buy that copy, so half the issues would probably go unsold

ezelkow1 wrote: Plus theft

Back when I used to read them at a bookstore to see if I wanted to buy a copy Id say at least half usually had the dvds stolen out of them. If the dvd is gone someone probably isnt going to buy that copy, so half the issues would probably go unsold
Good point. Now that you mention it several times when I went to a bookstore to buy a copy many of the DVDs were gone............ :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I say bring me back Amiga Format with the double 3.5 disk issues!

Numanoid wrote:I say bring me back Amiga Format with the double 3.5 disk issues!
You're showing your age! :lol:
"Everything we hear is an opinion,not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective,not the truth." _ Marcus Aurelius

I noticed that in the latest issue's next month page there was no mention of the DVD. This may tip me over to a purely digital subscription. Ordinarily i wouldn't mind however I tend to watch the CM vids and go through the samples on my laptop at work (where my only internet connection is tethered to my mobile). The DVD is really just a convenience, but without it i'm not sure i'd want to pay the additional cost of a print subscription.

It's a shame the digital version doesn't come as a PDF really.

Who is still reading these magazines anyway? Every time I leaf through one of them at the store, all I see is reviews for software I've known about for months, and tutorials for making EDM basslines.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Instruments”