Logic ES2 vs Sylenth1?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use Logic and I know ES2 well. I don't currently have any plugins. What does Sylenth1 offer that ES2 doesn't. I like the feel/workflow and sound of Sylenth1 but I'm wondering if my money would be better spent elsewhere.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

ilikeaudio123 wrote:What does Sylenth1 offer that ES2 doesn't.
Hundreds of available dance/EDM third-party soundsets, for one.

Otherwise, the ES2 is a good synth, if somewhat clean and germanic. Sylenth can be grungier and it has some features like gating/arpeggiators etc but I was never really that moved by the basic sound of Sylenth.

If I was spending a couple of hundred bucks on a synth, it wouldn't be Sylenth, but ymmv...

One of my big regrets is, like so many before me, succumbing to the temptation of (needlessly) buying synth after synth and plugin after plugin rather than truly getting to know the (generally quite strong) instruments and effects already available in my DAW (also Logic, in my case). Don't get me wrong, I have some additional plugins that definitely add to Logic's capabilities, and that I'm very glad to own. But generally speaking, being skeptical of obtaining new plugins until they're of definite value to you is a very good thing.

And on that note, I especially don't know why any Logic user would ever get Sylenth, given the developer's lackadaisical attitude towards updates (and the fact that, as of this writing, it's not directly compatible in Logic X anyway without investing the money, time and trouble into a bit bridge). If you feel the need to get some additional synth, my advice would be to get something else.

Personally I think Sylenth's UI is better as ES2 is a bit of a mess, but once you know it that doesn't really matter.

The Unison in Sylenth is a little bit more 'EDM' friendly, but the difference is minimal.

They are very, very similar.

Your money could be better spent elsewhere, take a look at Tone2 Electra 2 or something really capable, you already got bread&butter synth.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I personally like ES2 a lot better than Sylenth. Never really was on the Sylenth train. I think it's just popular because it can get EDM sounds quickly, that cut in a particular way, but to me it kind of sounds flat and phony.. just my taste though.

If I were a logic user and wanted to get another synth is would definitely be one of the modern wavetable beasts.

Synthmaster (the new update coming is RAD)
Dune 2
Massive
Serum (which I want to love, but the sound is also a little "flat" to me)
Zebra (also a little bland character wise, but it has so much sound sculpting power that you can overcome that.)

or Maybe an FM synth like FM8

That's what I think anyway.

I guess Sylenth1 is so popular in EDM circle, because it can do "that" kind of sound very, very well. At least for me it pretty much nails that sound. Don't know if ES2 does the supersaws or pluck sounds remotely equally well, so that might be the difference.

But for that amount of money, i'd rather consider Spire, which takes a similar spot, but offers so much more for the same (or less?) money. Don't want to bash Sylenth1, but feature wise it lacks a lot compared to equally prices plugins.

I would also recommend against Sylenth1 (at least until they finally release their 64-bit AU version, but maybe not even then). I would suggest the synths mentioned earlier, but would also add Spire to (maybe the top of) the list. Hive is worth adding to the list, too.

Naenyn wrote:I would also recommend against Sylenth1 (at least until they finally release their 64-bit AU version, but maybe not even then). I would suggest the synths mentioned earlier, but would also add Spire to (maybe the top of) the list. Hive is worth adding to the list, too.
Yep... I'd agree. I like Sylenth and it's a good synth. But god knows if it will ever materialize at least with Spire, Electrax, HIVE, or Dune II you know it will be a safe option. :tu:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I would pick some other synth like Spire, Synthmaster.

Sylenth ? Hmm plenty of successful producers use it, ie. Flume but the same we can say probably about Logic ES2.

Sylenth presets are suited more for Electronic , EDM genres - there are tons of banks. I personally like Sylenth because of UI, Sound Quality and tons of quality electronic / edm preset libraries.

chk071 wrote:Don't know if ES2 does the supersaws or pluck sounds remotely equally well, so that might be the difference.
Not that bad :wink:

http://soundcloud.com/standalone-music/ ... by-7-skies
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Rememer that if you want to use Sylenth in Logic x64 you also have to buy 32 Lives becauase Sylenth is not x64 compatible on Mac.

The closest alternative (in sound and functionality) which doesn't have such problem is U-he Hive.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Dune 2 or Hive would be good choices

+1 on Hive

Just found out that both Mystery Island's ES2 soundsets are free, so in case anyone missed it like myself. :tu:

https://www.mysteryislands-music.com/pr ... -2-bundle/

https://soundcloud.com/mystery-islands/ ... es2-bundle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr7crrQV-XM

Return to “Instruments”