Plugin installations often try to create a Steinberg folder?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Often when I install a plugin, the installer wants to create a folder called 'Steinberg' and put the .dll in there, rather than the vst plugin folder.

Anyone know how to stop this? It's getting a bit annoying now, as I don't even use Cubase or any other Steinberg products.

You could try this (if on Win):

http://www.asseca.org/setVSTpath/index.html

I don't know why this is, but there doesn't seem to be a default VST plugin path for 64-bit plugins like there is for 32-bit ones. 32-bit plugins can just check this one registry value that already exists on most computers that have a VST-capable DAW installed, but with 64-bit, plugin and tool installers have to come up with their own methods. The Steinberg location is just a commonly found one that many developers have decided to use in their 64-bit installers, in the absence of a more authoritative location.

That tool that no_use pointed to will create a 64-bit plugin path value (and will set the 32-bit value if you don't have it set already), which should do what you want for plugins that are written to look for a 64-bit (and/or 32-bit) VstPluginsPath value, but it won't be a 100% fix, because many plugin installers have their own way of setting a default plugin location for 64-bit. Definitely worth a try though, because I bet it will improve the situation a bit.

I install all my plugins in top-level folders on a separate drive (g:\plugins32, g:\plugins64), and I've found that while most installers never default to those locations, most of them auto-complete for me when I start typing the correct path, so it's less of a headache than it used to be when I had everything under the 32-bit/64-bit Program Files folders.

My main beef is installers that don't let you choose an install location at all... some of them even shove plugins into their own proprietary folders without telling you where they put the DLLs!

That will only helps if the installer looks for that definition in the registry. Unfortunately, many installers come with a destination folder pre-defined .../Program Files/Steinberg/VstPlugIns/
When that's the case, there's nothing we can do except manually change the place.
Fernando (FMR)

The crazy thing is, that this is the official recommendation from Steinberg to use "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins" (for 64Bit plugins). So it's not wrong if a developer is using such hard coded path in the installer scripts.
Unfortunately this cannot be changed by the user only the developer of the setup can do this.

Anyway, somebody starts to use the key VSTPluginsPath in the registry (there are different locations for 32 and 64 Bit plugins) and most of the plugin developers are reading this key to set a default installation path in the folder selection page of the setup dialog.
The not so talented developers don't provide a installation path selector and installing their stuff without asking to the recommended path ~Steinberg\VstPlugins

Simplest solution to plugins with no way to choose your own path: don't install them -- and let the developer know.

pljones wrote:Simplest solution to plugins with no way to choose your own path: don't install them -- and let the developer know.
I don't think that's the OP's issue, rather that the installer's default path for the plugin installation is the /Steinberg/VstPlugins folder... as 4damind wrote, there's no way you can stop that if it's coded into the installer. Plugins which use the system VSTPath on the other hand can be directed to a desired path by the method described in No_Use's post.

Btw i came along exactly one single plugin which didn't let me specify the VST plugin path, so it's not really that big of a issue is it? Yes, you have to specify the path in the installer, but then, you have to do that with every software you want to install too.

After installing Rapture (original), the default VST path for me has become /Cakewalk/vstplugins as opposed to Steinberg, i still have to change it to my own VST folder but its odd how so many non-Cakewalk plugins now assume that to be the default. It does depend on the developer though, u-he plugins seem to remember my preferred location from last time for example.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”